Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Get Cubasis 3 at a discount through Cubasis LE

edited March 2020 in General App Discussion

Unless I've misunderstood, if you have a piece of compatible hardware you can get Cubasis 3 for $21 at the moment.

Install Cubasis LE. Connect your hardware to unlock demo mode. Buy the IAP for $20.99

Obviously you need compatible hardware, but if you do this is currently a steal. Even if you only need half of what's on offer.

Comments

• Just to make this clear:

This does NOT give you Cubasis 3!

It gives you Cubasis LE with IAP that bring the functionality of Cubasis 3.

This is not the same thing and may potentially get you into problems or future upgrade issues.

• Are you sure?

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@cian said:
    Are you sure?

Yes, this is a fact. You do not get Cubasis 3. You get Cubasis LE3 with all the equivalent functionality of Cubasis 3, but it is a separate app. It will remain Cubasis LE3.

• @cian You are correct. You get Cubasis LE 3. It is free and does almost nothing until you unlock it with your hardware. After you unlock it, it has only a few features. Then you pay the IAP to unlock the full version.

I’ve been using Cubasis LE 2 for years and it is always exactly the same software once it’s unlocked. There have never been any upgrade issues.

I don’t know what the comment above is about, but I have personally been using LE 2 unlocked with no issues. Obviously, Cubasis LE 3 is a new piece of software, but it would be reasonable to expect that it should be about the same experience.

The biggest downside is you need to always have a compatible piece of hardware if you ever reinstall Cubasis. You only need to unlock it once after install.

• edited March 2020

@DMan said:
    I’ve been using Cubasis LE 2 for years and it is always exactly the same software once it’s unlocked. There have never been any upgrade issues.

Yeah that's what I figured. It being called Cubasis LE doesn't really bother me.

The biggest downside is you need to always have a compatible piece of hardware if you ever reinstall Cubasis. You only need to unlock it once after install.

Hmm. I currently do have one of Steinberg's interfaces, but I guess it's possible it might break or something. Hadn't really considered that.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@DMan said:
    @cian You are correct. You get Cubasis LE 3. It is free and does almost nothing until you unlock it with your hardware. After you unlock it, it has only a few features. Then you pay the IAP to unlock the full version.

I don’t know what the comment above is about, but I have personally been using LE 2 unlocked with no issues. Obviously, Cubasis LE 3 is a new piece of software, but it would be reasonable to expect that it should be about the same experience.

Yes and no. Functionally they are identical, but they are in fact separate apps. The point @tja was making is the app will always remain LE-3 even though all the functionality of the Cubasis 3 is fully there.

If that's not important to the buyer then for all intents and purposes it's the same thing. The only reason to point it out is so that before purchasing, people understand the difference.

• Fair - but the upgrade thing I think is probably a little misleading. Steinberg have supported Cubasis LE 2 just fine.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@cian said:
    Fair - but the upgrade thing I think is probably a little misleading. Steinberg have supported Cubasis LE 2 just fine.

Of course. The intent isn't to talk anyone out of the idea. It's only so that they understand the purchase.

I'm enough of a "completionist" that I'm seriously wrestling with myself over whether to pay the extra to no longer be a "LE" second-rater. :D Totally ridiculous. I hope my practical side wins so that I'm not thinking of the $11 I wasted just to get rid of that "LE" every time i open the app. :#

• The only downside I see in LE is that I’m guessing if you reinstalled the app you would again need to connect the interface to unlock it again, and in my case I own a supported interface but it’s not the one I prefer to use so in some bizarre scenario I suppose I could find myself locked out should I need to delete it temporarily for some reason.

• Also, consider the IAPs such as the Waves plugins etc.

• @u0421793 said:
    Also, consider the IAPs such as the Waves plugins etc.

Those are available in LE though, right?

• @cian said:

@u0421793 said:

They are, but it proves (as I found out) that they’re not (and I see no technical reason why not) transferable if you bought and upgraded the LE of a version, to the ‘Normal’ of the next major version. The LE owner is definitely a second-class and poorer category, not catered for in a hurry, and seemingly not as important at all, and yet, no indication of this was given at the start. Take my word for it.

• edited March 2020

According to Steinberg's site Cubasis LE is limited to 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks so even if you buy the iap your track count is still limited plus it missing several other features according to compare editions chart.
    https://new.steinberg.net/cubasis/le/

https://new.steinberg.net/cubasis/compare-editions/

• @u0421793 said:

@cian said:

@u0421793 said:

They are, but it proves (as I found out) that they’re not (and I see no technical reason why not) transferable if you bought and upgraded the LE of a version, to the ‘Normal’ of the next major version. The LE owner is definitely a second-class and poorer category, not catered for in a hurry, and seemingly not as important at all, and yet, no indication of this was given at the start. Take my word for it.

Ah - actually have many of the IAPs from Cubasis 2, so that's worth knowing. Still not sure that it's worth $37 (for me personally) to buy the full version though. Irritating. I guess I need to see if Auria Pro's bugs are going to cause me problems...

@hacked_to_pieces said:
    According to Steinberg's site Cubasis LE is limited to 4 audio tracks and 4 midi tracks so even if you buy the iap your track count is still limited plus it missing several other features according to compare editions chart.

If you get the IAP you have full access. The 4 audio tracks thing is only if you unlock it with supported hardware.

