Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best synths for experimental sounds on iOS? (Or - what would Hainbach use if he was an iOS musician?

123457»

Comments

• I picked up Fundamental for PC the other day and it's everything you would imagine/hope it could be! I don't know if you heard but he mentioned the forthcoming iOS version in the Peter Blasser episode of the Single Malt conversations series. No release date yet but hopefully it's imminent.

As far as drums and polyrhythmic syncopations go, Patterning 2 is worth a mention - especially as Peter Blasser gave a couple of Shbobo Shnth packs to the user library (which are every bit as fantastic as you'd hope them to be).

I'd second the mentions of the various granular and modular synths already stated, plus obviously everything Apesoft and Igor Vasiliev does forever. Just make sure you have a microcassette dictaphone to hand so that you can record your experiments and feed them back into the iPad :wink:

• edited July 2020

@PeteSasqwax said:
    Just make sure you have a microcassette dictaphone to hand so that you can record your experiments and feed them back into the iPad :wink:

I wish :lol: regret not buying a dictaphone and 4-track cassette back then... My father has a walkman with recording capabilities and a portable tape recorder. But he wouldn't let me borrow it :tongue:

But I do record apps (mainly those with no connectivity) through my mini-rig composed of Zoom ST-224 -> Roland SP-404 -> Boss MicroBR. Then drop those back to ipad

Edit: as a kid I recall exposing part of a tape player I had, so I could slow down or brake the tape speed. Had no idea what I was doing :scream:

• @senhorlampada playing with tape speed is so much fun! I circuit bend / modify cheap consumer tape decks to have pitch/speed control. its pretty simple, and hours of fun.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @senhorlampada playing with tape speed is so much fun! I circuit bend / modify cheap consumer tape decks to have pitch/speed control. its pretty simple, and hours of fun.

Do you just have to use pots for that?

• He has a pack of presets in Quanta by AudioDamage

• @Fingolfinzzz Sometimes you can get away with just a pot. If its a cheap walkman thats usually the case. Some more advanced units require a voltage regulator, which is still pretty simple, but a little more in depth. Ive recently started to make them more playable by having buttons to press with different resistors that then control the playback speed at different rates. Really cool for ambient drones etc.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @Fingolfinzzz Sometimes you can get away with just a pot. If its a cheap walkman thats usually the case. Some more advanced units require a voltage regulator, which is still pretty simple, but a little more in depth. Ive recently started to make them more playable by having buttons to press with different resistors that then control the playback speed at different rates. Really cool for ambient drones etc.

That’s awesome, doesn’t sound too complicated at all. I’ll have to look at some diagrams and get some cassette players I’d be willing to accidentally damage. I like to make tape loops and would love to have more control over them

• @Fingolfinzzz yah its pretty simple! On the cheaper units, there is usually an onboard trim pot that you just cut off and replace with another pot. PreCovid I found old walkmen and similar units at my local swapmeet for a couple bucks. i suppose you could look online, but If things are open in your area, maybe try a second hand shop first.

• I don’t know if this has been mentioned but it is very interesting and makes good use of the touch screen.

https://apps.apple.com/app/hexaglyphics-noise-generator/id963852820

Last time I checked it worked.

• @despego said:
    I don’t know if this has been mentioned but it is very interesting and makes good use of the touch screen.

https://apps.apple.com/app/hexaglyphics-noise-generator/id963852820

Last time I checked it worked.

These apps are freaking amazing Hexaglyphics, Bent.fm, DrOm and Phase rings

• He would use Quanta and his own software, Gauss. : )

• He does use Quanta already lol, even made presets for it

• This thread was made for me :) Surprised no one has mention Voco. I really love it for finding gem occurrences!