Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you avoid "subscription" apps for music making?

Why?

I am aware of another MAJOR MAJOR iOS app developer who is going to probably do this in the not to distant future.....

It will be interesting to see if people stick with the no answer when it goes down......

I INCLUDE MYSELF IN THIS.

Comments

• Yes, I also think twice before buying an app with a bunch of IAPs

• I avoid like the plague. I don't like subscriptions in general. But it doesn't have to be either subscription or one-time purchase because the developers need a steady income.

I think Wotja got it right, though. They launch a new app version each year. So when you buy the app, you get free updates for a year and then bugfixes for some time after that, and you can keep using the app you bought for as long as you wish. Then, if you want the new version because there are new features that you like, you just buy the current app release.

• I dont think I have any subscription apps.
    I like to pay for an app and be done with any other costs!

• Will not happen that I use subscriptions for musical Apps.

And yes, it's also better to buy full versions than those with IAP.

Major, Major?

KORG?

I'm not even sure that I will keep my "Drafts" (editor) subscription.

The only other subscription I have and will keep, is "Infuse" (video player)

• I’ve paid a few euros for rent to own stuff on Splice before buying them (with a hefty discount) if they were useful to me on a regular basis. Some stuff was good to have for a particular project so I don’t consider that a waste.

iCloud Drive and Endlesss are the only things that will get a regular payment here.

Not a fan of subscriptions but there’s always an exception or two.

• @tja said:
    Will not happen that I use subscriptions for musical Apps.

Major, Major?

KORG?

Heh, If I ever get an app subscription, it will probably for Drafts. Such a great app.

• I have 0 subscription based apps.
    Intend keeping things that way for as long as possible (for ever 🤞)

• No subscription apps for me, Spotify and Netflix are two execeptions...

• wimwim
    edited March 2020
    1. I will never allow myself to accumulate so many incremental monthly charges. I have too many already and they build up. Music apps just don't make the cut.
    2. I don't want to think every time I open an app about the cost and whether it's worth it to continue paying. I prefer to weigh the cost once then never look back.
    3. If I don't finish a project that uses an app with a subscription, then discontinue the subscription, I can't continue with that project. Maybe I can buy back in at the time? Then I have to consider whether that old project is worth paying money to revisit.

I can see why it's attractive for developers to consider. In fact, I wonder how on earth the iOS upgrades-for-life ecosystem is sustainable for any developer. But that runs hard up against my personal deal breakers.

• I am personally not interested in software as a service.

• @god said:

@tja said:
    Will not happen that I use subscriptions for musical Apps.

Major, Major?

KORG?

Heh, If I ever get an app subscription, it will probably for Drafts. Such a great app.

Yes.
    But finally, I use iA Writer and sometimes Textastic wayyyy more often.

• I don’t do subscriptions for any computer software or non-streaming applications. It’s easier to plan finances around a one-time purchase than a monthly investment. I would also hate to lose access to an app and my related projects because of a lapsed payment or something.

There’s a sense of permanence if I buy it once. If the developer stops supporting it, I still have the version I have. If a developer goes awol or something on a subscription app, I could lose it and all of the money I invested in it.

Same goes for video games.

• Aprils Fools, AudioCopy & iMPC Pro 3 goes full on subscription all content included for just $9.99 per month :D

• @wim said:
    1. I will never allow myself to accumulate so many incremental monthly charges. I have too many already and they build up. Music apps just don't make the cut.

This!

• Another April Fools, BeatHawk 3 with full access to app IAPs for just $19.99 per month :D

• @gsm909 said:
    I have 0 subscription based apps.
    Intend keeping things that way for as long as possible (for ever 🤞)

Would like to do, but could not find any other App that streams videos in the DVD version (VIDEO_TS folder) from OneDrive.
    For this, the Infuse subscription.

That shows one point: Subscriptions only, when there is NO other solution.

• @tehskwrl said:
    I am personally not interested in software as a service.

I'm of a different mind when it comes to big-ticket things like Office 365 where it replaces a big up-front expense and removes the future decisions about upgrades. I would at least consider that if I still needed Office.

I'm also OK with iCloud storage, which is so relatively inexpensive compared to the convenience it provides.

HP Instant Ink is another that I find totally worth it for removing a major point of annoyance in my life ... printer cartridges.

But, that's the thing. These things build up and get unmanageable. I have to draw the line somewhere, and iOS music apps are irrevocably in that bucket.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Why?

I am aware of another MAJOR MAJOR iOS app developer who is going to probably do this in the not to distant future.....

It will be interesting to see if people stick with the no answer when it goes down......

What is the "major major" iOS developer?

• I actually got iCloud storage subscription, Spotify, and Amazon but that’s it.
    I’m always worried that the app would go defunct, and all my investments would disappear.

For music apps, I’m not a fan of “Pay money to use for a limited time”. It’s almost like “You can only be creative if you pay us money...”

If I would ever invest in a super expensive iOS app and it had to be subscription,

1. I need to be able to use it on other platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux)
    2. It needs to be a “rent to own”.
    3. It can’t be more than half the cost of my iPad.
    4. It has to be something I absolutely need, and there aren’t any replacements. (Shapr3D is a CAD app that is the closest thing to mind for me but I can’t pay a subscription for the app).
  • @ExAsperis99 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Why?

What is the "major major" iOS developer?

I second that question, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Apple, UVI, Retronyms, MSX Audio, ROLI etc. etc.etc....

• edited March 2020

You can buy Infuse Pro 6 outright for less than €30 @tja

It’s very useful if you have an Apple TV, family sharing works if you purchase instead of subscribing.

• Absolutely never.

Also curious to learn the identity of this soon-to-be MINOR MINOR iOS app developer

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@wim, I think that paying "the next major version" for Apps is the right way!

For example, Wotja uses this:

I can buy the App and use it with all the features of a year, for all times.

If I see the need for some new features from another year, I buy the App again.

This way I have no subscription and loose nothing.
    And the developer can get fresh money - as long as he continues to provide new features and continues to work on the App.

Perfect and best for both developer and customer, IMHO.

Just remember that gus compressor or whatever it was.... shiver. Just promisses, but no delivery.

• Netflix, Spotify, Soundcloud, iCloud, Patreon...well, I have enough recurring costs.

• I’m definitely down for the whole “buy it again” concept. I was definitely okay with the concept for Cubasis 3. Granted, it was executed very poorly considering the initial bugs and missing functionality. But the concept was great. Very similar to what I’ve been used to with PC software.

The only issue with that really is if you just bought the old version for $50 three weeks before the new one is released. That was an issue.

• It doesn’t happen that often but anyone who remembers Alchemy Pro knows that any app could vanish at any time.

There’s no such thing as permanent ownership with anything on the AppStore!

• No.

Apps will become worth it at some point.

• I don’t avoid subscriptions. What I don’t do are those games requiring credits and micro transactions. Hopefully that never comes to iOS music apps.

• I only use one subscription for a music tool since there is no alternative and its worth it for me.
    But it is for mac/windows and once i do not want it anymore i still have access to everything i used within my subscription time.
    Otherwise never ever, especially not for iOS where it always is unsure how long i can use and/or download things.

• @tja said:
    @wim, I think that paying "the next major version" for Apps is the right way!

For example, Wotja uses this{

Patterning 2 and Cubasis 3 used this route, launching a major new version after several years, and they’re still getting shit on every forum over it (“why aren’t you giving loyal customers a cheap upgrade???!”)..

I’m not convinced the majority of users are really willing to pay for new versions at all.