Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Tracking Current Developments in Coronavirus Science and Public Health

Comments

• FYI:

World 1.0 World 2.0
    110 successive months of job growth 10 million jobless claims in 2 weeks
    10 year bull market across sectors Winners and losers with extreme outcome inequality
    Full employment 30% unemployment
    Base rate thinking First principles thinking
    Physical Digital
    Office by default Remote by default
    Office for work Office for connection, community, ecosystem, makerspaces
    Suit, tie, wristwatch, business card Good lighting, microphone, webcam, home office background
    Commute + traffic jams Home + family
    Last mile Only mile
    Restaurants Groceries + delivery
    $4 toast Sourdough starter
    Walkscore Speedtest
    Cities Internet
    $100k for college Not paying $100k for a webinar
    City Countryside
    YIMBY NIMBY
    Internal issues Exogenous shock
    Lots of little problems One big problem
    Stupid bullshit Actual issues
    Too much technology Too little technology
    Complacency Action
    Years Days
    Policy Capacity
    Ideology Competence
    Assume some government competence Assume zero government competence
    Institutions Ghost ships
    WHO Who?
    Trusted institutions Trusted people
    Globalization Decoupling
    Just-in-time Stockpile
    Tail risk is kooky Tail risk is mainstream
    NATO Asia
    Boomers most powerful Boomers most vulnerable
    Productivity growth collapse Economic collapse
    Social services Democrat UBI Communist
    Propaganda Propaganda
    Deficit hawks MMT
    Corporate debt Government debt
    Techlash Tech a pillar of civilization and lifeline to billions
    Break up Amazon Don’t break up Amazon!!!
    Avoiding social issues Avoiding layoffs
    Sports Esports
    Phone is a cigarette Phone is oxygen
    Resource depletion $20 oil, $0.75 watt solar, <$100/kwh batteries
    Stasis Change
    Low volatility High volatility
    Design Logistics
    Extrovert Introvert
    Open Closed
    20th century 21st century
  • edited April 2020

https://www.thewellnessseeker.com/coronavirus-treatment-covid-19-natural-treatment/

BTW... I see Big Pharma has his 'agents' out and about discrediting mother nature... I guess they are coming in for the kill, shameless as they are..

• @RajahP said:
    https://www.thewellnessseeker.com/coronavirus-treatment-covid-19-natural-treatment/

BTW... I see Big Pharma has his 'agents' out and about discrediting mother nature... I guess they are coming in for the kill, shameless as they are..

There is still very limited data about whether hydrochloroquine is effective.

I would be cautious about making strong claims at this point about anything as a remedy without pretty strong evidence. It is also worth noting that herbal remedy promoters are not necessarily angels -- they often promote substances of limited effectiveness in search of profits -- just like big pharma.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2020

Try to take this information in without using those Xenophobic filters and just a global perspective. How the virus moves in waves:

A retired bioresearcher sent a non-mathematical explanation that makes sense. The virus originated in China, and I'm trying to understand why it's not everywhere.
    Here's the story:

People do move freely about the US, but it isn’t random movement. There are also nuances in genetic, endemic disease, age distribution demographics, health care infrastructure.

Travelers congregate at airports, on cruise ships, and mingle at tourist destinations. There have been numerous maps published that show how spread of the virus aligns with popular travel routes and political alignments. Winter holiday travel turned out to be a particularly bad idea last year.

Our index case was already symptomatic when he left Wuhan and came home to Seattle in mid-January. New York didn’t see their first case until March (via Iran). Both are coastal cities with seaports, major airports, universities, and diverse populations, but NYC is half the size of Seattle and has about nine times as many people. New Yorkers literally can’t get away from each other.

Chinese Americans are not homogeneously distributed across the US, and they tend to live, work, and travel in aggregates. NYC and Seattle demographics show about the same proportions of Asians, but NYC’s are jammed more tightly together and an airborne contagion would hit more people, more quickly there.

California's significant Asian population is clustered in Santa Clara County, by far the hardest hit by the virus. The state has been under shelter-in-place orders since mid-March.

Philadelphia has a tiny Asian population and they’re all in one district. Philly also has a very large and well-equipped hospital in Center City; they’re prepared.

Drilling down into the data, West Virginia was late to the party imo because the folks who choose to live there like their solitude in the woods, and they don’t travel much. This held back the spread in the western parts of adjacent states (Maryland and Pennsylvania) where the first cases weren’t seen intil mid-March. None of these areas have significant Asian populations.The two Maryland counties with large Asian populations recorded their first cases a month earlier.

