Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a way to run Nanostudio 2 in sync with Cubasis 2?

NS2 got no Audiotracks yet, so i wonder if i could run Cubasis in full sync in the background.
I tried with the MIDIsync link app, but with no luck. Or do you know other solutions? I think the key is the Ableton link support that CB does not have.

Comments

• You shall have no other DAW besides Cubasis. 😁

One thing works in Cubasis 2 as long as you don't loop playback (due to a bug reported 20 times but never fixed by the Cubasis team since > 2 years):

• Make sure your arrangement starts with some empty space for the two to catch up
    • Enable MIDI clock sending in C2
    • Use MIDI Link Sync to translate MIDI clock to LINK
    • Attach NS2 to the LINK session.

I wouldn't call this a great solution but it's at least one way to run both in sync somehow.

• Thank you, but no, this exactly does not work. MIDI link sync says "Waiting for MIDI clock start" even when i switch Send Midi Clock in Cubasis on, restart it, restart the iPad.... Nothing!

• I think better 'in the box" solution is to use 4pockets "Multitrack" AU plugin inside NS2 ... for recording other AU synths to audio it works like a breeze, for recording from HW input you can use standalone version, it records into app internal pool which is then directly accessible from within plugin version in NS2 too ..

• @dendy a little brutal off-topic question : what is the status of releasing audio tracks for NS2? Some news?

• @Pummelfee said:
    Thank you, but no, this exactly does not work. MIDI link sync says "Waiting for MIDI clock start" even when i switch Send Midi Clock in Cubasis on, restart it, restart the iPad.... Nothing!

Make sure you select the correct input in MIDI Link Sync.

• @dendy said:
    I think better 'in the box" solution is to use 4pockets "Multitrack" AU plugin inside NS2 ... for recording other AU synths to audio it works like a breeze, for recording from HW input you can use standalone version, it records into app internal pool which is then directly accessible from within plugin version in NS2 too ..

Oh my, that doesn't really sound like a solution 🤔
    Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

• do you want to record or just playback audio files?

• edited March 2020

i used the Auditor fileplayer au3 for a project to playback files inside of nanostudio.

not as comfortable as native audio tracks but was a acceptable workaround to me. also good in sync.

would be great if this plugin would record as well.

• @nuno_agogo said:
    i used the Auditor fileplayer au3 for a project to playback files inside of nanostudio.

not as comfortable as native audio tracks but was a acceptable workaround to me. also good in sync.

Unfortunately an AUv3 plug-in does not have access to the audio-interfaces to do the recording.
    The audio would have to be routed from NS2 to the AUv3 Plug-In...
    (In practice this would require NS2 to have audio-tracks or at least 'fake' an AudioInput that can be routed to a Plug-In).

• edited March 2020

@samu said:

Unfortunately an AUv3 plug-in does not have access to the audio-interfaces to do the recording.
    (In practice this would require NS2 to have audio-tracks or at least 'fake' an AudioInput that can be routed to a Plug-In).

there is always a hitch ;)

• @nuno_agogo said:

This one: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/auditor-audio-editor/id1248284381
    ??

I don't want to record, just have an audio track (radio play) running together with the NS2 sequencer.
    Can i have multiple instances of the plugin? And can i automate the volumes?

• @Samu said:

@nuno_agogo said:

What's the advantage over Slate?

• edited March 2020

@Pummelfee said:
    This one: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/auditor-audio-editor/id1248284381
    ??

I don't want to record, just have an audio track (radio play) running together with the NS2 sequencer.
    Can i have multiple instances of the plugin? And can i automate the volumes?

yes thats the one. the standalone is an very capable audio file editor. and the au3 file player is an additional feature.

guess you can use multiple instances. i think per track would be reasonable. automation should work via track volume

@rs2000: i would say the advantage lies in the simplicity that the file player has. i don't know about slate and sync, but with the player you can skip through the song an the audio file gets played at the corresponding part (i guess, i was using it with lose spoken word only 😬)

• @nuno_agogo said:
    @rs2000: i would say the advantage lies in the simplicity that the file player has. i don't know about slate and sync, but with the player you can skip through the song an the audio file gets played at the corresponding part (i guess, i was using it with lose spoken word only 😬)

Oh, that's indeed an interesting feature. Didn't know that, thanks!
    With Slate you'd have to trigger the sample at the correct position and it wouldn't play if you arbitrarily jumped in the arrangement.

