Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GarageBand improvements

edited April 2020 in General App Discussion

After using GarageBand over the last few days I must admit it really starts to be usable. The last time I used it is probably 5 years back. Back then I didn’t find it very usable.

But where on earth is a master channel and automation?? That’s a serious lack!

Also nice to have would be a proper mixer, floating AUv3 plugin windows and a volume fade tool.

Why is Apple so far behind the competition?

Will we have to wait for a light iOS Logic or will Apple improve GarageBand? Either way Apple has to catch up...

If I wouldn’t know apples desktop software my expectation would be lower. But Apple (or its emagic team) knows how to make excellent music software.

Comments

• edited April 2020

Its great if you are making a 20 second jingle, once you get closer to making a real song with parts, tracks and audio units the best thing to do is

• @NemanzgbKaj said:
    Its great if you are making a 20 second jingle, once you get closer to making a real song with parts, tracks and audio units the best thing to do is -Optimising performance-

• @jacou said:
    After using GarageBand over the last few days I must admit it really starts to be usable. The last time I used it is probably 5 years back. Back then I didn’t find it very usable.

At garageband desktop :trollface:

Also nice to have would be a proper mixer,

Use Logic Remote with Garageband iOS since you can export/import

floating AUv3 plugin windows and a volume fade tool.

Apple isn't behind from their POV and some, users like me, hate floating windows on iPad mini or iPhone screens. Obviously there are a lot of users like me but not at Audiob.us forum where people usually demand DAWless setups.

Will we have to wait for a light iOS Logic or will Apple improve GarageBand? Either way Apple has to catch up...

Not really, Apple is behind putting the ground where others put the innovation. Apple never was the push-forward, they are the revamp experts and sometimes even that gets fail (Force Touch, IAA, macpro trashbin...)

If I wouldn’t know apples desktop software my expectation would be lower. But Apple (or its emagic team) knows how to make excellent music software.

Yes but if you look deeper you will find that the innovation was focused on iOS over the past years and only recently a bit into macOS.

https://cdm.link/2020/03/apple-logic-ableton-leak/

Apple has revamped its own apps to make them more compatible with ARM at the cost of losing features that slowly come back or get revamped too. For the same reason hardware was stagnated... it's easy to run low demand apps into iDevices than getting in the cutting edge x86 development and macOS made it possible to keep the minimum specs for most professional users (and for the rest finally released ultraexpensive desktop iMacpro, Macpro modular and Macmini pro) to keep Logic/Mainstage competitive but leaving space for others to thrive.

The fact Garageband for iOS is near to Ableton than any other app (maybe drambo, maybe Zenbeats, maybe Gadget, maybe AUM) but it even doesn't pretend to be is the Apple finger pointing to the moon.

So it's obvious Apple is on prosumerism and will keep some professional apps available for desktop but it isn't their focus and they are doing, as usual, movements without showing the hand (poker reference).

@NemanzgbKaj said:

@NemanzgbKaj said:
    Its great if you are making a 20 second jingle, once you get closer to making a real song with parts, tracks and audio units the best thing to do is -Optimising performance-

It's possible to do full songs with Garageband even with the limitations it has but these are there to make users buy a mac. When they decide to merge all (if they do it someday), they will release a full DAW on the winner platform but I think they are ok with all this segmented workflow and user mining IMO.

• @NemanzgbKaj said:
    Its great if you are making a 20 second jingle, once you get closer to making a real song with parts, tracks and audio units the best thing to do is

Yes I fully agree!
    It isn’t bad at all but it lacks features to do some serious work with it.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@jacou said:

Apple isn't behind from their POV and some, users like me, hate floating windows on iPad mini or iPhone screens. Obviously there are a lot of users like me but not at Audiob.us forum where people usually demand DAWless setups.

Not really, Apple is behind putting the ground where others put the innovation. Apple never was the push-forward, they are the revamp experts and sometimes even that gets fail (Force Touch, IAA, macpro trashbin...)

Yes but if you look deeper you will find that the innovation was focused on iOS over the past years and only recently a bit into macOS.