HERE'S THE TAKE-AWAY FACT:

The wave thing is - once the virus is in the door, one way or another it’s gonna find you - it’ll getcha getcha getcha - unless it can’t, of course.

Just got off the phone with my 2nd daughter with a 4 month old infant. She has symptoms BUT they are mild. Her husband works double shifts at the US Border to mexico. In other words with the public. Fuck that crap about people who here to work taking jobs from Americans.

A Border Agent can't avoid exposure and they can't keep enough supplies of PPE on hand to try... so... it was only a matter of time really. At home he has been acting like he has it and taking precautions but here we are. Mom and baby probably have it. Sooner than later is better for my peace of mind to get a spot at the hospital if needed.

I believe we all must takes this test... it would be nice to believe there will be spots in an ICU if needed but maybe NOT or maybe we don't meet the criteria for prioritization. My wife and I do NOT. I wanted to take the test early but we can hold out for a long time.

Still, we will all have to run the gauntlet to immunity to be able to change behaviors and have some peace of mind.

The facts on the ground may change. The India-based home test for antibodies will help confirm it's come and gone. So, there's that good news. If the technology of the test is shared it should become wide spread ASAP... maybe in a month or 3.

• @espiegel123, you are most certainly correct. The 1918 flu came back stronger and did much more damage in the second and third waves.

@McD, eighteen months is for the bureaucratic process. Any vaccine can be delivered much quicker if we are willing to take more risk (as we discussed on the vent thread). Let gates build his five vaccine factories and let the results speak for themselves without the usual American obsessiveness. Just my opinion, of course.

• edited April 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

There is still very limited data about whether hydrochloroquine is effective.

I would be cautious about making strong claims at this point about anything as a remedy without pretty strong evidence. It is also worth noting that herbal remedy promoters are not necessarily angels -- they often promote substances of limited effectiveness in search of profits -- just like big pharma.

I guess, growing in the botanical culture as I have grown, it’s a natural.. It is only recently society has come to terms with Cannabis.. They used to lock your ass up for having it not too long ago..

BTW, I bought a packet of Cinchona for like $1.50.. don’t think one can profit much from those prices..

edit.. sorry, it was $.99

• @LinearLineman said:
    @McD, eighteen months is for the bureaucratic process. Any vaccine can be delivered much quicker if we are willing to take more risk (as we discussed on the vent thread).

You realize the virus has a death rate of 1-2%? So, what if a rushed vaccine doubles the death rate because it had some effects in the 1-2 range? Sometimes a bureaucracy houses
    subject matter expertise that can assess risks based upon 20 years of experience. Please don't assume they are always the real problem... Trump did that and just cleaned house of all expertise in favor of jobs for big donors and their kids. The people he has hired have no resume for their roles.

• @mcd, I don’t think that would happen. According to that essay you could immediately make it worthwhile for a thousand people to risk being guinea pigs and see if there were significant problems. I certainly know nothing about it, but if you are someone in power I think it is worth not blindly accepting that there is only one way to get the job done. Besides in the extra year or two it could take who knows how many will die?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Besides in the extra year or two it could take who knows how many will die?

US population: 327.2 million
    Global Population: 7.58 billion

Maybe 60% get it?
    US 192M
    Global 4.5B

1% death rate?
    US: 2M
    Global: 45M

So manufacture and distribute to 4.7B or some large fraction?

There will be other consequences to manage in parallel: famines, wars, IOS bugs.

• @McD, over what period of time will 60% get it? Lots of speculation here no matter what road you go down. All I know is until there is a vaccine me and my ex wife GF can’t go into a store or reopen business due to age and preexisting conditions..So that is 1-2 years. I am guessing that is the same case for you?

• McDMcD
    edited April 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    @McD, over what period of time will 60% get it? Lots of speculation here no matter what road you go down. All I know is until there is a vaccine me and my ex wife GF can’t go into a store or reopen business due to age and preexisting conditions..So that is 1-2 years. I am guessing that is the same case for you?

How long is a function of the rate of transmission in the "If You Read One Thing... article".
    Low rate of transmission then up to 2 years. High rates: 50+M dead globally in 6-8 months maybe?

This is why experts are frantic for data to improve the accuracy of projections and improve the planning to do less damage to the world order. That 50M is just from Covid-19.

Maybe we'll accept these results and move on to lessons learned and do better next time to contain it early and effectively.

Maybe a global effort for virus detection and emergency management?

