Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[MOSTLY SOLVED!] Auria crashes on launch (not any more!)

Many of you may know that for at least a year, Auria (with Pro upgrade) had been crashing on launch for me, with no solution. This was on iPad Pro 11 rev 2, with every sequential update of iOS and then iOS. Very frustrating, especially since I have spent a few hundred dollars on the app, the Pro upgrade, and most of the IAPs. (FabFilter suite alone is pretty expensive.)

I repeatedly emailed support and sent crash logs, and @WaveMachineLabs couldn't figure it out.

Well, I just got the new 11" Pro, and the first thing I did was installed Auria, restored the Pro upgrade, and restored my many (expensive) IAPs. The install went FLAWLESSLY, and Auria worked perfectly.

Until… I started reinstalling my purchased apps. A lot of them. Including three-star apps that were pretty old. After re-installing my old apps, Auria started crashing on launch again! Maddening. I had hoped the new iPad would solve the problem, and when it returned, I was crushed.

But wait… I remembered this thread I posted a while back about not being able to open MIDI files from the share sheet:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32879/can-t-open-mid-files-from-the-share-sheet-solved#latest

If you read the thread above, I suspected a conflict, I started deleting apps one-by-one. Eventually, I found the culprit, and I was able to share MIDI files from the share sheet once again. Several people remarked that the idea behind iOS is that one app shouldn't be able to break another app at the iOS level. But it can.

So, I decided to do the same thing with my new iPad 11. I started going through my apps (in storage settings) and deleting old apps that might have broken MIDI or IAA. After deleting a batch, I tapped Auria (which I had reinstalled), and, VOILA!, Auria launched! I was able to restore my Pro upgrade and all IAPs FLAWLESSLY, and Auria is working great again, not including a few of the bugs and idosyncracies.

The "mostly solved" denotation of this post is that because I'm not sure exactly which old antique app was causing the conflict. I wasn't deleting and testing one-by-one. But, I don't think I'm missing anything important.

I wish @WaveMachineLabs had been able to at least diagnose the basics of the crash, e.g. identify that some other app was causing a conflict, even if they couldn't identify the exact app. I would have tried this approach to solving it sooner, having had well over $100 of software unusable for so long has been very disappointing.

That said, Auria is an amazing accomplishment, and I have been recommending people buy it all along, even in spite of my isolated problem. So, if Auria is crashing, or if any other app is crashing, or you are having problems at the iOS level, try deleting apps that my be causing a conflict.

While I wish @WaveMachineLabs had been more engaged in solving this problem, considering how much I have spent on their software, I want to thank them for making such a cool app. I am really excited to get back into Auria Pro! (and Drumagog, holy crap fun!)

Comments

• Good to know.

Thanks.

• @johnfromberkeley : I don’t think RIM could have known that another app was highjacking things. The logs probably just show AP crashing in some generic OS call. There wouldn’t be a clue that some installed app was responsible.

Did you keep any sort of list of the apps you deleted?

If you could, it might provide a basis for others that are having problems to see which apps they have in common.

Based on Jonatan’s experience trying to track down why AudioShare wasn’t showing up in the share sheet (cause still unknown), I think it came as. Total surprise that an app could break things in this way.

• I'm glad you have finally got it sorted. To my knowledge this has happened twice before with Auria: the ToneBridge app also used to crash Auria if it was installed on the same iPad, and the Eventide apps also very briefly did the same. Both issues were fixed by the respective developers, but it goes to show that iOS sandboxing is not completely foolproof.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @johnfromberkeley : I don’t think RIM could have known that another app was highjacking things. The logs probably just show AP crashing in some generic OS call. There wouldn’t be a clue that some installed app was responsible.

If you could, it might provide a basis for others that are having problems to see which apps they have in common.

Based on Jonatan’s experience trying to track down why AudioShare wasn’t showing up in the share sheet (cause still unknown), I think it came as. Total surprise that an app could break things in this way.

No, I was sort of in "destroyer mode." That said, I'm a hoarder, and I think it was some early midi tool or experimental IAA synth app. The fact that my experience was so rare (there is one other case on the @WaveMachineLabs message board), I figure it was a pretty esoteric relic.

I'm so glad I'm back up and running, and I really encourage folks to buy Auria and use it. It's great.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @johnfromberkeley : I don’t think RIM could have known that another app was highjacking things. The logs probably just show AP crashing in some generic OS call. There wouldn’t be a clue that some installed app was responsible.

No, I was sort of in "destroyer mode." That said, I'm a hoarder, and I think it was some early midi tool or experimental IAA synth app. The fact that my experience was so rare (there is one other case on the @WaveMachineLabs message board), I figure it was a pretty esoteric relic.

I'm so glad I'm back up and running, and I really encourage folks to buy Auria and use it. It's great.

I lost my mind with Auria for repeated crashes, start up crashes, load crashes, think of a dream involving my dog crashes. Endless. Gave up. Which sucks because I have hundreds of projects etc. Had resolved to just wait until I got a new iPad etc. BUT......I know...

