Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best synths for experimental sounds on iOS? (Or - what would Hainbach use if he was an iOS musician?

Comments

• edited May 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    It reminds me of Berna 2, but not quite as cool:
    http://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/

Pretty sure berna 2 doesn’t go anywhere as far in modeling the idiosyncrasies that makes these oscillators so interesting. Just as importantly, berna is about modeling the workflow of old studios. From working with the SonicLab bot plugins, I expect the workflow to be its own thoroughly modern thing: the SonicLab modulation system makes sculpting complex behavior over many, many parameters a breeze.

Fingers crossed they will optimize it well enough, and won’t bungle the business side of this, because this is a really cool project.

• All in for a Hainbach app

I dedicated this little ditty to him years ago. I was pleased he responded, and affirmatively.
    I used Apesoft / amazing noises apps a DAW cassette. Which is probably not to far off the mark for what he might use.

• @david_2017 said:
    Speaking of experimental. Does anyone know which plugin(s) could be used to achieve a sort of „Count to 5“ Pedal?

Enso was heavily inspired by the CT5, according to the AD walkthrough video.

• @audiblevideo said:
    All in for a Hainbach app

I dedicated this little ditty to him years ago. I was pleased he responded, and affirmatively.
    I used Apesoft / amazing noises apps a DAW cassette. Which is probably not to far off the mark for what he might use.

Lovely, it's definitely very Hainbach-sounding, both in the general tone and mood and the use of effects.

• Someone upthread mentioned zMors Modular. If you’re up for the DIY, it’s there. If you go through the presets, it’s probably there already. zMors Modular is a monster.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Someone upthread mentioned zMors Modular. If you’re up for the DIY, it’s there. If you go through the presets, it’s probably there already. zMors Modular is a monster.

That would be me.
    I like to bring it up.
    Even more so because here everyone is always looking for the new thing. But there's always an old one that can be awesome. (In the groovebox thread, I brought up Genome not as a sequencer, but as groovebox :lol:)

But yeah, zMors Modular is awesome. And there are cool videos of the dev playing with it and hardware modular together

• Interesting. Never noticed that.
    Enso feeding Enso with very low feedback could real good then :-)

@celtic_elk said:

@david_2017 said:
    Speaking of experimental. Does anyone know which plugin(s) could be used to achieve a sort of „Count to 5“ Pedal?

Enso was heavily inspired by the CT5, according to the AD walkthrough video.

• I think I would add JAF collection filters to this list. Pity they are so expensive, they are really amazing and give me that kind of test equipment type sound vibe.

• Another very Hainbach app: loadker, https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/loadker/id782691053, a ‘fractal driven music generator’ which can do quite marvellous things to samples imported from AudioShare, and can export its performance recordings out as wavs too if you want.

Just two instrument channels, designated kick and HHat, ( but you can import anything you like, obviously) and two FX channels, but you can automate All The Things via a drawing tool inside the app (hit the leftmost A button then the control you want to automate) it syncs via Ableton, plays nice in AUM, and even has a concise 2 page manual which is worth a look at - it is simple to use but you might miss all it is capable of without at least a quick glance at the guide.

Pair this to Ilep https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ilep/id1388225714 , the iVCS3 outboard, and the other aforementioned excellent suggestions above, and of course Hainbach’s own when it arrives, and you’ll be good to go :)

• Thanks Svetlovska! I remember you mentioning this before. What does this bring to the table that is different from, say, Cykle, Polyphase or Ioniarics (adding some AU FX onto them if necessary, as I’m sure most of us have no shortage of FX AU!) I wonder? The drawing tool, obviously, but could one of these others, or another app, produce the same kind of output?

• @Svetlovska said:
    Another very Hainbach app: loadker, https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/loadker/id782691053, a ‘fractal driven music generator’ which can do quite marvellous things to samples imported from AudioShare, and can export its performance recordings out as wavs too if you want.

Just two instrument channels, designated kick and HHat, ( but you can import anything you like, obviously) and two FX channels, but you can automate All The Things via a drawing tool inside the app (hit the leftmost A button then the control you want to automate) it syncs via Ableton, plays nice in AUM, and even has a concise 2 page manual which is worth a look at - it is simple to use but you might miss all it is capable of without at least a quick glance at the guide.