• @cian said:

@u0421793 said:

@cian said:

@u0421793 said:

Ah - actually have many of the IAPs from Cubasis 2, so that's worth knowing. Still not sure that it's worth $37 (for me personally) to buy the full version though. Irritating. I guess I need to see if Auria Pro's bugs are going to cause me problems...

@hacked_to_pieces said:

If you get the IAP you have full access. The 4 audio tracks thing is only if you unlock it with supported hardware.

Oh, ok I have the full version Cubasis 2 I was not aware of Cubasis LE until today.

• I have a Line 6 Sonic Port, which can’t plug into my USB-C iPad. This means I can’t activate my Cubasis LE on this iPad. I wrote to Cubasis about it, but they said it wasn’t their problem.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I have a Line 6 Sonic Port, which can’t plug into my USB-C iPad. This means I can’t activate my Cubasis LE on this iPad. I wrote to Cubasis about it, but they said it wasn’t their problem.

Try using a usb hub.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I have a Line 6 Sonic Port, which can’t plug into my USB-C iPad. This means I can’t activate my Cubasis LE on this iPad. I wrote to Cubasis about it, but they said it wasn’t their problem.

Yes, another argument for buying the real thing.
    Devices may also simply break.

Finally, it's not worth the hussle, I think.

• @u0421793 said:

@cian said:

@u0421793 said:

That used to be true, but according to Steinberg, it is possible to transfer all Cubasis LE2 IAP's to Cubasis 3 full version. The only IAP that wouldn't transfer, because its non-applicable, is the IAP to full functionality in LE2.

Which leaves me with the consideration of whether or not I want to pay the extra $12 or so to get out of LE and into Full, knowing that functionally they're equivalent but less somehow in my odd perception.

• @wim said:

@u0421793 said:

@cian said:

@u0421793 said:

That used to be true, but according to Steinberg, it is possible to transfer all Cubasis LE2 IAP's to Cubasis 3 full version. The only IAP that wouldn't transfer, because its non-applicable, is the IAP to full functionality in LE2.

Which leaves me with the consideration of whether or not I want to pay the extra $12 or so to get out of LE and into Full, knowing that functionally they're equivalent but less somehow in my odd perception.

That’s interesting, thanks, and puts it into a whole new light (the kind of light that makes me consider Cubasis 3 now after all, especially with an offer price on).

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@wim said:

@u0421793 said:

@cian said:

@u0421793 said:

Do it

Do it

You feel better then ;)

Remember, as it was unclear yet if there will be an Cubasis LE 3 at all...

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@tja said:

Do it

Do it

You feel better then ;)

Remember, as it was unclear yet if there will be an Cubasis LE 3 at all...

You are pushing me further down the slippery slope of OCD completionism. I'm not sure I want to give into that. :D

Next thing you know I'll be needing to stick to an all 192K sample rate workflow. :#

• @wim said:

@tja said:

Next thing you know I'll be needing to stick to an all 192K sample rate workflow. :#

Ah.

Oversampling plug-ins should suffice, but without an audio interface, this is not possible anyways ;)

• edited March 2020

What functionality do you think is not included when doing this method? Is it just the upgrade process going forward?

I'm only aware of one thing which they said will be possibly fixed in the future which is Cubasis 2 IAP transfer to the 3 LE version.

@tja said:
    Just to make this clear:

This is not the same thing and may potentially get you into problems or future upgrade issues.

• @Thelast27 said:
    What functionality do you think is not included when doing this method? Is it just the upgrade process going forward?

I'm only aware of one thing which they said will be possibly fixed in the future which is Cubasis 2 IAP transfer to the 3 LE version.

@tja said:
    Just to make this clear:

Cubasis LE is not the same App as Cubasis.
    You can add the same functionality as IAP, that’s all.

For example, if they decide to not fix / support / update the LE version anymore, that’s it with it.

That’s all what i said.
    It’s a different App.

• @tja said:

@Thelast27 said:

@tja said:
    Just to make this clear:

For example, if they decide to not fix / support / update the LE version anymore, that’s it with it.

That’s all what i said.
    It’s a different App.

Didn't they continuously maintain Cubasis 2 LE though?

• @Thelast27 said:

@tja said:

@Thelast27 said:

@tja said:
    Just to make this clear:

That’s all what i said.
    It’s a different App.

Yes.

Did i say something that contradicts that?

I stated a fact, nothing more.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

There is no functional difference. It's just a naming thing mostly.

However, as a small case in point: LE2 owners had to wait until now to have an LE3 version available, and at first it wasn't certain that IAPs would transfer. Steinberg clarified that IAPs would most likely transfer about a month after the original Cubasis 3 release but I don't think there was an absolute guarantee before then.

Downside? None really. I didn't upgrade at the time Cubasis 3 was released because of the time delay before LE3 release. I saved myself some frustration and about $20-$30 bucks by waiting. So no complaints here.

• edited April 2020

@tja said:

@Thelast27 said:

@tja said:

@Thelast27 said:

@tja said:
    Just to make this clear:

That’s all what i said.
    It’s a different App.

Yes.

Did i say something that contradicts that?

I stated a fact, nothing more.

I'm happy too, picked up CB3 finally for a lost less than the crazy AUD prices we have here.

• If I buy Cubasis 3 do my IAP’s from Cubasis 2 port over at no charge?