Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CR-8k drum machine

The CR-8k vintage drum machine is been linked to Audiobus V3.

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/cr-8k/id1441966351?mt=8

Main caracteristics :

• 13 Original high quality double-samples
  • 24 Combinable preset patterns
  • 8 Programmable patterns
  • 8 Preset fill-ins
  • 4 Programmable fill-ins
  • 8 Arranger variations
  • 2 Rhythm memory registers
  • Shuffle mode (3/4 signature)
  • Separated voice section volumes
  • Gradual and programmable accentuation
  • Full machine state auto-save
  • Programs and selections auto-save
  • Background Audio enabled
  • InterApp Audio enabled
  • Audiobus V3 enabled

Settings :

• Unleash all-purpose LCD rather than only displaying the tempo
  • Alter the way the patterns are played simultaneously
  • Alternative « Rock » drum kit with integrated effects
  • Built-in instruments effects : « Stereo pan » and « Jungle tune »
  • Built-in audio effects : « Equalizer » and « Distortion »
  • Built-in global effects : « Delay » and « Reverb »
  • Mute any instrument
  • Prevent any instrument from beeing affected by accents
  • 4 Synchronized register auto-switching modes

Comments

• Now I am looking forward for Audio Unit and Ableton Link.
    In your opinion, does it worth it ? Which one first ?

For Ableton Link, I would need help so if ever an expert feels like answering a couple of questions, please just tell me.

• That UI is very skeuomorphic.

• @ahallam said:
    That UI is very skeuomorphic.

My first thought :)

• @DavidRochaix said:
    Now I am looking forward for Audio Unit and Ableton Link.

For Ableton Link, I would need help so if ever an expert feels like answering a couple of questions, please just tell me.

No matter what road you take, it has to play in sync with other apps. As long as its internal sequencer syncs to its host’s tempo/stop/start and there’s a way to switch patterns like @brambos apps do by using a MIDI note I’m good. Thanks @DavidRochaix

• .> @ahallam said:

That UI is very skeuomorphic.

It is absolutely skeuomorphic, as it is based on real devices pictures.
    It may receive a flat design optional UI skin one day...

• @anickt said:

@DavidRochaix said:
    Now I am looking forward for Audio Unit and Ableton Link.

No matter what road you take, it has to play in sync with other apps. As long as its internal sequencer syncs to its host’s tempo/stop/start and there’s a way to switch patterns like @brambos apps do by using a MIDI note I’m good. Thanks @DavidRochaix

You are right, so it is all or nothing... as I thought.
    Tempo sync is useless since it would derivate after a while, I got to trigger the host's clock events.

• AU would be better to pursue, I think.

Have you seen the Developers Forum for Audiobus? It is in the links at the top of this Forum.
    You should seek advice on there.
    You will get mostly opinions here, but over there you will get the facts.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

• I’d probably get it if it was AUV3, but these days if it’s not AUV3 I don’t buy no matter how good it sounds since Apple is deprecating IAA. Good luck though.

• Been eyeballing for along time now. Aesthetically it looks great. Auv3 and I’m in.

• Hello @DavidRochaix ! Right now the CR app is a one-to-one emulation which is really cool and an idea to consider: what if you added an extra page or toggle-able ‘Alt UI’ of Further Parameters that gently take the CR into new ground while retaining the traditional sequencing method: tuning and decay per voice would vastly expand the applicable use and alter/improve the classic CR limitations (most of which are wonderful but in my mind tune and decay add so much potential).

I totally understand if staying purely traditional is your goal here and like others agree that AUv3 is a vital. :)

• Right, so I'll make it AUV3 first... and require help if needed in the devs forum. To Proppa, I will continue to expand the abilities of CR series by adding extra options in the app's settings since I started this way to keep the main UI clean and close to the real device. Tuning and decay are good suggestions, « Jungle tune » is based on this. In another hand, the further I will go, the closer it will be from all the others.

• This app devs other drum machines are good, just needs our auv3 or midi perhaps. The dam-32 sounds so great, for the old style. Goofy kick but lovely. The tempo can be shown in the settings. SO, that's the weird thing is that you go into settings for the features.... Keep this up and take care!

• @DavidRochaix said:
    Right, so I'll make it AUV3 first... and require help if needed in the devs forum. To Proppa, I will continue to expand the abilities of CR series by adding extra options in the app's settings since I started this way to keep the main UI clean and close to the real device. Tuning and decay are good suggestions, « Jungle tune » is based on this. In another hand, the further I will go, the closer it will be from all the others.

