Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: First Hardware Synth

Trying to decide on my first hardware synth. Right now I’m looking at something small like the Bastl Kastle or Korg NTS-01. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Trying to keep it around $100.

I do have several Pocket Operators, but I guess I don’t consider them to be the same as other hardware synths? I don’t know.

Comments

• edited March 2020

Plenty of used keyboard synths, rack synths, and desktop synths can be had for $100.
    Yamaha DX/TG/SY/MU, Roland, Kawai...but free softsynths may be better.

Hardware:
    Used Korg Volca.
    Used Behringer.
    Used Bastl Microgranny.
    Used Roland MC09.
    Korg Monotron.
    Stylophone.
    Modal Craft.
    https://www.perfectcircuit.com/electronic/gadgets.html?product_list_order=price&tabIndex=electronic_category
    https://www.perfectcircuit.com/electronic/desktop-synths.html?product_list_order=price&tabIndex=electronic_category

• edited March 2020

That highly depends on what you're looking for.
    I don't own one but watching the people I know, it seems that the KORG Monologue (although a bit more expensive) has the best price vs fun ratio.

Edit: Also have a look at the Arturia Microbrute 1 (cheaper) and Minibrute 2 (better).
    Behringers (Crave!) are also worth a look if you have to stay closer to $100.

• Hi,
    At that ~$100 price the NTS, or other Volcas like the FM are probably the best options.

If you can stretch the price & have enough room (although it’s not a big synth), I recommend the Yamaha Reface CS

The RefaceCS has 1 slider/function, lots of synth modes, super fast lfo, great fx, can be battery powered for about 4-6hrs, come with its own power supply, has its own speakers (v.convenient), it’s really easy to use, has an iOS app that lets you save and load sounds, and sounds great

I’ve heard peeps say that because there’s a similar app by Yamaha on the AppStore that the CS isn’t worth getting, but I still highly recommend it for the hands on control

HST, I know it’s more expensive than you’d like and also bigger too, but whatever you decide I hope you enjoy and make some kool sounds! All the best 😺🎧🎛

• I just got a monologue and it is great.

• edited March 2020

I have a Monologue and it's great.

A couple of notable shortcomings in my opinion,

The Envelope resets to zero at every note on event. With short attack times this isn't necessary bad, a snappy almost funky vibe. Fine for percussive patches. Long attack and release times don't work out well IMO. The new note cuts the release stage and starts the new attack stage from silence. Really not how an analog envelope works. Not necessarily a deal breaker but it is a limitation.

No LFO key tracking. Not as egregious as the envelope behavior, more a missed opportunity. The LFO runs into audio rate territory and some marvellous timbres can be found there. Unfortunately those timbres will vary wildly across the keyboard, so melodically they're essentially unusable. Percussively though this can work out awesomely.

The Monologue is great for certain things, sounds good IMO, value for money definitely. Better than a bunch of Volcas, well yeah TBH. I'm guessing they can be picked up fairly cheaply second hand. I can't think of another Synth around that price that would offer better functionality and sound better so I'd recommend. If it wasn't for the above misgivings I'd have bought a second, maybe even a third.

• FPCFPC
    edited March 2020

@gdog said:
    Hi,
    At that ~$100 price the NTS, or other Volcas like the FM are probably the best options.

If you can stretch the price & have enough room (although it’s not a big synth), I recommend the Yamaha Reface CS

The RefaceCS has 1 slider/function, lots of synth modes, super fast lfo, great fx, can be battery powered for about 4-6hrs, come with its own power supply, has its own speakers (v.convenient), it’s really easy to use, has an iOS app that lets you save and load sounds, and sounds great

I’ve heard peeps say that because there’s a similar app by Yamaha on the AppStore that the CS isn’t worth getting, but I still highly recommend it for the hands on control

HST, I know it’s more expensive than you’d like and also bigger too, but whatever you decide I hope you enjoy and make some kool sounds! All the best 😺🎧🎛

+1 for the Yamaha Reface CS. It's a beautiful little machine, so easy to use and works great as an iOS controller too.

Korg Volcas play nicely (sync) with your existing pocket operators and are just great little things. The older models can be picked up cheaply used.

• I have also considered the Volcas. Looking at the Nubass if I do spend the extra money.

• Novation Circuit?