Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - April 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, something completely different to my usual - an ambient jam using mostly my own sound design (all the patches are mine except for one Continua patch by the excellent @Spidericemidas ). I still have a lot to learn in this genre but it's a fun change of pace, and I really like the performance aspect of this workflow, it's a live improvisation, warts and all, nothing quantized or fixed later.

• @richardyot this is great!!!!!!

• I think you might have a lot more entries with a captive audience this month!

• @onerez said:
    @richardyot this is great!!!!!!

Thanks!

@Jocphone said:
    I think you might have a lot more entries with a captive audience this month!

Get writing :)

• @richardyot said:

@onerez said:
    @richardyot this is great!!!!!!

Thanks!

@Jocphone said:
    I think you might have a lot more entries with a captive audience this month!

Get writing :)

Be careful what you wish for.. ;)

• edited April 2020

Had fun making this instrumental. Almost everything done on PC, but the guitar solo at the end I recorded with iPad (Audiobus, DAW Multitrack, Bias FX).

• @richardyot thats a lovley drone lulaby and a perfect soundtrack for the peaceful view Im looking at right now, anyway this is how it sounds to me :)

• edited April 2020

@richardyot - Nice ambient stuff, but not really my thing, sorry. But I can imagine it is fun to make it and the sound of it is good.
    Edit: Iistened to it again, and liked it more :) It has a certain atmosphere which is nice, however my personal preference would be that the solo is less upfront (I mean put more in the back of the mix) but I think thats completely my subjective preference.

Off topic: I think your “Beautiful Girl In A Photograph” song is absolutely excellent! Love it! Great production, melody, voice, voice production, etc, etc. Really quality stuff. I have listened to it several times these past few weeks, cause I like it a lot.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, something completely different to my usual - an ambient jam using mostly my own sound design (all the patches are mine except for one Continua patch by the excellent @Spidericemidas ). I still have a lot to learn in this genre but it's a fun change of pace, and I really like the performance aspect of this workflow, it's a live improvisation, warts and all, nothing quantized or fixed later.

Excellent! Very atmospheric. You should do more like this. I agree the live performance aspect of a setup like this in AUM is fun. Improv with “warts and all” and nothing quantized, makes things feel more organic with more soul, I think. And each time you perform it, will be slightly different and unique. Btw, I didn’t spot any warts! 😉👍

• How do I attach my Audioshare file?

• edited April 2020

@NemanzgbKaj @Spidericemidas @Marcel Thanks for the feedback and the listen! 🙏

@Marcel Glad you like my song from last month (A Beautiful Girl In A Photograph) - it's probably my favourite from all the tracks I've ever done.

• @Marcel said:
    Had fun making this instrumental. Almost everything done on PC, but the guitar solo at the end I recorded with iPad (Audiobus, DAW Multitrack, Bias FX).

Beautiful! Really nice interweaving melodies, the electric piano riff is lovely, and gels really well with the bass and the acoustic piano and synths, and then the guitar really soars at the end.

• @baudious said:
    How do I attach my Audioshare file?

You will have to host it somewhere like SoundCloud, Dropbox or YouTube.

• Space out...

• @Marcel said:
    Edit: Iistened to it again, and liked it more :) It has a certain atmosphere which is nice, however my personal preference would be that the solo is less upfront (I mean put more in the back of the mix) but I think thats completely my subjective preference.

Thanks - that's useful feedback. There's no mix because it's all realtime, but actually I should record the stems out of AUM and then mix them afterwards. That would still retain the performance aspect, but give more control over the levels.

• Chèr.e.s confiné.e.s,

my contribution of the month is from our new album 'The excellent adventures of mr Senyawa' with Guska

The album is free to listen on Soundcloud and Bandcamp

Take care!

(artwork and videos thanks to Patrick Guillot)

• @richardyot Love it man, I've tried this method of arrangement before and it's incredibly difficult lol, so hats of for getting it done and in A TAKE lol.. well one that we see :) such a textural piece

• @baudious said:

Space out...

Neat! I like the video, what apps did you use? Or software in general for the track + vid? Cool groove

• Haven't played along with this in a hot minute. But huzzah, hot off the press. GarageBand iOS, Aparillo, Blocs Wave selections, Replicant 2 and some Effectrix somewhere up in there.

• I used garageband, triqtraq, and noisemusick...video made in imovie...

• Yours is very cool too...

• @baudious said:
    I used garageband, triqtraq, and noisemusick...video made in imovie...

Awesome and AHHHHHHH now I am not going to sleep :astonished: lol

• edited April 2020

Terrible picture. Too big also.

• edited April 2020

I thought it was beautiful, but then there u go...self portrait

• Fairly new to iOS and NEVER finish anything so decided I would challenge myself to do 10 short songs completely in Garageband to learn about writing on my ipad and keep me from getting distracted by the latest shiny object. The first:

• That was smooth and flowing...sets a nice tone with the bells and picked guitar notes...nice natural sounding drums...sweet leaf work.

• @Kitusai - Great track! Original. Weird yet familiar. Likeable. Pro sounding. Jazzy. Modern. Complete. Detailed. Consistent. Colorful. I like it!

• @Marcel hey, thank you!

• @baudious said:

Space out...

Cool track, the sound effects that swish around the stereo field are great. Overall it's too long for me though, especially as there isn't much variation in the beat and the groove, so you're relying on the samples and effects to keep the interest going over the course of 8 minutes, which is a stretch. It could be trimmed down to 3 or 4 minutes and it would be stronger for it IMO.

• Thanks for the honest feedback...