Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recreating the Sound/Vibe of Taxi Theme Song

“Angela”, the theme song for Taxi by Bob James has a beautiful, mellow, nostalgic sound that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. The Rhodes is obviously key, but it’s more than that. It’s the overall sound of the track.

If one were to recreate that song today, using GarageBand iOS for example, how could they achieve that same warm, vintage sound? Trim the high frequencies on everything? A certain filter?

Comments

• I don’t really know, but I would try low Velocities, the right instrument choices, TB Reelbus, and a Mono mix.

• edited April 2020

@CracklePot said:
    I don’t really know, but I would try low Velocities, the right instrument choices, TB Reelbus, and a Mono mix.

Thanks for the tip on Reelbus, first I’ve heard of it. Looks right up my alley, just purchased!

• Platinum Synth Pro would have the all right instruments and a few mastering FX would do it. The ToneBoosters tools would be enough and FabFilter even better. I was hoping there's an audience for that type of smooth jazz feeling. Bob James was a hero of mine. Fourplay is the ideal group for that sound of well crafted music played by studio perfectionists: Bob James, Lee Ritenour/Chuck Loeb, Harvey Mason, Nathan East. Dave Grusin was another Hollywood composer that trafficked in good easy to digest jazz. These guys know their instruments and can read "fly shit": LA Cats. Nashville has yet another collection of great musicians for every style... Robben Ford lives there now after years in LA and finds great players right out of school.

That wooden flute has the right tone too to disarm the listener to submit to some bliss time. Like a pan pipe vibe.

• @McD said:
    Platinum Synth Pro would have the all right instruments and a few mastering FX would do it. The ToneBoosters tools would be enough and FabFilter even better. I was hoping there's an audience for that type of smooth jazz feeling. Bob James was a hero of mine. Fourplay is the ideal group for that sound of well crafted music played by studio perfectionists: Bob James, Lee Ritenour/Chuck Loeb, Harvey Mason, Nathan East. Dave Grusin was another Hollywood composer that trafficked in good easy to digest jazz. These guys know their instruments and can read "fly shit": LA Cats. Nashville has yet another collection of great musicians for every style... Robben Ford lives there now after years in LA and finds great players right out of school.

That wooden flute has the right tone too to disarm the listener to submit to some bliss time. Like a pan pipe vibe.

Interesting and informative, thanks. Have you personally produced anything in the same vein?

• As others have suggested, PureSynth Platinum or NeoSoulKeys Studio and Tone Boosters ReelBus would be a good start. 4 Pockets Time Machine might help a little too.
    A lot of releases on CTI records in that era have that beautiful warmth about them. If you figure out the perfect recipe please share!

• Not mono for sure, but definitely very little reverb and minimal drumming. Bass would be flatwounds with some drive, so if you’re using the bass in garageband, play either the muted bass or p bass, then render it to audio and drag that track to an amp track with a b15 set to have some gain, a soft compressor, and less high end than low end (but not muddy).

I forgot how much I love the taxi song, thanks for posting!

• McDMcD
    edited April 2020

@AnalogCortex said:
    Interesting and informative, thanks. Have you personally produced anything in the same vein?

The first audio I ever uploaded to my SoundCloud is the closest I can think of:

I really don't "produce tracks". I make sketches in AUM and up load them with all their flaws. But the usually represent where my head is at in time after buying a new app.

I got a pretty mild feedback from the people I shared it with so I moved into other styles.
    It was secretly one of my favorites and represents the kind of stuff I like a lot. That's why I was shocked to see you dig Bob James. Most people just hear it as elevator muzak... too slick and mellow. Like Kenny G.

This has some of that light jazz based groove goin' on.

A little more modern in concept with active filters from FilterStation2:

• @mrufino1 said:
    Not mono for sure, but definitely very little reverb and minimal drumming. Bass would be flatwounds with some drive, so if you’re using the bass in garageband, play either the muted bass or p bass, then render it to audio and drag that track to an amp track with a b15 set to have some gain, a soft compressor, and less high end than low end (but not muddy).

Excellent suggestions, thanks.

• run it through the ‘nostalgia maximiser’ app 😙

• @AnalogCortex said:

@mrufino1 said:
    Not mono for sure, but definitely very little reverb and minimal drumming. Bass would be flatwounds with some drive, so if you’re using the bass in garageband, play either the muted bass or p bass, then render it to audio and drag that track to an amp track with a b15 set to have some gain, a soft compressor, and less high end than low end (but not muddy).

Excellent suggestions, thanks.

I think platinum synth will be on sale on Monday...

• @McD said:
    Platinum Synth Pro would have the all right instruments and a few mastering FX would do it. The ToneBoosters tools would be enough and FabFilter even better. I was hoping there's an audience for that type of smooth jazz feeling. Bob James was a hero of mine. Fourplay is the ideal group for that sound of well crafted music played by studio perfectionists: Bob James, Lee Ritenour/Chuck Loeb, Harvey Mason, Nathan East. Dave Grusin was another Hollywood composer that trafficked in good easy to digest jazz. These guys know their instruments and can read "fly shit": LA Cats. Nashville has yet another collection of great musicians for every style... Robben Ford lives there now after years in LA and finds great players right out of school.

I'm more a fan of the 70's CTI stuff than the later Fourplay albums. Way more funk.

On a side note. I was doing a cruise ship gig this January (I'm a DJ) and in the middle of my month long booking there was a jazz/r&b themed cruise that took over the ship for 8 days. I saw Bob James play acoustic piano live in a room of about 50 people among other great shows.

• @coolout said:

@McD said:

I'm more a fan of the 70's CTI stuff than the later Fourplay albums. Way more funk.

On a side note. I was doing a cruise ship gig this January (I'm a DJ) and in the middle of my month long booking there was a jazz/r&b themed cruise that took over the ship for 8 days. I saw Bob James play acoustic piano live in a room of about 50 people among other great shows.

Good story... I loved his arrangements and production of the 1st Kenny Loggins solo artist album after splitting with Jimmy Mesina. I think he also produced/arranged the follow up album too.

• Not exactly Taxi, but this video is on making a 70s TV theme in the style of funky cop shows.

• @animalelder said:
    Not exactly Taxi, but this video is on making a 70s TV theme in the style of funky cop shows.

That video is so good, the guy is a really talented producer. All I’ll say is he has the patience of job to be using Ableton for “regular “ recording projects. Live is great for performing but my God is it hell for just DAW as tape machine type recording. I’ve tried, I have friends who love it...no, give me Auria all day long...

• edited April 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2020

@animalelder said:
    Not exactly Taxi, but this video is on making a 70s TV theme in the style of funky cop shows.

Thoroughly enjoyable and informative. Thanks for posting!