Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Huge updates to AudioShare and AUM

Comments

• edited April 2021

Not essential. Were just bored. Probably wont bother but maybe the grey bars at top of apps would be better to make colours. Like the nodes.

I guess even with its traffic lightness. Still better than names.

• edited April 2021

@j_liljedahl I got another idea that I would find very useful. Since the number of my AUv3s is constantly growing I have more and more trouble to locate the plugins that I'm looking for. Especially with FX plugins I have more and more trouble as they have very often fancy names that do not necessarily describe their effect. A problem that also exists with synth presets and a brilliant solution for that is tagging.

So my proposal is a feature to add user managed tags to AUv3s and make them searchable and sortable by tags. Let's say I'm looking for a delay and I have all my delay plugins tagged with 'delay' then it's easy to find all my delays and choose one. Honestly the best would be if Apple would add tags to the AUv3 standard but I would also be extremely happy if AUM would provide that.

Additionally it would be great if these tags could be exported and imported so that other AUv3 hosts could also use them and users could exchange their tags.

• edited April 2021

@krassmann said:
    @j_liljedahl I got another idea that I would find very useful. Since the number of my AUv3s is constantly growing I have more and more trouble to locate the plugins that I'm looking for. Especially with FX plugins I have more and more trouble as they have very often fancy names that do not necessarily describe their effect. A problem that also exists with synth presets and a brilliant solution for that is tagging.

So my proposal is a feature to add user managed tags to AUv3s and make them searchable and sortable by tags. Let's say I'm looking for a delay and I have all my delay plugins tagged with 'delay' then it's easy to find all my delays and choose one. Honestly the best would be if Apple would add tags to the AUv3 standard but I would also be extremely happy if AUM would provide that.

Additionally it would be great if these tags could be exported and imported so that other AUv3 hosts could also use them and users could exchange their tags.

Interesting idea, but sounds like a maintenance nightmare. You could use a separate app, like Notes, to maintain your own lists. I've done this using the Simplenote app. Here's a slice of my list. Notice that it lets me include other descriptive info, not just a bare tag.

And I can view this list in Slide Over while using the AUM Add menu.

• @uncledave I also started such a list now and then I got the tagging idea. Maybe the export/import and sharing is too much but a simple tagging, search and sort shouldn't be a maintenance hell.

• @krassmann said:
    @uncledave I also started such a list now and then I got the tagging idea. Maybe the export/import and sharing is too much but a simple tagging, search and sort shouldn't be a maintenance hell.

Somewhat outside the scope of and audio routing/processing app though. I prefer apps that do one thing well, and let me combine them as I choose.

• I have requested something like tagging previously, as it's absolutely necessary for the way I work, and is common in the desktop world.

I prefer apps that have absolutely necessary built in functionality rather that painful workarounds.

• @uncledave said:

@krassmann said:
    @uncledave I also started such a list now and then I got the tagging idea. Maybe the export/import and sharing is too much but a simple tagging, search and sort shouldn't be a maintenance hell.

Somewhat outside the scope of and audio routing/processing app though. I prefer apps that do one thing well, and let me combine them as I choose.

I also prefer focused software but IMHO it is in the scope as AUM is an AUv3 host and it should be easy to browse and find your AUv3s. C'mon, many synths also have tagging for their presets for the same reason. I mean AUM also supports AUv3 search or sort them by developer.

• @krassmann said:

Yes, tagging of plugins is on my TODO list. Actually there already is functionality for tagging in AUv3, and some plugin developers have added tags to their plugins. I will investigate if global user tags would be possible or if it would be AUM only.

• edited April 2021

@j_liljedahl said:

@krassmann said:

Yes, tagging of plugins is on my TODO list. Actually there already is functionality for tagging in AUv3, and some plugin developers have added tags to their plugins. I will investigate if global user tags would be possible or if it would be AUM only.

Thank you so much. Didn’t know that AUv3 supports tags, but that makes perfect sense. Would be of course a good practice if AU developers would always set some meaningful tags. The question is if they are user editable.

• @krassmann said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@krassmann said:

Thank you so much. Didn’t know that AUv3 supports tags, but that makes perfect sense. Would be of course a good practice if AU developers would always set some meaningful tags. The question is if they are user editable.

Right. Hope it's not like the app tags Screen Time uses. All my music apps are "Entertainment, Games", not "Creativity", while browsers are "Productivity". Go figure.

• @j_liljedahl would be great if we could save the colors we record for a node , so we can apply directly to another app ...

• Is there a way to make the audioshare folder live inside iCloud or Dropbox? I’m a proper messy so and so, and my sample files both input and output are getting well mixed up as I bounce between phone, iPad and three computers 🥴😆

• edited April 2021

If this ends up being my screen. Iv added another sequencer lane. If that ends up working or not. Not is maybe fine but still and definately with the added lane. Need a master volume output as a sidebar in aum. Nothing massive. Even if it just appears as a green and red line on the very edge of screen as to not cover any apps. 4.04 in vid.

Not needed for me but a sidebar could also serve people that dont have midi controller for launching apps. You could launch apps with a sidebar but the master out is maybe needed. Unless a limiter does always limit. Which I think dosent.

Maybe a customisable sidebar. Start with the vol if you think its needed. Then any further additions like app switching are based on that. Or the volume just be at top of sidebar. Still near edge and then app launching squares be under that. Transparent option also ( for best volume option ) for those not needing to add, custom square app launchers.

