Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best synths for experimental sounds on iOS? (Or - what would Hainbach use if he was an iOS musician?

Comments

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Gavinski said:
    Are there any synths on iOS that come close to doing what a beast like the Cocoquantas does, seen here in this super interesting demo by Heinbach, for instance. Things like: cross modulation of pitch between oscillators themselves, not using lfos, then allowing these sounds generated to be sampled and turned into loops inside the synth itself, these loops can then once again cross modulate each other. The most relevant section the video is from around 3 minutes onward for a few more mins, thanks!

You can certainly patch it up in mirack, maybe drambo too. The recipe for patching quantussy cells is here:

http://pugix.com/synth/eurorack-quantussy-cells/

Good to know, thank you, I’ll maybe try my luck with getting to learn Drambo first and only venture into mirack if absolutely necessary. I love these vintage sounds, but the fewer the cables the better, in my book :D

• edited April 2020

@Gavinski said:
    That’s extremely kind of you! Only problem is, I can’t see an x-mod module anywhere in the drambo modules, where is it hiding?

Haha, there is none. The project is the x-mod module so to say, built from simple modules.
    You can place all these into a processor rack and save it for later use.

BTW, you're welcome! 😃

• My point is, I have no idea how to build this yet, and I was trying yesterday but couldn’t figure it out :p

• Shape synth is fantastic for getting weird. You can get some pretty bizarre stuff happening there.

Same for Tardigrain.

• @Gavinski said:
    My point is, I have no idea how to build this yet, and I was trying yesterday but couldn’t figure it out :p

I had to look up the Jupiter 8 schematic too to make sure I'm not building something off 😉
    So it works for you now?

• @mojozart, @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr Cool, never heard of these Quantussy cells!

• I have not too much knowledge of Drambo, nor of modular synthesis, I can’t yet replicate what you have done, because I don’t know yet how to route things to get the ‘key’ knob to show up in the 2nd oscillator. What do I need to link to what to get that to show?

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:
    My point is, I have no idea how to build this yet, and I was trying yesterday but couldn’t figure it out :p

I had to look up the Jupiter 8 schematic too to make sure I'm not building something off 😉
    So it works for you now?

• @Gavinski said:
    I have not too much knowledge of Drambo, nor of modular synthesis, I can’t yet replicate what you have done, because I don’t know yet how to route things to get the ‘key’ knob to show up in the 2nd oscillator. What do I need to link to what to get that to show?

@rs2000 said:

@Gavinski said:

So it works for you now?

OK, I'll upload the patch later on patchstorage.

@giku_beepstreet That's what I meant by being able to temporarily show cables between modules.
    I could then easily just post a screen shot, done.

• Thanks! And yes, the temporary cable thing is a very good idea. Or for example some kind of screen that shows you clearly what is connected to what, a kind of connection matrix screen.

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks! And yes, the temporary cable thing is a very good idea. Or for example some kind of screen that shows you clearly what is connected to what, a kind of connection matrix screen.

That's what I thought, yes.

Here you go: https://patchstorage.com/cross-modulation-xmod-example/

• Very nice of you to take the time, I'll get on that later today for sure! Cheers

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shroom, Mitosynth, Soundscaper, Synthscaper, FRMS, Borderlands Granular, Audulus, Sunvox, Drambo.
    Maybe all synths with the right FX. Sometimes i see people setting up hours of modulars and then it sounds like a simple subtractive synth with 1-2 FX added, lol.
    You do not need always tons of connections to get interesting sounds.
    But i personally prefer granular synths with custom samples or indeed modulars with some crazy feedback paths.
    Maybe even the best (for me at least) are things like Metasynth or Kaleidoscope which uses pictures/graphics to create sounds. Is there something like this for iOS.
    What about a Drambo module like this :D

• edited April 2020

@Clueless said:
    Shroom, Mitosynth, Soundscaper, Synthscaper, FRMS, Borderlands Granular, Audulus, Sunvox, Drambo.

