Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 crackles/pops??

Running cubasis 3 on Ipad air 3. Nothing heavy- 2 au synths, a audio track. Getting pops and crackles. Ive used cubasis 2 in the past and got extreme cpu spikes glitching crackles with just a single au synth. Had to abandon 2 but was hoping 3 would be a smother ride. It is much better but still frustrating. (Yes I adjusted sample rate and bit rez)

Any thoughts? Help?
-thx

Comments

• Did you check the buffer size as well?
    I've heard the the newer iPad models have some issues using small buffer sizes for some strange reason...

• I have an Air 3, no crackling issues with Cubasis 3.
    In fact I just changed the name of a project and was rewarded with total silence, all the audio has disappeared.

• @hibjshop said:
    Running cubasis 3 on Ipad air 3. Nothing heavy- 2 au synths, a audio track. Getting pops and crackles. Ive used cubasis 2 in the past and got extreme cpu spikes glitching crackles with just a single au synth. Had to abandon 2 but was hoping 3 would be a smother ride. It is much better but still frustrating. (Yes I adjusted sample rate and bit rez)

Any thoughts? Help?
    -thx

Hi @hibjshop,

A few days ago there was a posting, where a user complaint that a Cubasis project with 20+ 3rd party instruments + effects apps lead to performance issues.

Please note that using Audio Units or 3rd party apps in common, equals to running several apps at the same time. At some point, Cubasis and every other comparable DAW will reach its limits that way.

Please have a look at these things:

• Open "System info" tab (last entry in inspector)
    • Start playback and check the system load
    • Try to decrease hardware latency, by choosing higher values
    • Find out if specific Audio Unit apps lead to issues
    • Use TrackFreeze to reduce the system load
    • Try to limit the overall number of 3rd part apps, via using send effects

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Lars

• Thx for the tips. To note, it runs great when not using an audio interface.

• @LFS hey I want to love C3 (its got everything with a beautiful layout, intuitive workflow etc) however these DSP spikes are brutal. I made adjustments and things run well, but once I start deleting tracks or making a change the dsp meter goes haywire, glitchy and crackles. Once that happens theres nothing I can do but start from scratch. Ive tried to undo what possibly caused the spike but it still remains. Gone as far as deleting all tracks and yet the dsp continues its rage (to note the cpu is behaving nicely). I refuse to give up, best daw on ios.
    Any thoughts?
    Thx

• @hibjshop said:
    Thx for the tips. To note, it runs great when not using an audio interface.

What audio-interface are you using?
    (All this helps wot troubleshooting).

Are you using any USB-Hubs? (Those can cause issues, like drop-outs or spikes in the recording & playback).

I have zero issues with Cubasis 3 and my Steinberg UR-242. But then again I'm on an old iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.4...
    (I connect it directly to the iPad with CCK3).

• Interesting im using ur242 mk2 ipad air 3. I am using a usb hub and will try without it, thanks for the tip .

@Samu said:

@hibjshop said:
    Thx for the tips. To note, it runs great when not using an audio interface.

What audio-interface are you using?
    (All this helps wot troubleshooting).

Are you using any USB-Hubs? (Those can cause issues, like drop-outs or spikes in the recording & playback).

I have zero issues with Cubasis 3 and my Steinberg UR-242. But then again I'm on an old iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.4...
    (I connect it directly to the iPad with CCK3).

• @LFS said:

Hi @hibjshop,

A few days ago there was a posting, where a user complaint that a Cubasis project with 20+ 3rd party instruments + effects apps lead to performance issues.

Yup, that was me!🤟

Since then I found out that it might not necessarily the number of third party apps which causes the problem, but just which certain app I want to use. For example I created a project with only two instances of micrologue, the internal Cubasis Synth, and an instance of FM player 2 from Audiokit and no other external FX whatsoever: complete crackle inferno, unusable. I swapped FM player 2 with Neo Soul Keys, which I thought is a massive, cpu-heavy app itself: Cubasis runs smoothly, no problems.

Seems like there are just some certain apps that cannot handle Cubasis that well, or which Cubasis cannot handle that well?

• edited April 2020

@Samu ran it without a usb hub, was working great, but after stopping the project for a few then playing again the problems reappeared.
    @LeonKowalski yeah im sure certain apps function better than others, chalking it up to ios infancy.

• @hibjshop said:
    @LFS hey I want to love C3 (its got everything with a beautiful layout, intuitive workflow etc) however these DSP spikes are brutal. I made adjustments and things run well, but once I start deleting tracks or making a change the dsp meter goes haywire, glitchy and crackles. Once that happens theres nothing I can do but start from scratch. Ive tried to undo what possibly caused the spike but it still remains. Gone as far as deleting all tracks and yet the dsp continues its rage (to note the cpu is behaving nicely). I refuse to give up, best daw on ios.
    Any thoughts?
    Thx

Hi @hibjshop,

Please provide us with a short step description (see steps below)

Some additional questions, which should be answered in the description:

• What hardware device do you use with Cubasis?
    • Which AU app is loaded?
    • Please check if increasing Hardware Latency helps to solve the problem

Thanks
    Lars

Bug Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• LFSLFS
    edited April 2020

@LeonKowalski said:

@LFS said:

Hi @hibjshop,

Yup, that was me!🤟

Since then I found out that it might not necessarily the number of third party apps which causes the problem, but just which certain app I want to use. For example I created a project with only two instances of micrologue, the internal Cubasis Synth, and an instance of FM player 2 from Audiokit and no other external FX whatsoever: complete crackle inferno, unusable. I swapped FM player 2 with Neo Soul Keys, which I thought is a massive, cpu-heavy app itself: Cubasis runs smoothly, no problems.

Seems like there are just some certain apps that cannot handle Cubasis that well, or which Cubasis cannot handle that well?

Hi @LeonKowalski,

Please check the "System Info" (last tap in the inspector) which provides you with decent information about the system load. In addition, decreasing latency values can help to unstressed the system.

In your previous project which you've shared with us you've been using lots of 3rd party apps, actually +20 apps running next to Cubasis. This easily kills any mobile DAW.

Plus, there are instruments/effects wich require more CPU than others, while other apps can create different problems.

Feel free to share the project again, if you think something is wrong and we evaluate it again.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@LFS said:

Hi @hibjshop,

Yup, that was me!🤟

Hi @LeonKowalski,

Please check the "System Info" (last tap in the inspector) which provides you with decent information about the system load. In addition, decreasing latency values can help to unstressed the system.

In your previous project which you've shared with us you've been using lots of 3rd party apps, actually +20 apps running next to Cubasis. This easily kills any mobile DAW.

Plus, there are instruments/effects wich require more CPU than others, while other apps can create different problems.

Feel free to share the project again, if you think something is wrong and we evaluate it again.

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

I understand the problem with having to many AUv3 apps running in one project. I will adjust my workflow accordingly, doing more track freezes and relying more on instruments internal FX and Cubasis internal FX.

And yes, there are certain apps that cause problems. In this case it us FM player 2. With other instruments instead, it runs without problem (as I wrote, I use Neo-Soul Keys instead now). I'll send you a Dropbox link.

What annoys me more is the fact that the fade-out often does not work. In this project it does not work on a single instrument, not even the Cubasis-internal Micrologue synth. Any thoughts on this?

Best,
    LK

• @LFS hey can you post an email address so i can send you the info.
    -thx

• edited November 2020

@Lars Currently can get off Microsonic Instruments tab back arrow inside CB3 to select AU etc ! iPad OS 13.6.1