• @Krupa said:
    Is there a way to make the audioshare folder live inside iCloud or Dropbox? I’m a proper messy so and so, and my sample files both input and output are getting well mixed up as I bounce between phone, iPad and three computers 🥴😆

AudioShare is set up to be a file provider. It’s home isn’t movable.

• edited April 2021

• Was checking out the strega. Not sure how it works as effects. If it were possible to make a strega virtual effect. Then you could make a bar that is just at botton off screen. If that were ok. Why not add an effects chain in bar, that acts like eventide ribbon controllers. Strega effect with chained auv3 effects. You can use bar to open effect but you can set like ribbons, that would be like volumes.

• edited April 2021

@j_liljedahl : just one more idea: I often build out my pieces by duplicating elements then altering the duplicate in some way. This works fine for the Audio channels, but wastes a lot of screen real estate if duplicating a midi lane, eg, duping a MIDISTEPs instance, as these also stack horizontally, meaning each duped midi app ends up as the single app on a fresh lane, when at least three or four could easily be accommodated vertically without scrolling. Would it be possible to allow a duped midi app instance instead to be drag and dropped onto another midi lane, so they could be stacked vertically?

• +1 for #2> @Svetlovska said:

@j_liljedahl : just one more idea: I often build out my pieces by duplicating elements then altering the duplicate in some way. This works fine for the Audio channels, but wastes a lot of screen real estate if duplicating a midi lane, eg, duping a MIDISTEPs instance, as these also stack horizontally, meaning each duped midi app ends up as the single app on a fresh lane, when at least three or four could easily be accommodated without scrolling. Would it be possible to allow a duped midi app instance instead to be drag and dropped onto another midi lane, so they could be stacked vertically?

Great idea, would love to see that change

• @Gavinski said:
    +1 for #2> @Svetlovska said:

@j_liljedahl : just one more idea: I often build out my pieces by duplicating elements then altering the duplicate in some way. This works fine for the Audio channels, but wastes a lot of screen real estate if duplicating a midi lane, eg, duping a MIDISTEPs instance, as these also stack horizontally, meaning each duped midi app ends up as the single app on a fresh lane, when at least three or four could easily be accommodated without scrolling. Would it be possible to allow a duped midi app instance instead to be drag and dropped onto another midi lane, so they could be stacked vertically?

Drag and drop of nodes between channelstrips (both audio and midi) is something I've wanted to add for a long time, as well as duplication of single nodes.

• Why I often have this problem recently with AUM? All apps are closed except for AUM. I run it on iPad Air 4 with iOS 14.5

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Why I often have this problem recently with AUM? All apps are closed except for AUM. I run it on iPad Air 4 with iOS 14.5

What is connected to your iPad? On my iPad (iOS 13.7), this happens when I connect my attached devices (CCK, midi hub, audio interface, sensel morph, launchkey mini) in some orders and not others.

• I see that briefly when switching to AUM, but it goes out. What does it mean?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Why I often have this problem recently with AUM? All apps are closed except for AUM. I run it on iPad Air 4 with iOS 14.5

What is connected to your iPad? On my iPad (iOS 13.7), this happens when I connect my attached devices (CCK, midi hub, audio interface, sensel morph, launchkey mini) in some orders and not others.

Nothing. A fresh new start and I see that. It's new since iOS 14.5. I don't know if it's related.

• @uncledave said:
    I see that briefly when switching to AUM, but it goes out. What does it mean?

i think it means another process is in control of the audio hardware. if i click on play while that red square is visible, I get an error message about the audio system.

• edited May 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

i think it means another process is in control of the audio hardware. if i click on play while that red square is visible, I get an error message about the audio system.

So, is it another form of the audio engine not running problem? That seems to be related to enhanced security protecting your conversations. Maybe @Montreal_Music needs to check on FaceTime, Messages, etc.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Drag and drop of nodes between channelstrips (both audio and midi) is something I've wanted to add for a long time, as well as duplication of single nodes.

(this would be incredibly useful for Atom 2, and would tremendously lower the workflow overhead in working with multiple instances)

• @blueveek said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

(this would be incredibly useful for Atom 2, and would tremendously lower the workflow overhead in working with multiple instances)

Especially if duplicating a node would also duplicate the midi routings! that would be a game changer

• @sloJordan said:

@blueveek said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Gavinski said:

Especially if duplicating a node would also duplicate the midi routings! that would be a game changer

Yup!

• @uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

So, is it another form of the audio engine not running problem? That seems to be related to enhanced security protecting your conversations. Maybe @Montreal_Music needs to check on FaceTime, Messages, etc.

In my case, it seems to be related to drivers loading and is sensitive to load order/timing. If I plug everything in at once it happens. If I plug in the CCK and then the hub (with nothing connected to it) and then my audio interface then (in turn) the two midi devices all is good. If I vary from the order, I run into this issue. When it happens, if I look in AUM's settings, the buffer size is sometimes an unusual number (I.e. not a multiple of 128)

• @Gavinski said:

I would actually love a button option to compress all of the MIDI lanes into as few as possible. In a mix I was working on last night involving Mozaic and ATOM2, there were 8 MIDI lanes that could easily have been compressed to 2, but it was just too much work to do it manually.