@DavidRochaix I have CR-8k. just picked up DRM-16 and I have DRM-32. They are so much fun. Hope you’re going AUv3 with them also!

• @DavidRochaix said:
    Right, so I'll make it AUV3 first... and require help if needed in the devs forum. To Proppa, I will continue to expand the abilities of CR series by adding extra options in the app's settings since I started this way to keep the main UI clean and close to the real device. Tuning and decay are good suggestions, « Jungle tune » is based on this. In another hand, the further I will go, the closer it will be from all the others.

great! i'll buy it then
    thanks

• @DavidRochaix I should mention first that I love these apps but out of DRM-16, DRM-32 and CR-8x only the latter of the three shows up via Inter App Audio even though all are store-noted as IAA capable. Is this a known issue / is there an update for this?

• @Proppa said:
    @DavidRochaix I should mention first that I love these apps but out of DRM-16, DRM-32 and CR-8x only the latter of the three shows up via Inter App Audio even though all are store-noted as IAA capable. Is this a known issue / is there an update for this?

Only CR-8k is listed as AB compatible. The others haven’t been updated yet. They all still need to be able to sync to other apps. He is working on AUv3 compatibility. For me the user experience is quite enjoyable and these are a nice alternative to more complex drum apps. They lead me in different directions which is fun and creatively useful.

• @anickt said:

@Proppa said:
    @DavidRochaix I should mention first that I love these apps but out of DRM-16, DRM-32 and CR-8x only the latter of the three shows up via Inter App Audio even though all are store-noted as IAA capable. Is this a known issue / is there an update for this?

Only CR-8k is listed as AB compatible. The others haven’t been updated yet. They all still need to be able to sync to other apps. He is working on AUv3 compatibility. For me the user experience is quite enjoyable and these are a nice alternative to more complex drum apps. They lead me in different directions which is fun and creatively useful.

You have me tempted but when the app description mentions it's 'tricky to program' I get nervous. Tricky or simply hard? :)

• @anickt both of the DRMs are described as Inter App Audio compliant meaning visible / recordable in AudioShare / AUM IAA but neither show up in those respective input lists and can’t be recorded (unless I’m missing a big obvious here)

@JohnnyGoodyear the CR-8k programming is similar to original tb303 stepping: you’re entering notes “blindly” by counting in your head rather than getting audio / visual step feedback. It’s as much a feature as a hindrance and there’s a sort of kid-like magic to it.

• @Proppa said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear the CR-8k programming is similar to original tb303 stepping: you’re entering notes “blindly” by counting in your head rather than getting audio / visual step feedback. It’s as much a feature as a hindrance and there’s a sort of kid-like magic to it.

I'm going to shake my stick at you in disbelief, but pull out some shekels from the cookie jar also :)

• @Proppa said:
    @anickt both of the DRMs are described as Inter App Audio compliant meaning visible / recordable in AudioShare / AUM IAA but neither show up in those respective input lists and can’t be recorded (unless I’m missing a big obvious here)

@Proppa

I missed that in the description and none of them ever showed up as IAA until the recent update to CR-8k so my mistake.

Either way he is working on AUv3 so hopefully they will all be more useful within a reasonable timeframe.

@JohnnyGoodyear

My first drum machine was a DR-55 so I am familiar with programming rhythms by counting. The CR-8k uses a similar input method.

The others are all preset. Quick fun, very simple to use and pretty cool run through a crazy FX chain.

My old DR-55 was hard-wired into a graphic EQ typically followed by a chain of flanger, phaser and delay in various configurations.

• @anickt no worry just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and look forward to recording these DRMs.

@JohnnyGoodyear like the joy of a bicycle after driving only cars ✨

• @Proppa said:
    @anickt no worry just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and look forward to recording these DRMs.

@JohnnyGoodyear like the joy of a bicycle after driving only cars ✨

😎 I forgot to mention. Programming “blind” a la the DR-55/CR-8k often led to happy accidents!

• Hi folks, I'm actually on CR-5k, DRM-16 and DRM-32 InterApp Audio (bugless) compliance and Audiobus integration. I plan to submit it to Apple tonight or tomorrow morning max. It takes a video demo to have them grant Audio background privileges, this is in progress too.

Thank you very, very much for your interest and all your suggestions, it is really exciting !