It's the hope that kills you.

I DO have a metric fucktron of apps and now I am duty bound to start deleting them one by one. Hey. Might work. :)

• edited April 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I DO have a metric fucktron of apps and now I am duty bound to start deleting them one by one. Hey. Might work. :)

Look for those weird little apps that aren't in the app store anymore, but only in your purchases. That's the first best way to identify a loser. But, there still are some apps that aren't like that, a great example would be PPG apps, which though not for sale, are still available to download as past purchases.

Then look for tiny apps that are IAA or MIDI, but not necessarily AudioBus.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to delete a truly usable app, and I'm relieved I didn't.

I can't see how other apps could cause crashes ~once launch is successful~, but I could be wrong.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Look for those weird little apps that aren't in the app store anymore, but only in your purchases. That's the first best way to identify a loser. But, there still are some apps that aren't like that, a great example would be PPG apps, which though not for sale, are still available to download as past purchases.

Then look for tiny apps that are IAA or MIDI, but not necessarily AudioBus.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to delete a truly usable app, and I'm relieved I didn't.

I can't see how other apps could cause crashes ~once launch is successful~, but I could be wrong.

Spring cleaning's prolly not a bad thing anyways.... :) Thanks for the nudge.

• You could do a great service to other users if you were willing to re-install apps that you removed one-by-one until Auria Pro starts crashing again. If you also checked to see whether the share-sheet was screwed up that would be huge as well.

I'm not trying to guilt you into it, just making a mild suggestion. ;)

• @wim said:
    You could do a great service to other users if you were willing to re-install apps that you removed one-by-one until Auria Pro starts crashing again. If you also checked to see whether the share-sheet was screwed up that would be huge as well.

Sorry, not practical. The culprit lurks somewhere in my vast purchases.

Also, I'm still getting lots of crashes, and I wonder if further deletions would prevent them.

@wim said:
    You could do a great service to other users if you were willing to re-install apps that you removed one-by-one until Auria Pro starts crashing again. If you also checked to see whether the share-sheet was screwed up that would be huge as well.

Sorry, not practical. The culprit lurks somewhere in my vast purchases.

Also, I'm still getting lots of crashes, and I wonder if further deletions would prevent them.

I've killed more than a hundred this afternoon. I suspect it will end up with just me and Auria sat tense and staring in an empty room....

• @espiegel123 prompted me to search out this thread from the Auria forums after having Auria become a non-stop crashing machine on me a few weeks ago. I also deleted a lot of apps - but never found an actual culprit. I definitely agree that abandonware (like Alchemy, alas) may no longer mesh with Apple's desired best practices, and how that could affect the stability of an app. Let's face it, Cubasis 3 approaches Auria levels of complexity, and for all we know, too many app gremlins could be the culprit there, too.

Also, similar to @johnfromberkeley , Auria is working properly for the most part - but any projects that got corrupted (i.e. stuck on instracrash mode) seem to remain bad news, so ... probably best to start a new project and bring the old projects tracks in to salvage them.

But, I still have more apps I can delete, so if I regain full stability, I'll update this thread. Also, I am writing down each app in Notepad as I delete, and every 5-10 apps I re-test Auria. Although the test breaks might get smaller, as Auria stabilizes (hopefully) more and more. Possibly it's just a lot of little app bleeds, and no single culprit? Guess I'll find out. Anyway, I may be able to offer a list of specific apps if there is a big change from semi-stable back to super stable.

Also worth mentioning (and I will also share this in the Auria group), if the culprit is vulnerability to a number of apps "bleeding" into the workflow, to what degree is it incumbent on the DAW developer to make things more ironclad? I mean, AUM may be lighter, and ApeMatrix may not be a full DAW, but they are similar, and do not seem to be suffering from eternal crash status/increased instability like Auria is. Definitely food for thought.

Thank you, @espiegel123 and @johnfromberkeley for sharing your info and experiences, respectively. Very much appreciated!!

• edited May 2020

Please disregard that comment about Thafknar - loading just fine on another file. The other two projects must be just fried from the night of never-ending crashes.

• @eustressor said:
    So three files I was stuck on for most of the all night crash-a-thon are corrupted. One was repaired by renaming and saving a new version, and managing to close out Auria (which by default makes it the opening project when you start back up) without a crash. The other two are locked up. By now I've deleted over 70 apps, some of which I would like to reinstall as they are recent purchases.

But one thing the two corrupted files that still hang on startup or whenever I attempt to load them have in common: both have instances of Thafknar in them. One of the two crashed right when I tried to load it - the other let me load it, but crashed while I was surfing IR cabinets).

Any Auria users able to confirm whether they've experienced any issues using the Thafknar AU? Not casting shade - I like Thafknar, and my primary use would be in a guitar signal chain in AUM, which loads it just fine.

But if the Thafknar AU hangsup/crashes Auria Pro for anyone else - well, that would be good to know, one way or another!