Apple has revamped its own apps to make them more compatible with ARM at the cost of losing features that slowly come back or get revamped too. For the same reason hardware was stagnated... it's easy to run low demand apps into iDevices than getting in the cutting edge x86 development and macOS made it possible to keep the minimum specs for most professional users (and for the rest finally released ultraexpensive desktop iMacpro, Macpro modular and Macmini pro) to keep Logic/Mainstage competitive but leaving space for others to thrive.

The fact Garageband for iOS is near to Ableton than any other app (maybe drambo, maybe Zenbeats, maybe Gadget, maybe AUM) but it even doesn't pretend to be is the Apple finger pointing to the moon.

So it's obvious Apple is on prosumerism and will keep some professional apps available for desktop but it isn't their focus and they are doing, as usual, movements without showing the hand (poker reference).

@NemanzgbKaj said:

@NemanzgbKaj said:

It's possible to do full songs with Garageband even with the limitations it has but these are there to make users buy a mac. When they decide to merge all (if they do it someday), they will release a full DAW on the winner platform but I think they are ok with all this segmented workflow and user mining IMO.

This thread obviously is rather subjective. Of course to some people iOS GarageBand is more than enough or they are happy to work around things.
    My only objective observation is that iOS GarageBand is behind Cubasis, Auria and NS2 when it comes to technical features like automation, master bus or mixer (oh and more than two effect busses that are restricted to apple delay and reverb). And that makes me wondering.
    Those features IMO are not just nice to have but essential.
    Anyway not sure what exactly my intention was by starting this discussion. I guess it’s nice to have a place with other iOS music warriors to share thoughts and frustrations with :smile:

• @jacou said:

How to add an EQ and effects master track in GarageBand for iOS

• @mistercharlie said:

@jacou said:

How to add an EQ and effects master track in GarageBand for iOS

Wow that really is a great hack! Thanks for that! :)

• edited April 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’m happy with GB but would like to see a more fully featured sampler, maybe even a basic drum sampler ?

• edited April 2020

Those of you making blanket statements like GarageBand is only good for 20 second jingles are either ignorant to its current capabilities or simply don’t have the skills and/or experience necessary to take full advantage of them. GarageBand may not be capable of radio quality music, but is certainly capable of legit, professional sounding complete song demos.

• @jacou said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@jacou said:

@NemanzgbKaj said:

@NemanzgbKaj said:

This thread obviously is rather subjective. Of course to some people iOS GarageBand is more than enough or they are happy to work around things.
    My only objective observation is that iOS GarageBand is behind Cubasis, Auria and NS2 when it comes to technical features like automation, master bus or mixer (oh and more than two effect busses that are restricted to apple delay and reverb). And that makes me wondering.
    Anyway not sure what exactly my intention was by starting this discussion. I guess it’s nice to have a place with other iOS music warriors to share thoughts and frustrations with :smile:

Sure I wasn't to sound salty just showing that your initial assumptions were opinions based on your experience but less than the gospel truth about iOS DAWs.

In fact I barely use any DAW on iOS after all the lacks all they have.

I prefer to start things on BlocsWave, Garageband, Looper apps... and then export into Ableton/Garageband desktop.

The exception but I still didn't put enough energy to verify could be Zenbeats (or Gadget but its price/Cpu demand makes it unreliable for my workflow)

That's the point of discussing, find new info which could benefit all sides. In my opinion Garageband is the right way to implement a DAW without floating windows but I understand people using AUM with AUv3 plugs and all the routing madness (sadly without automation neither).

Who am I to say these are dumb in their approach? I discuss about the needs or not but focusing in the goal: make a song... if your goal is just experiment, loop or whatever without wanting to end a song... then it's perfect!

POV is just the matter...

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@jacou said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@jacou said:

@NemanzgbKaj said:

@NemanzgbKaj said:

Sure I wasn't to sound salty just showing that your initial assumptions were opinions based on your experience but less than the gospel truth about iOS DAWs.