Thnx

Maybe all synths with the right FX. Sometimes i see people setting up hours of modulars and then it sounds like a simple subtractive synth with 1-2 FX added, lol.

Hahaha. Yeah. On this note I really can't wait for the new Igor Vasiliev fx app to come out. Love fieldscaper, I think I definitely need to get synthscaper at some point.

• edited April 2020

@rs2000
    That x-mod thing is nice knowledge :) Thanks!
    I played with that technique last night...for a loooong time

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can anyone explain what is going on with bundle pricing here? In both of these it is actually more expensive to buy the app as part of the bundle than to just buy the app at full price. If I click on the bundle price, it doesn’t change, as I expected it might...

• @Gavinski said:
    Can anyone explain what is going on with bundle pricing here? In both of these it is actually more expensive to buy the app as part of the bundle than to just buy the app at full price. If I click on the bundle price, it doesn’t change, as I expected it might...

The way bundles work is that they are a set price for a group of apps, that provide some discount off the purchase of all of the apps at full price.

When you buy an app, that price is removed from the bundle price. HOWEVER, the amount removed is the amount you actually paid, not the "normal", full price.

So, if you bought several apps on sale, the remaining amount on a bundle can be more than the individual app price.

For example:
    Three apps are sold at $5 for a total of $15 individually. The bundle for all three is $12.
    If you buy one app at $5, the remaining bundle price is $7 for the other two apps.
    However, if you bought the app on sale for $1, the remaining bundle price is $11, more than if you bought the two apps at $5 each.

• @Clueless said:
    Maybe even the best (for me at least) are things like Metasynth or Kaleidoscope which uses pictures/graphics to create sounds. Is there something like this for iOS.

Check out Virtual ANS 3:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/virtual-ans-3/id1465860248

• @aplourde never know that before, very useful, and makes sense.

• Let’s add ‘Phase Delay Array’ to the list of good experimental apps by the way, free too, sounds fantastic: https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/phasedelayarray/id1472910992?l=en

• Doesn’t make sense, now the bundle price is different from before, was trying to charge 98 rmb before, now just 28...

• @Gavinski said:
    Doesn’t make sense, now the bundle price is different from before, was trying to charge 98 rmb before, now just 28...

Ugh, the App Store is being buggy:
    When you open a bundle it’s showing the full bundle price. If you scroll down past the listings of the individual apps, and then back up, it shows you your price, based in the above formula.

• Yikes, thanks. When it is buggy like this, can you get overcharged, or will the amount charged always end up being correct?

• @Gavinski said:
    Yikes, thanks. When it is buggy like this, can you get overcharged, or will the amount charged always end up being correct?

Go ahead and try and let us know! ;)

I’m willing to bet that you’ll get the correct price. I think it’s similar to when an iPad app goes Universal and you try to install on your phone: it will look like a new, full transaction, right up until after you agree to the transaction and then it says “This update is free because you own a previous version”

• Probably. Got Sparkle, it’s pretty cool!

• @aplourde said:

@Clueless said:

Check out Virtual ANS 3:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/virtual-ans-3/id1465860248

Hah, i have this app since years and just forgot about it, thank´s!
    Its not quite the same as Metasynth and Kaleidoscope (the most advanced here i would say but the biggest cpu killer ever) but indeed great for experimental sound.

• @Gavinski said:

@Clueless said:
    Shroom, Mitosynth, Soundscaper, Synthscaper, FRMS, Borderlands Granular, Audulus, Sunvox, Drambo.

Thnx

Hahaha. Yeah. On this note I really can't wait for the new Igor Vasiliev fx app to come out. Love fieldscaper, I think I definitely need to get synthscaper at some point.

Synthscaper is the bomb. Igor has released several sample packs for it:

https://motion-soundscape.blogspot.com/

• edited April 2020

@rs2000 said:
    @mojozart, @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr Cool, never heard of these Quantussy cells!

Patch-programmed logistic equations are also very cool sequence generators.

• Lagrange, Aparillo, Factory and Mononoke. I do a ton of experimental patch building with Sunrizer and Ripplemaker.