I havent had any issues with Thafknar though I am on iOS 12.3.1.

Have you backed up your Auria folder and deleted and reinstalled AP?

You also might see if there is a snapshot in the project’s folder that doesn’t crash. See the wiki about how to do that when a project won’t open.

• edited May 2020

@johnfromberkeley I am also dealing with crash in Auria when I load my current project. We should compile a list of problem apps. I just saw Tonebrige used to be a problem. I use tone bridge in my current project. I wil be uninstalling that tonight to see if it changes anything.

For my own experience, I found that zMors EQ was causing my song mixdown to freeze.

• I apologize for not being scientific enough in my culling, but can confirm that after the bloodbath of bits and pieces (almost all older apps) I have been back to productively using and enjoying Auria for the excellent iOS DAW it is.

• @ecou said:
    @johnfromberkeley I am also dealing with crash in Auria when I load my current project. We should compile a list of problem apps. I just saw Tonebrige used to be a problem. I use tone bridge in my current project. I wil be uninstalling that tonight to see if it changes anything.

For my own experience, I found that zMors EQ was causing my song mixdown to freeze.

Look in the wiki for the article about restoring to a previous snapshot when launching a project causes s crash.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ecou said:

Look in the wiki for the article about restoring to a previous snapshot when launching a project causes s crash.

Thank you I will try it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:
    So three files I was stuck on for most of the all night crash-a-thon are corrupted. One was repaired by renaming and saving a new version, and managing to close out Auria (which by default makes it the opening project when you start back up) without a crash. The other two are locked up. By now I've deleted over 70 apps, some of which I would like to reinstall as they are recent purchases.

But one thing the two corrupted files that still hang on startup or whenever I attempt to load them have in common: both have instances of Thafknar in them. One of the two crashed right when I tried to load it - the other let me load it, but crashed while I was surfing IR cabinets).

Any Auria users able to confirm whether they've experienced any issues using the Thafknar AU? Not casting shade - I like Thafknar, and my primary use would be in a guitar signal chain in AUM, which loads it just fine.

But if the Thafknar AU hangsup/crashes Auria Pro for anyone else - well, that would be good to know, one way or another!

You also might see if there is a snapshot in the project’s folder that doesn’t crash. See the wiki about how to do that when a project won’t open.

Yeah, I found out that Thafknar was not a problem shortly after posting and edited my comment. I have used snapshots, and credit them with allowing me to recover the one project I did. Thank you again for your assists, both here and on the Auria forum :smile:

I did keep a list of the apps I removed, and will begin reinstating the ones I need – testing Auria after each reinstall. If I can identify one app that is definitely causing the crash issue, I will update this thread.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I apologize for not being scientific enough in my culling, but can confirm that after the bloodbath of bits and pieces (almost all older apps) I have been back to productively using and enjoying Auria for the excellent iOS DAW it is.

That is good to hear, Mr. Goodyear. Keep your garden nice and orderly and long may you both run! :smile:

• @eustressor said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

Yeah, I found out that Thafknar was not a problem shortly after posting and edited my comment. I have used snapshots, and credit them with allowing me to recover the one project I did. Thank you again for your assists, both here and on the Auria forum :smile:

I did keep a list of the apps I removed, and will begin reinstating the ones I need – testing Auria after each reinstall. If I can identify one app that is definitely causing the crash issue, I will update this thread.

That would be awesome. I will be curious to see if you find the trigger.

There is something that in iOS 13.x interferes with the OS recognizing which apps can open audio files via the share sheet.

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

There is something that in iOS 13.x interferes with the OS recognizing which apps can open audio files via the share sheet.

I have found share sheet problems in iOS 13 in addition to audio files. For example, neither chunky, nor the original Marvin can open files sent via the share sheet anymore. Something must have happened and how share sheet is implemented.

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

I have found share sheet problems in iOS 13 in addition to audio files. For example, neither chunky, nor the original Marvin can open files sent via the share sheet anymore. Something must have happened and how share sheet is implemented.

Man, I deliberately held off from updating for half a year!! Perhaps I should have held out a bit longer. Oh well, for now, Auria appears to be back to normal after a few days. But I still haven’t reinstated any apps, and a few of them, I kind of HAVE to reinstall soon, like the Sub Bass 808 and Aparillo and a few others. Will update if the Achilles Heel app reveals itself.

• @eustressor said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

@espiegel123 said:

@eustressor said:

Man, I deliberately held off from updating for half a year!! Perhaps I should have held out a bit longer. Oh well, for now, Auria appears to be back to normal after a few days. But I still haven’t reinstated any apps, and a few of them, I kind of HAVE to reinstall soon, like the Sub Bass 808 and Aparillo and a few others. Will update if the Achilles Heel app reveals itself.

I suspect that the problem is app is not something of relatively recent vintage. So, those apps are probably safe.

• @eustressor said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Will update if the Achilles Heel app reveals itself.

The AHA moment. Nice :)