In fact I barely use any DAW on iOS after all the lacks all they have.

I prefer to start things on BlocsWave, Garageband, Looper apps... and then export into Ableton/Garageband desktop.

The exception but I still didn't put enough energy to verify could be Zenbeats (or Gadget but its price/Cpu demand makes it unreliable for my workflow)

That's the point of discussing, find new info which could benefit all sides. In my opinion Garageband is the right way to implement a DAW without floating windows but I understand people using AUM with AUv3 plugs and all the routing madness (sadly without automation neither).

Who am I to say these are dumb in their approach? I discuss about the needs or not but focusing in the goal: make a song... if your goal is just experiment, loop or whatever without wanting to end a song... then it's perfect!

POV is just the matter...

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah it also wasn’t my intention to step onto anyone’s toe with my disappointment. I can see why some people prefer fixed plugin windows. I prefer floating windows so that you can mess around with more than one plugin at a time and change instrument/daw parameters while having them open.

Your musical approach sounds cool!

• @AnalogCortex said:
    Those of you making blanket statements like GarageBand is only good for 20 second jingles are either ignorant to its current capabilities or simply don’t have the skills and/or experience necessary to take full advantage of them. GarageBand may not be capable of radio quality music, but is certainly capable of legit, professional sounding complete song demos.

Unless this 20sec jingle is a very high quality 20sec jingle ;)
    You surely could also produce radio quality music with GarageBand for iOS if you do analogue volume riding, external mastering etc. But it would be great to have these tools inside of GarageBand..

• edited April 2020

Once I got comfortable with sections in GarageBand it's actually pretty nice.
    (I had to 're-think' and see the sections as patterns in a tracker, ie. create a bunch of 4 bar sections and go on from there).

The sounds in GarageBand give most of the synths on iOS a run for the money.
    Sure they are not as tweak-able but they sound so nice :)

• @BCKeys said:

@jacou said:

GarageBand has been made 15 years ago with Apple’s rules : allow anyone to make music.
    They are not far the competition, they have Logic for advanced users. But bringing Logic on an iPad air 2 was something unthinkable.
    Now Apple could probably bring Logic on the new iPad Pro (I doubt on it)
    But what will say those who don't have a new iPad Pro.

Logic will be released on iPadOS when, and only when, it will be possible to install Logic on any iPad on any new iPad.

Considering Logic needs a lot or RAM and Apple is hardly adding 1GB more RAM on iPad every 2/3 years, if we have to wait 8GB for a light version or 16GB RAM as a standard on every iPad (at least Air and Pro) for a complete version, it could be a looooong wait 😁

Pro 2020 contains 6GB, Air 2019 contains 3GB ...

But personnaly, I dont care ☺️ I love GarageBand, it becames my main DAW and I’m very happy with it.

Drums and instruments are a gold mine, amps, effects etc..love it!

I’ve tested all the other DAWs but most of them are too much electronic-edm-trap oriented. Cubasis is great but I can't do without the golden content of GarageBand.

My dream would be a mix with Cubasis and GarageBand.. Apple is maybe preparing this called « Logic LE for Mobile Device » who knows 😍

You don’t need a lot of ram to run Logic x.
    I use it on my 2015 MacBook Air with 4GB of ram for university course work and have no issues.
    I also have a 2018 iPad Pro with 4GB ram and with a processing power superior to the MacBook Air 2015 so it should be possible to run Logic on it.
    The question is, is Apple really that interested in making music Apps for iOS? Or do they just make this machines powerful for people who make Art and take photos?
    For example the new iPad Pro with that new camera thing in this time of quarantine is useless.
    This is the time they could have used to make iPadOS more solid.
    Maybe After all the give other developers the chance to make music Apps but Apple seems to be more focused on Art and Photo Guys

• I have zero complaints about GarageBand for IOS considering it’s completely free. It’s not my only IOS Daw but it’s in my top 5. If I want to take any song to the next level I open it in Logic Pro X. The one thing I’d love is if it could export individual stems for when I use a lot of Audio Units, but if I have a quick Idea, I can plug in my Apogee jam and lay some guitar with some great free amps and pedals, and if I know it’s going to end up in Logic then I won’t use third part apps, or Ill connect my iPad to my Mac and use AUM load all the audio units I used into that and send midi from Logic. Over all, I thinks it’s a great free Daw. Plus it adds free sound packs , it just added a really nice old school hip hop sound pack.

