Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB3, AUM, ApeMatrix - IDAM Latency Test

Was testing some IDAM stuff today.

USB MIDI controller -> Live 10 -> iPhone 6 (last iOS 12) and 7+ (iOS 13.4) via IDAM (IAA Animoog).

Had the same synth set up with the same routing, same audio settings in all three apps and both phones.

One of the hosts was unusable, particularly on one device. Two were fine on both.

Any guesses which host app was causing probs?

Latency!!!
  1. Who is the culprit?17 votes
    1. AB3
      35.29%
    2. AUM
      35.29%
    3. ApeMatrix
      29.41%

Comments

• edited March 2020

Of of the things to check out is also what sample-rate is used... IDAM is sensitive to that.
    For some reason my iPad Air 2 works best with IDAM when using 44.1K, 48K causes insane latency.

• edited March 2020

@Samu said:
    Of of the things to check out is also what sample-rate is used... IDAM is sensitive to that.
    For some reason my iPad Air 2 works best with IDAM wen using 44.1K, 48K causes insane latency.

Yeah, same here...44.1kHz even in aggregates with other 48kHz devices...always

Also, Animoog doesn't like 64 sample buffer in any host so always 128.

• Mixing sample rates on the aggregated device could be one cause for the latency issues...

For example If I only use the USB->Lightning Cable and set the HOST to 48K I get extreme latency.
    If I set the host to 44.1K the latency goes away...

I don't use aggregated devices.

• @Samu said:
    Mixing sample rates on the aggregated device could be one cause for the latency issues...

For example If I only use the USB->Lightning Cable and set the HOST to 48K I get extreme latency.

Aggregate devices often cause strangely high latency. Isn’t the Air 2 natively 44k? If so that would explain why it works best when the sample rate is 44k for the session.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:
    Mixing sample rates on the aggregated device could be one cause for the latency issues...

Aggregate devices often cause strangely high latency. Isn’t the Air 2 natively 44k? If so that would explain why it works best when the sample rate is 44k for the session.

The Air 2 can 'switch' sample-rate but one also has to make sure that the app in question is set to output at correct sample-rate to avoid extra added latency.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

The Air 2 can 'switch' sample-rate but one also has to make sure that the app in question is set to output at correct sample-rate to avoid extra added latency.

Air 3 is sadly fixed at 48k

• @tja said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

Air 3 is sadly fixed at 48k

So try it at 48k. The issue he experienced may be related to the device.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    Was testing some IDAM stuff today.

Have you done any measurements and also tried multiple synths that eat some considerable CPU or was it rather a subjective test?

• edited March 2020

I do use aggregated devices frequently but today's test was just the IDAM input alone and I was monitoring simply with another interface. This is why I mentioned it here. ..because I was very surprised by the outcomes!

There's a bit more to it. I've had issues with charging and intermittent disconnections on and off over months/years...because Apple. But I've found ways around it.

These days I use Loopback 2 (macOS) to create a kind of 'device wrapper' for the IDAM device(s)...so that Live 10 won't crash if a USB cable gets bumped etc. Though the wrapper can be set to different sample rates, only 44.1 works properly.

I feel that this was quite an unbiased test. And while I didn't actually measure latency times I can tell you that there was one host that displayed scary latency!!! I was wondering if anybody else experienced this...because as much as I like the app and it's the UI, it just doesn't work that well.

I also tested with Magellan 2 (AUv3) and had basically identical results.

• BTW, I'll reveal the app's name after a decent number of votes. So far, the votes are not reflecting reality!

• I don't know if it is related but AUM always seems to eat more CPU on my device than other hosts. Nanostudio 2 is quite the opposite but that's only a very subjective experience.
    Curious about your results.

• OK, Well AB3 was the app giving me trouble.> @rs2000 said:

I don't know if it is related but AUM always seems to eat more CPU on my device than other hosts. Nanostudio 2 is quite the opposite but that's only a very subjective experience.

I've found AUM to be super stable on all devices I've tried it on. But who knows? We all have unique setups, I guess.

The app that was causing problems for me was AB3.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    OK, Well AB3 was the app giving me trouble.> @rs2000 said:

I don't know if it is related but AUM always seems to eat more CPU on my device than other hosts. Nanostudio 2 is quite the opposite but that's only a very subjective experience.

I've found AUM to be super stable on all devices I've tried it on. But who knows? We all have unique setups, I guess.

The app that was causing problems for me was AB3.

Which settings did you use?
    For all compared Apps the same?

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    OK, Well AB3 was the app giving me trouble.> @rs2000 said:

I can confirm that it's super stable but it eats more CPU than other hosts for some reason.
    It will also drain the battery faster than apeMatrix, Nanostudio or BM3.

• @Vaultnaemsae p
    Numbers please.
    And please include the buffer settings and which AUv3 you've used.