Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: I’m on my 4th camera connection kit

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Bought several non Apple ones over the years and when they do work they have usually stopped after the next software update.

• The best and yet most-hated advice here is to just stick with the Apple ones, because there aren't any reliable third-party ones out there.

• It’s also cheaper in the long run to choose the Apple ones first time round.

• I have had the same 3rd party one for a year and a half with zero issues , but it is for the iPad Pro USB c....some Chinese company called zmuipng and it was only 20$ with 3 ports and sd slot, definitely worth checking out

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can iPads that have a lightning port use USB C hubs?

• There are direct USB to Lightning cables now on ebay for about £6, Im about to investigate those.

• How would you keep charged ?

@Turntablist said:
    There are direct USB to Lightning cables now on ebay for about £6, Im about to investigate those.

• My genuine original CCK only works logo side up. Anyone else have that problem? Could be the iPad I suppose.

iPad 2017, 12.3.1

• Apple are cunning little monkeys, with each IOS upgrade suddenly you find your third party connection kit does not work, I wonder why?

• @d4d0ug said:
    My new Apple connector arrives tomorrow :smile:

Yes, I guess these more expensive (Apple) ones are worth it in the long run!

Shame that no one has developed a ‘sturdy’ version, I guess there’s not the market when you can sell again and again .... so much wasted plastic!

None of the third party Lightning to USB adapters are MFI. Meaning they are using counterfeit chips and hacks to work (hence the issues after OS upgrades), and haven't been tested for durability, etc. (hence breaking easily).

No doubt a company like Anker could make a decent adapter, but either the market isn't big enough or Apple doesn't allow third party adapters.

USB is an open standard, so anyone can get into the game. They don't need to get build specs or chips from Apple. While there's still the possibility of cheap and crappy products, since the full specs are published, manufacturers have a better chance of making something decent. Since they don't need to hack something together that might generate a cease-and-desist action from Apple.

That said, it's important to check the specs of the cable (or hub, but most hubs are full USB 3 compliant) USB C is just the connector type, it's not the spec for data transfer rates (that's the USB number, e.g. 3.1 Gen 2, 3.0, 2.0, etc.) It's entirely possible to get USB cables with Type C connectors that are only rated for USB 2.0 performance (480 Mbps). And then there's the issue with power handling....

@d4d0ug said:
    Is usb-3 more durable?

I'm assuming you mean USB C (again, the letter is the plug type, the number is the performance spec)? The fact there is a little, tiny tongue inside the port makes me nervous. I think it will prove more durable than micro USB B, but I think Lightning is much more durable (considering MFI products)

• I hate Apple.

• For the camera connector I only go Apple, I even try to keep my cables only Apple, too many issues with 3rd party ones. However I did just order 2 Amazon basics iPad cables....

• “Buy cheap, buy often”

They are expensive but if you want to have a working setup there’s no reliable alternative.

• I run 3 iPad Pro’s in my studios, I’ve never used third party anything .. only apple products .. and have never had a connection kit or cable crap out on me in 7 years.

• I’ve never had an Apple one die on me, even after my cat chewed on it. Worth paying a little extra to get the real thing when it comes to lightning adapters. I’m thankful for USB C on the pro, no longer have to worry about that.

• @Gravitas said:
    Can iPads that have a lightning port use USB C hubs?

Yes.

• I recently have an issue when I am in the moment and press iPad too hard or some of my other gear it disconnects and fucks my world up! LOL

• As far as cables are concerned I try to only get Apple but I’ve had several 3rd party ones over the years and they all stopped working, stopped being supported by device, and some would charge but won’t sync data etc... And that’s just cables.
    If it’s an adapter I always go Apple. It’s too important to my setup to mess around.

On a side note.... I couldn’t tell you how long it took me the other day to buy an official apple cable from a source other than Apple. On Walmart site particularly there are so many 3rd party sellers that advertise as an Apple product it’s crazy. Even on Amazon I had a similar problem but it wasn’t as bad. Even though it says Apple the price difference makes it suspicious, then you read specs and reviews. 9 out of 10 are probably knock offs advertising and looking like Apple products. I spent hours searching for a good deal on an Apple cable, eventually I gave up and got 2 Amazon Basics MiFi certified cables for $11, instead of 1 from Apple for $19. I have a couple apple cables already, and I hope these will work fine in addition. But the amount of fake Apple products, or what seemed fake was astonishing. Bottom line.....The only sure fire way to order an authentic Apple product is to order from Apple.

• @Tarekith said:

@Gravitas said:
    Can iPads that have a lightning port use USB C hubs?

Yes.

Thanks.

• edited March 2020

@Poppadocrock said:
    On a side note.... I couldn’t tell you how long it took me the other day to buy an official apple cable from a source other than Apple.

To be fair, there are plenty of other resellers of genuine Apple products. Walmart and Amazon are not good because they happen to represent lots of different sellers and unofficial storefronts and you’ll have trouble finding the genuine Apple product. Both of those websites are a hassle to find genuine accessories for Apple.

Good options in the US would be Bestbuy or B&H Photo Video, but not likely going to have a discount compared to Apple.com.

If you are looking for a discount eBay is an option but you have to find a seller that lists the genuine Apple part number, which obligates them to refund you the sale if the item received is not the genuine part listed on eBay.

• You are correct. Good to know about eBay. Thanks.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    As far as cables are concerned I try to only get Apple but I’ve had several 3rd party ones over the years and they all stopped working, stopped being supported by device, and some would charge but won’t sync data etc... And that’s just cables.
    If it’s an adapter I always go Apple. It’s too important to my setup to mess around.

On a side note.... I couldn’t tell you how long it took me the other day to buy an official apple cable from a source other than Apple. On Walmart site particularly there are so many 3rd party sellers that advertise as an Apple product it’s crazy. Even on Amazon I had a similar problem but it wasn’t as bad. Even though it says Apple the price difference makes it suspicious, then you read specs and reviews. 9 out of 10 are probably knock offs advertising and looking like Apple products. I spent hours searching for a good deal on an Apple cable, eventually I gave up and got 2 Amazon Basics MiFi certified cables for $11, instead of 1 from Apple for $19. I have a couple apple cables already, and I hope these will work fine in addition. But the amount of fake Apple products, or what seemed fake was astonishing. Bottom line.....The only sure fire way to order an authentic Apple product is to order from Apple.

Anker makes great cables. They are MFI certified and several of their models have lifetime warranties. They're cheaper than Apple and have products that Apple doesn't (e.g. I have a couple of 10' Lightning cables that are incredibly useful for not having to be stuck within an arms-length of an outlet)

• edited March 2020

Anker is fantastic for lightning cables. I am slowly replacing all my broken Apple cables with Anker cables.

I don’t think Anker make a camera connection kit, but I would trust their USB-C hubs (if I had a USB-C iPad).

• @aplourde said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    As far as cables are concerned I try to only get Apple but I’ve had several 3rd party ones over the years and they all stopped working, stopped being supported by device, and some would charge but won’t sync data etc... And that’s just cables.

Anker makes great cables. They are MFI certified and several of their models have lifetime warranties. They're cheaper than Apple and have products that Apple doesn't (e.g. I have a couple of 10' Lightning cables that are incredibly useful for not having to be stuck within an arms-length of an outlet)

Don't forget the Anker lifetime warranty for their high-end cables.