• edited April 2020

Logic on an iPad without head-phone jack for truly mobile use is just no-no-no-no...

The BT latency is driving me nuts as is the degraded sound quality (just try using Magellan 2 with a pair of Airpods, it sounds horrible!).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Garageband is pretty spectacular really. The synths sound great and the electric piano is one of the most « musical » on ios. You can do great things with the bass guitar. I do wish it was a bit snappier - I hate that slow transition effect when you return to the main screen.
    I’m trying out the 90 day logic at the moment and using logic remote with is a fantastic experience - Garageband plus.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Strizbiz said:
    I have zero complaints about GarageBand for IOS. If I want to take any song to the next level I open it in Logic Pro X.

Could you please explain this in more specific detail? What exactly do you do in Logic Pro X that takes your songs to “the next level”? Any way you could provide an audio clip of something you produced in GarageBand, then the same exact clip taken to the next level in Logic Pro X?

• edited April 2020

@BCKeys said:

@jacou said:

GarageBand has been made 15 years ago with Apple’s rules : allow anyone to make music.
    They are not far the competition, they have Logic for advanced users. But bringing Logic on an iPad air 2 was something unthinkable.

I know Logic since my childhood, basically.
    Logic Platinum Version 5.5 had a lot of today's effects and instruments already, including the EXS24 sampler, and it would run on an old Pentium III single core machine with 256MB RAM very well, except for very large EXS sampler instruments.
    That version would easily run on an iPad Air 1 and in terms of features, it would top every DAW currently available on iOS if its UI was transformed to be touch friendly.

Considering Logic needs a lot or RAM and Apple is hardly adding 1GB more RAM on iPad every 2/3 years, if we have to wait 8GB for a light version or 16GB RAM as a standard on every iPad (at least Air and Pro) for a complete version, it could be a looooong wait 😁

See above.
    If they had wanted to do it, technically there's no limitation.
    Check out Drambo and see how much is possible on an older iPad Air 1 or iPad Mini 2.
    Or Nanostudio 2 which is just as efficient with all its effects and powerful synthesis engines.

For some reason, Apple must have chosen not to offer a Logic version on iOS, maybe they fear losing Mac sales, who knows.

• edited April 2020

It really lacks a lot but i also find that the multi-touch smart instruments and other multi-touch optimized tools there are better than in any other iOS DAW. So i hoped we would see more real multi-touch DAWs on iOS.
    Where are they?
    Also a lot of Logic FX and instruments are inside Garage Band. Just all the editing is not there sadly.

• @Samu said:
    Logic on an iPad without head-phone jack for truly mobile use is just no-no-no-no...

The BT latency is driving me nuts as is the degraded sound quality (just try using Magellan 2 with a pair of Airpods, it sounds horrible!).

Easy fix..just buy a usb to 3.5 converter.

• @rs2000 said:

@BCKeys said:

@jacou said:

I know Logic since my childhood, basically.
    Logic Platinum Version 5.5 had a lot of today's effects and instruments already, including the EXS24 sampler, and it would run on an old Pentium III single core machine with 256MB RAM very well, except for very large EXS sampler instruments.
    That version would easily run on an iPad Air 1 and in terms of features, it would top every DAW currently available on iOS if its UI was transformed to be touch friendly.

See above.
    If they had wanted to do it, technically there's no limitation.
    Check out Drambo and see how much is possible on an older iPad Air 1 or iPad Mini 2.
    Or Nanostudio 2 which is just as efficient with all its effects and powerful synthesis engines.

For some reason, Apple must have chosen not to offer a Logic version on iOS, maybe they fear losing Mac sales, who knows.