FYI: Global warming is melting the permafrost and releasing ancient viruses. Bats carry a huge number of cataloged Corona Virus variations
    already. Why bats? Because they hit it out of the ball park.

I would cite sources but I confuse all these threads I read here. Is this
    the Drambo infection thread? It has a kill rate of about 3% of my brain cells
    in just a few days.

• @LinearLineman : you seem to be making assumptions that the reasons that it will likely take 18 months or more to develop and deploy a vaccine are primarily bureaucratic red-tape. 18 months would be incredibly fast from the start of work to manufactured vaccine.

I’d be cautious for those of us not knowledgeable of the intricacies of the sign to second guess what seems to be a a pretty strong consensus among people with a vested interest in seeing this happen fast just because we don’t understand why it might take 18 months.

Here are some articles that discuss some of the issues involved in getting this done:

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/doctor-note-long-covid-19-vaccine-200403163646558.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-says-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-18-months-away

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/why-a-coronavirus-vaccine-takes-over-a-year-to-produce-and-why-that-is-incredibly-fast/

• @espiegel123 said:
    @LinearLineman : you seem to be making assumptions that the reasons that it will likely take 18 months or more to develop and deploy a vaccine are primarily bureaucratic red-tape. 18 months would be incredibly fast from the start of work to manufactured vaccine.

I’d be cautious for those of us not knowledgeable of the intricacies of the sign to second guess what seems to be a a pretty strong consensus among people with a vested interest in seeing this happen fast just because we don’t understand why it might take 18 months.

Here are some articles that discuss some of the issues involved in getting this done:

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/doctor-note-long-covid-19-vaccine-200403163646558.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-says-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-18-months-away

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/why-a-coronavirus-vaccine-takes-over-a-year-to-produce-and-why-that-is-incredibly-fast/

I started to what a video on YouTube by an academic that is 1 hour long. It detailed
    the cellular details of viruses and their replication in the human body and it quickly became apparent:

This is one of those 10,000 hour level science fields where we are just in the initial stages
    of solving these types of bio-pharma problems. Many labs and minds on the problem are
    the best hope for a breakthrough to identify an effective treatment. Maybe we'll get lucky and find our way faster than 2 years to mass manufacturing, distribution and treatment.

But without a treatment plan we will take our losses and re-group for the next event.

• edited April 2020

Two studies about possible correlation (or even causality) between severe / fatal covid cases and ACE-inhibitors/ ABRs (they are used in many hypertension, cholesterol and diabetes cures) .. very interesting (and very alarming in case it is true)

https://thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanres/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1bE2Z09gKtFDQVZZ1IA6ulUijs8EPBhr7SLTWrsYOI7S8Yu0DeChFPMIY

https://cebm.net/covid-19/angiotensin-converting-enzyme-ace-inhibitors-and-angiotensin-receptor-blockers-in-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR18hX6380VSaJfseubJKoINV6rZbKQEXyO1RRBFWNkM5-UNgyS5Rs07PfI

• Cross species further transmission, not a good sign, a tiger in Bronx Zoo.

• Interesting read on the potential viability (or not) of Hydroxychloroquine:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/06/hydroxychloroquine-update-for-april-6

Basically since the mortality rate of the virus is low, it's very difficult to establish the statistical significance of any treatment. The initial study in Marseille only had 26 patients, so most of them would have recovered anyway. Again, the only sensible way to approach this is to keep an open mind, and respect the truth, whichever way it falls.

• The odds of survival are being re-assessed as more data is coming in:

source: Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine
    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

The number of people infected has been undetermined due to a lack of testing
    so the models only counted those with symptoms requiring attention. Which means the
    percentages of inflected population was too low but many were slipping past the turnstiles to be counted in the early months.

My personal odds look pretty good. All that focus my Registered Nurse wife has had on
    longevity will pay off to help me compete in my age group. COPD sufferers will really pay for ignoring the surgeon general's labeling.

• @McD said:
    The odds of survival are being re-assessed as more data is coming in:

source: Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine
    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

The number of people infected has been undetermined due to a lack of testing
    so the models only counted those with symptoms requiring attention. Which means the
    percentages of inflected population was too low but many were slipping past the turnstiles to be counted in the early months.

My personal odds look pretty good. All that focus my Registered Nurse wife has had on
    longevity will pay off to help me compete in my age group. COPD sufferers will really pay for ignoring the surgeon general's labeling.

Assessment of lethality right now are very hard to make accurately, quite a few articles have been written in the last two weeks about the likelihood that “excess death” corresponding to the pandemic is likely quite a bit higher (possibly you a factor fri 2 to as much as 10 times higher in some places) than are being recorded. There was an article yesterday indicating that the number of people that die at home averages 20-25 per day but recently has risen to 200-250 per day...and none of those deaths show up as being COVID related.

