Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit D1 + AUM very hit & miss

I am finding it very hard to do anything useful with D1 as it almost always fails to load in a saved AUM session. Same with FM Player 2, so I guess it is something in AK’s core code. Anyone have a different experience?

Comments

• nope. d1 and fm player au3 for me quite unstable, too.

• I agree 100%

• Nope, same here...

• Everything Audiokit is unstable here, even the new limited special turbo edition thing.

• Bummer, I love some of the presets.

• edited March 2020

@MarkH said:
    I am finding it very hard to do anything useful with D1 as it almost always fails to load in a saved AUM session. Same with FM Player 2, so I guess it is something in AK’s core code. Anyone have a different experience?

Same here. FM AU will not load in AUM—instant crash every time I try to load. FM stand-alone also crashes upon load in AUM. DM-1 AU will load, sometimes but also crashes. If DM successfully loads and is saved within an AUM project, it stalls/crashes when loaded anew more than half the time.

As good as these two synths sound, I’ve moved on.

• I'm not a coder and only @analog_matt can really answer but from the sound design times, I remember that all samples of a patch are loaded into memory uncompressed.
    Some patches are large enough to maybe cause memory issues, leading to crashes.

Just a wild guess.

• I'm in love with d1 and fm2 sound, but they're cpu hog, slow and unstable, so I rarely use both. And it's sad, because I'm pretty covered with FM synths, but didn't found something lush and vibey as D1

• @lazyass said:
    I'm in love with d1 and fm2 sound, but they're cpu hog, slow and unstable, so I rarely use both. And it's sad, because I'm pretty covered with FM synths, but didn't found something lush and vibey as D1

Good to hear 😃
    I've just tried to load four instances of D1 in AUM, each instance using the larger PCM samples instead of the smaller synth waveforms (iPad 6 from 2018, iOS 12.3.1) and on my first try, the forth instance crashed AUM but when launching again, all 4 instances loaded and played properly.
    Another case of iOS memory management being too slow to free up memory required by applications?
    Seems so. D1 needs quite a chunk of memory.

• I tried around a bit today with all three AudioKit AUs in AUM - on my iPad Pro 10.5 on IOS 13.2.3 i didn‘t experience crashes or problems with session reloads. But they are quite CPU demanding when running several instances.

• I agree. D1 & FM2 AUv3 is very fragile.

We started from scratch w/ AU on the new Bass 808. The code is MUCH more stable.
    D1 & FM2 are massive code bases. So, it will take awhile to re-write them. But, we plan on fixing them w/ the new AU code developed.

It is heart breaking to see D1 crash. But, the good news is that hope is on the horizon.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

• I never put more than one in any song. I hesitate when mounting them. I fear they won’t be present and reloaded when I reopen the project.

Many thanks on looking into these issues @analog_matt

• Wow, what IPad is everyone using ? I thought it was just me and because I’m on an Air 2, I love the way they both sound but honestly I don’t think I’ve really completed a song with them and can’t remember the last time I open them as audio units because they never really were dependable as audio units for me, I figured when I get an IPad Pro they’d work great...so is that not the case???

• @Strizbiz said:
    I figured when I get an IPad Pro they’d work great...so is that not the case???

No. I am using a Pro 2017 12.9” and it doesn’t work reliably, whether AU or IAA.

• edited March 2020

I recall both apps being usable > @Strizbiz said:

Wow, what IPad is everyone using ?

iPad Pro 3rd gen

• I tried to put d1 auv3 on my project and it crashed, sometimes it didn’t load, sometimes it didn’t play. I had to remove it. I bought 808 but it’s a proof of faith.

• @analog_matt said:
    I agree. D1 & FM2 AUv3 is very fragile.

We started from scratch w/ AU on the new Bass 808. The code is MUCH more stable.
    D1 & FM2 are massive code bases. So, it will take awhile to re-write them. But, we plan on fixing them w/ the new AU code developed.

It is heart breaking to see D1 crash. But, the good news is that hope is on the horizon.

I know you guys are quite busy with the new apps, but was wondering if there was any ETA on this?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

I know you guys are quite busy with the new apps, but was wondering if there was any ETA on this?

It's hard to say. But, it is on my mind every day. I think it would have been finished already if it weren't for the Covid. Thanks for your patience

• Hi Guys

I get the occasional crash buts its useable (Just). My biggest problem is the lag to load preset. It sort of comes over in parts until it is full enough to play properly.

What are using instead of D1 -FM ?

• Hi everybody,

Here also, it's not picking up my sustain pedal, it crashes, even on the latest Ipad Pro 2020.
    It's a pity, I like the sounds very much.
    For the DX sounds I use FM-Tines, that will do the job.

• Anybody else find D1 crashy? I love the PCM sounds, but can’t rely on it.

• Constant crashes in Cubasis.Annoying.

• Same here guys- can't rely on it in AUM for live gigs as it often fails to load correctly. Cubasis similar but not as frequent a failure.

• @analog_matt said:
    I agree. D1 & FM2 AUv3 is very fragile.

Looking forward to the rewrites. Thanks, Matt!

• That comment was written back in 2020. I loved D1 but too crashy to use for anything other than standalone playing. I still have it though, perhaps still looking hopefully to the horizon all these years later.

• Are the crashes coming from using 1 instance or more? I don’t often have issues with it, but it’s also not one of my most used synths, though I do love it. It was stable last I used it in Zenbeats. But that was for one project/jam that was only less than an hour.

• I’ve been having these same issues with D1 and FM2. I’m running AUM on a M1 IPad Pro. Looks like I gotta move on. Too bad as they’re great sounding.

• @ron_montreal said:
    I’ve been having these same issues with D1 and FM2. I’m running AUM on a M1 IPad Pro. Looks like I gotta move on. Too bad as they’re great sounding.

D1 and FM2 have been replaced by updated apps King of FM and King of Digital.