Pair this to Ilep https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ilep/id1388225714 , the iVCS3 outboard, and the other aforementioned excellent suggestions above, and of course Hainbach’s own when it arrives, and you’ll be good to go :)

I just bought Loadker, it is an amazing app. Just spent half an hour before going to work and it went by in a whim. How I did not know about its app before, it is right there in the same alley with Igor Vasiliev apps which I count as some of my favorite.

• JAF Collection filters are worth the price. I put them on everything.

Loadker looks fascinating, might have to get it.

• edited June 2020

@Gavinski : it has two analog synth channels built in, orientated toward analog drum sounds, but it’s big strength is the combination of mangling your own samples with it, (pitch, filter, reverb, delay etc) and using the fractal ‘chaos’ sliders to introduce organic sounding variations to these.

I guess you could achieve something similar with polyphase’s randomisation, and midi out to something else - perhaps Enso, as @celtic_elk suggests.

I tend to use cykle for other purposes - as a variant on conventional midi sequencing, to get a lot of mileage out of a handful of notes by running the lanes at different lengths; and Ioniarics as a way of adding spice and variation to something already being sequenced more conventionally by another app. (This works with Aphelian in arp mode too, driven off the main sequence, triggering the same instrument, to add humanish soloing twiddly bits onto a straight sequence.)

But the great thing about Loadker is that it surprises you. Noodling around with it this morning it turned a very short single synth bass hit I’d taken off an old DAF track into a kind of post punk extended guitar solo, which I had’t planned for at all. Just my kind of random, I guess! :)

• Does sound good!

How would midi-out to enso work? Enso is just an audio looper afaik!

• @Svetlovska said:
    Another very Hainbach app: loadker, https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/loadker/id782691053, a ‘fractal driven music generator’ which can do quite marvellous things to samples imported from AudioShare, and can export its performance recordings out as wavs too if you want.

Hooo boy, thanks for pointing out LoadKer. That promises some juicy manglage.

• edited June 2020

@gavinski - I’ve not done MIDI with Enso, but I know you can used ccs to trigger segments in it? But if I wanted to do that, I’d rather use Sector which is set up for that sort of thing from the get go, and more flexibly too.

• @Svetlovska what is the Ivcs 3 outboard?

• edited June 2020

@despego, as others have mentioned earlier, in addition to the very wonderful main iVCS 3 full synth, Noise, and VCO units which go in the instrument slot in AUM, it’s spring reverb emulations, envelope, VCA and VCF modules are broken out as standalone AU FX units, which you just put in AUMs FX slot like any other effect. It really is a very flexible thing.

• @rms13 said:
    Drambo!

... and miRack. These two are definitely the least limiting for experimental sound design.
    Audulus is not too bad either but it's not an AUv3.

zMors Modular does have a PureData module and almost anything is possible with that but it's not exactly user friendly...

But it can load other AUs which is quite fun.
    Using Drambo as a Chorus effect inside zMors Modular:

• @Svetlovska said:
    @despego, as others have mentioned earlier, in addition to the very wonderful main iVCS 3 full synth, Noise, and VCO units which go in the instrument slot in AUM, it’s spring reverb emulations, envelope, VCA and VCF modules are broken out as standalone AU FX units, which you just put in AUMs FX slot like any other effect. It really is a very flexible thing.

All right. I thought you were talking about a specific ivcs3 module

• Another excellent choice for that Hainbach vibe: Augen x https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/augen-x/id1439844878, now universal. Try sequencing it with cykle https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cykle/id1187680637 and automating with midiLFOs https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/midilfos-midi-modulator/id998273841- pretty awesome! :)

• Hoping that one will go on sale eventually 😰

• Have these last 2, but augenx is very expensive so have passed on that til now

• take any app. hainbach would come up with a way to use it that you would not have thought of.

• Just sampling it and running at half speed 😛

• Ahem, I mean recording to tape and running at half speed, of course

• edited June 2020

@Gavinski if you have cats you’d be surprised how well that technique works on their meows!

Another fun thing to try is flipping the ‘tape’ backwards, recording reverb, delay or fx from an aux return to new track, flipping it forward again, and then playing at half or normal speed. You’ll get delay or reverb swells that come in before the main sound plays. Like a peek forward in time ;)

edit: all over this track, starting on drums at about 55 seconds and guitar about 2:50.

• That sounds great Aleyas

• Or if you have an effect like spring reverb with a short decay, record it on your source at double speed, then shift it back down to normal to speed and the decay or tail length will be twice as long!