From what I’ve read, it will probably be a year before we have accurate estimates. I posted some articles about the topic in the other thread last week.

• Interesting article about testing wastewater to Gauguin community spread of COVID-19

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/07/new-research-wastewater-community-spread-covid-19/

• @richardyot said:
    Interesting read on the potential viability (or not) of Hydroxychloroquine:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/06/hydroxychloroquine-update-for-april-6

Basically since the mortality rate of the virus is low, it's very difficult to establish the statistical significance of any treatment. The initial study in Marseille only had 26 patients, so most of them would have recovered anyway. Again, the only sensible way to approach this is to keep an open mind, and respect the truth, whichever way it falls.

It has come to a political issue as it was in Alexander Hamilton’s Yellow Fever Time.. Basically the same drug... The Bark treatment... The West Indian Treatment..

• In the UK now an advisory from the veterinary profession for cat owners to keep them inside during the virus threat period.

• @knewspeak said:
    In the UK now an advisory from the veterinary profession for cat owners to keep them inside during the virus threat period.

Indeed. Stores have been increasingly short of fresh meat.

• @RajahP said:

@richardyot said:

It has come to a political issue as it was in Alexander Hamilton’s Yellow Fever Time.. Basically the same drug... The Bark treatment... The West Indian Treatment..

So far, the evidence is still not strong that hydrochloriquine of quinine are effective against coronavirus. A few articles have been posted about that.

Perhaps, they will be helpful, but so far the evidence is not compelling.

• @espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@richardyot said:

So far, the evidence is still not strong that hydrochloriquine of quinine are effective against coronavirus. A few articles have been posted about that.

It really does not matter to me.. I grew up drinking the darn thing.. and I’m rediscovering what a healthy satisfying drink it is...

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/michigan-democrat-says-hydroxychloroquine-saved-her-life/

• @RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@richardyot said:

It really does not matter to me.. I grew up drinking the darn thing.. and I’m rediscovering what a healthy satisfying drink it is...

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/michigan-democrat-says-hydroxychloroquine-saved-her-life/

Drink it if you want. That article is the definition of an anecdote. A person attributing something to their recovery doesn't make it the actual source of their recovery.

It really is worthwhile for people to read the articles critiquing the chloroquine/coronavirus studies to date (posted earlier), they provide some insights that aren't obvious as to why you actually need a well-designed study and analysis done by people that understand the math to know what a study does or doesn't tell you.

• @richardyot said:
    Interesting read about infection rates in the US:

http://systrom.com/blog/the-metric-we-need-to-manage-covid-19/

Thanks for posting, but something that I didn't see mentioned (but perhaps I overlooked it) is that there is not enough testing nor consistent levels of testing in various regions to know how many cases there are or how rapidly case loads are changing. In California, for instance, there is still a test shortage and not all people suspected of being infected are being tested.

Epidemiologists here chatter about which metrics they can use to gauge the changes in case rate in a useful way. Some extrapolate from some combimation of hospital admission data and deaths and test results.

It is one of the biggest frustrations of the public health folks that there hasn't been a effect centralized effort to get the testing in place to accurately assess the viral spread. It is essential for knowing when it is safe to loosen restrictions and when to lock down hot spots.

In Northern California, they ratcheted up restrictions about 20 days ago because while curve has flattened , the transmission rate was still too high.

• @espiegel123 said:

@richardyot said:
    Interesting read about infection rates in the US:

http://systrom.com/blog/the-metric-we-need-to-manage-covid-19/

Thanks for posting, but something that I didn't see mentioned (but perhaps I overlooked it) is that there is not enough testing nor consistent levels of testing in various regions to know how many cases there are or how rapidly case loads are changing. In California, for instance, there is still a test shortage and not all people suspected of being infected are being tested.

Epidemiologists here chatter about which metrics they can use to gauge the changes in case rate in a useful way. Some extrapolate from some combimation of hospital admission data and deaths and test results.

It is one of the biggest frustrations of the public health folks that there hasn't been a effect centralized effort to get the testing in place to accurately assess the viral spread. It is essential for knowing when it is safe to loosen restrictions and when to lock down hot spots.

In Northern California, they ratcheted up restrictions about 20 days ago because while curve has flattened , the transmission rate was still too high.

No the data is incomplete, this is mentioned on the Twitter thread the article was linked from.