But still DAWs needs multi-core processing which seems still not there on iOS.
    Maybe a reason why i can run 100 DRC instances on my old laptop but maybe 3-4 on my iOS device which has actually higher numbers in geekbench and so (i do not care since i know it says nothing but in theory).

• @Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

Yeah, and then I need to charge at the same time too...
    (I have the Lightning->3.5mm dongle but it's not without is issues like sample-rate lock etc.).

Also the dongles for USB-C based iPads are crazy, I don't need HDMI and the only dongle that allows charging has USB and HDMI so it's an additional $100 for a darn dongle/hub :D

Then again I might just get an iPad Air 3 or something when that time comes.

But for now I'll just stick with my trusty iPad Air 2...
    ...hope it will still be supported by iPadOS14 when it ships...

• edited April 2020

@BCKeys said:
    @Paa89 good to hear :)
    I forgot to mention the disk space problem. Until all iPads have a minimum of at least 128GB base -or more-, it will be a problem.
    Commercialy speaking, it's pretty complicated to explain to people that if you want a specific Apple software, you have to buy the most expensive model.
    How would Logic Pro X behave with a few AUv3 romplers, on an iPad Pro 2020, I can’t say.
    I guess Apple tried it.

Then how many Logic users would buy and use Logic on their iPad.. it’s maybe the reason why they take time.

These are just guesses :)

One thing is certain, if Apple now asks developers that their applications work on all OS, I guess this is a good sign :)

The fact that they are asking developers to make apps supported by all os is good, but how many of them are going to do it?
    First of all, they will be lossing 30% on their sales the first year and then 15% after that.
    Second issue, most people on the iOS platform are super cheap, they forget that these developers put time and effort into creating the apps and also have families to feed and bills to pay.
    Even if a plugin on desktop costs £120 and is made to cost £60 or £30 on iOS with the same features, people would still complain..
    Most iOS developers do it for the love I guess.
    What Apple could do is to give the possibility to download and install ipa directly from safari ( website of developers), just like on Mac, pc and Android, you download, tap and install.
    This might make most big companies step in.

• Now think about this...
    ...wouldn't it be nice if the next Logic Pro X was a truly universal app?(Starting with iPadOS13..4 and Catalina 10.15.4 it's possible to make a bundle that is available for all supported platforms, that is iOS/iPadOS/macOS).

So even if the iPad version would be a bit slimmed down it would be 'free' for those who already own Logic Pro X on the Mac.
    And if someone bought it for the iPadPro without having a Mac they would already have it once they bought a Mac :)

Regarding the Liveloops for macOS version of Logic, I guess the SideCar feature could be used as loop launcher or implemented as a function in Logic Remote...

• As someone new to GarageBand I find the Alchemy synth just brilliant, and for someone lacking keyboard skills, the ability to switch to chord mode is amazing. Not only that, but depending on where you tap the “chords” you get different sounds. Ditto the orchestra, just amazing.

One of best purchases I have made recently was a Y cable that cost less than 10 quid to take the stereo signal from my iPad to two separate inputs on my desktop audio interface. It means I can get these amazing GB synths into my desktop DAW. I’ve spent a small fortune on VST synths such as Omnisphere and Trillion over the years, but this new super cheap option is opening an amazing new avenue for my music.

• @Samu said:

@Paa89 said:

@Samu said:

Yeah, and then I need to charge at the same time too...
    (I have the Lightning->3.5mm dongle but it's not without is issues like sample-rate lock etc.).

Also the dongles for USB-C based iPads are crazy, I don't need HDMI and the only dongle that allows charging has USB and HDMI so it's an additional $100 for a darn dongle/hub :D

Then again I might just get an iPad Air 3 or something when that time comes.

But for now I'll just stick with my trusty iPad Air 2...
    ...hope it will still be supported by iPadOS14 when it ships...

There are many dongles on Amazon that cost les than £15,with just 3.5 And charging port, no hdmi and other unnecessary ports
    With usbC we are free to use any dongle and not get errors like you get with lightning needing to use only Apple products and powered hubs 😝