• @rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

With Slate you'd have to trigger the sample at the correct position and it wouldn't play if you arbitrarily jumped in the arrangement.

i thinks it's worth it to play around with the file player au3 a little bit. at least for "one take" audio it seems to be a solution.

• @nuno_agogo said:

@rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

i thinks it's worth it to play around with the file player au3 a little bit. at least for "one take" audio it seems to be a solution.

What does the player do when you change the BPM in the host?
    Time stretching?
    Or re-pitching without preserving tempo?
    Or nothing?

• @rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

@rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

Time stretching?
    Or nothing?

just tried that. no re-pitch no time-stretching.

• @nuno_agogo said:

@rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

@rs2000 said:

@nuno_agogo said:

Time stretching?
    Or nothing?

Hmm. So how does it synchronize the audio position with the playhead position then?

• @rs2000 said: >

Hmm. So how does it synchronize the audio position with the playhead position then?

there is a host sync option that seems to handle the position in relation with playtime. but i'm not sure.

here's a part of the manual...

• edited March 2020

HOST: The player uses the host clock to synchronize file playback.

So I still don't understand how that synchronization works. Without re-pitching or time-stretching, that sounds like the way audio files are handled in KORG Gadget - they simply start playing at the beginning of the pattern and if you change the host bpm, the audio will always be out of sync.
    Is that the case?
    Sorry to insist but I might actually get Auditor just for that plugin.

• @rs2000 said:

So I still don't understand how that synchronization works. Without re-pitching or time-stretching, that sounds like the way audio files are handled in KORG Gadget - they simply start playing at the beginning of the pattern and if you change the host bpm, the audio will always be out of sync.
    Is that the case?

yes i believe that's how it works. so if you need to change tempo it won't be a solution for that.

• @rs2000 said:

Is that the case?

MultiTrack Recorder is somewhere in the middle. If you enable it, playback will sync to the host's timeline. However, it doesn't do real-time time stretch, so you have to go in and re-stretch the audio clips to get them back into sync if you change the tempo.

• @wim Ah OK, so are the timelines of host and plugin synced in a way that when you change the bpm of the host, the clips on a MTR track are moved towards or apart from each other?

• @rs2000 said:
    @wim Ah OK, so are the timelines of host and plugin synced in a way that when you change the bpm of the host, the clips on a MTR track are moved towards or apart from each other?

You have to change the internal BPM to match the host in order for things to line up after a tempo change. On the other hand, since you can have multiple tracks in one plugin, you don't have to do this in a bunch of different instances of the plugin.

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:
    @wim Ah OK, so are the timelines of host and plugin synced in a way that when you change the bpm of the host, the clips on a MTR track are moved towards or apart from each other?

You have to change the internal BPM to match the host in order for things to line up after a tempo change. On the other hand, since you can have multiple tracks in one plugin, you don't have to do this in a bunch of different instances of the plugin.

OK, thanks. Seems like when working with audio tracks a lot, it's going to be Cubasis 2, Audio Evolution or Beatmaker 3.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

OK, thanks. Seems like when working with audio tracks a lot, it's going to be Cubasis 2, Audio Evolution or Beatmaker 3.

Yes, for Audio Tracks arranging Cubasis is my favourite. But the MIDI editor in NS2 is way better IMHO, thats because i prefer to compose in NS. Since i dont need timestretching for audiotracks i will give auditor a try.
    thank you for your comments so far!!

• Can someone please tell me, if the Auditor app can act as a host for Audio Units Effects?

• @Pummelfee said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

Yes, for Audio Tracks arranging Cubasis is my favourite. But the MIDI editor in NS2 is way better IMHO, thats because i prefer to compose in NS. Since i dont need timestretching for audiotracks i will give auditor a try.
    thank you for your comments so far!!

I am using NS2 to create basic tracks and then exporting them to arrange in Zenbeats. If there’s something I want to add I either use Zenbeats or go back to NS2 to create the part and then export to use in ZB. They don't lock to each other unfortunately but this workflow is fine for what I am doing.

• @Pummelfee said:
    Can someone please tell me, if the Auditor app can act as a host for Audio Units Effects?

No, it doesn’t host AU plugins.