Audio Unit will be integrated just after... I hope within one week delay. See you !

• @DavidRochaix said:
    Hi folks, I'm actually on CR-5k, DRM-16 and DRM-32 InterApp Audio (bugless) compliance and Audiobus integration. I plan to submit it to Apple tonight or tomorrow morning max. It takes a video demo to have them grant Audio background privileges, this is in progress too.

Thank you very, very much for your interest and all your suggestions, it is really exciting !

Audio Unit will be integrated just after... I hope within one week delay. See you !

Awesome! Thanks @DavidRochaix

• @DavidRochaix this should arguably be a DM but in case anyone else wants to weigh in on this idea: I've been using CR-8k for a bit now and thought of a potential UI solve for adding tune and decay per voice without upsetting the classic design: there could be a small 3-position toggle switch (like the existing Play, Basic, Fill In one) that in addition to the existing Volume settings per voice the other two toggles could correlate to Pitch and Decay with settings visible depending on which toggle selection is currently being viewed. So when one toggles to Pitch for example the latest settings per voice display, ditto Decay and of course back to Level. Just an idea as are the following:

It would be Really useful to be able to set pattern length to shorter than 32 steps: it's so fun to enter notes but as it's a "blind" process can be a bit challenging to keep count past 16 steps (for me at least). The ability to shorten step length to 16 and even 8 steps would be fantastic and could be tucked away within Settings.

Finally regarding the UI: I like the virtual CR look but because of the 3-D angle the lower sides of voice selection in particular are difficult to read right: unless I set the tempo window to 'all purpose display' and reference that I often select the wrong voice by accident. Short of / in addition to redesigning the skin an idea would be to allow the Voice knob to step forward when tapped on: so one could quickly Step through the voices while keeping an eye on the (all purpose) display in addition to being able to "turn" that knob as it is now. The voice selection stepping could either go backwards once one hits 'AC' (accent) or reset back to 'BD'.

PS Depending on how true you'd like to stay to OG CR limitations maybe none of the above is useful which is of course fine. And Thanks Again for the IAA on the DRM apps.

• @Proppa said:
    @DavidRochaix this should arguably be a DM but in case anyone else wants to weigh in on this idea: I've been using CR-8k for a bit now and thought of a potential UI solve for adding tune and decay per voice without upsetting the classic design: there could be a small 3-position toggle switch (like the existing Play, Basic, Fill In one) that in addition to the existing Volume settings per voice the other two toggles could correlate to Pitch and Decay with settings visible depending on which toggle selection is currently being viewed. So when one toggles to Pitch for example the latest settings per voice display, ditto Decay and of course back to Level. Just an idea as are the following:

It would be Really useful to be able to set pattern length to shorter than 32 steps: it's so fun to enter notes but as it's a "blind" process can be a bit challenging to keep count past 16 steps (for me at least). The ability to shorten step length to 16 and even 8 steps would be fantastic and could be tucked away within Settings.

Finally regarding the UI: I like the virtual CR look but because of the 3-D angle the lower sides of voice selection in particular are difficult to read right: unless I set the tempo window to 'all purpose display' and reference that I often select the wrong voice by accident. Short of / in addition to redesigning the skin an idea would be to allow the Voice knob to step forward when tapped on: so one could quickly Step through the voices while keeping an eye on the (all purpose) display in addition to being able to "turn" that knob as it is now. The voice selection stepping could either go backwards once one hits 'AC' (accent) or reset back to 'BD'.

PS Depending on how true you'd like to stay to OG CR limitations maybe none of the above is useful which is of course fine. And Thanks Again for the IAA on the DRM apps.

Good ideas. My first drum machine was the DR-55. The “counting” method of entering patterns helped me learn about rhythms and the “happy accidents” were often quite lovely! I would not be averse to a flat UI that followed the same color scheme/layout BTW @DavidRochaix

• To all, I had idea of something I might do one day, but I'm not sure yet. This idea is to issue an app called CR-8000, cheaper and for purists, on which I would even remove tap tempo and some other secondary features. Then, CR-8k, the one that you own could evolve to a tricky one... ideas from Proppa, all instruments programmable, pattern visuel editor, etc... Alternatively, I may continue like I began and every time that something new comes in the app, that a CR 8000 wasn't able to do, I make it optional within the settings.

• What's the difference between CR-5k and CR-8k ? CR-5k is a version with less features ?