Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looper clicks

Hi!

I’ve been working a lot with loopers on my iPad lately. I love this workflow. To be able to freeze tracks that are resourceheavy in AUM.

Although I have one major issue with this workflow and it is the clicks that often occur at the end of a loop.

I’ve tried these loopers:
Blocks Wave
Enso Looper
AudioKit L7

I get the clicks with all of the loopers. It feels a bit random. Sometimes they loops just fine and another time I can’t get it right no matter how many times I re-record it.

So I wonder if you have any tips on how to get around this?

Comments

• I'd like to know this too. Maybe loopers should have kind of the crossfade function, I don't know but this happens to me too.

• You need to add a very short fade at the beginning and end of the loop. Some loopers do this automatically.

• @mistercharlie said:
    You need to add a very short fade at the beginning and end of the loop. Some loopers do this automatically.

Yeah I thought about something like that! Do you know any looper that does this? Loopy HD maybe?

• BenBen
    edited March 2020

Or if the looper has an onboard noise gate turn it off and see if that changes anything.
    Cured my Loopy clicks.
    Also try “playing through” the end of the loop rather than stopping and be playing when the loop starts recording. Hope that makes sense.
    Not doing that can sometimes create gaps that will sound like clicks.

• Try Quantiloop.

There's a,'try before you buy',version
    which lasts for a week or thereabouts.

• Hi,
    In Aum, (it happens in other hosts too, but Aum’s the 1 I use the most) I’ve noticed that loops I’ve recorded have the start cut off, ie they are not recording the very beginning of the loop, which can cause clicks.

So 1 solution would be to record double the loop length & cut out the 1st half; eg for an 8bar loop, u’d record 16bars of it, then cut out the 1st 8bars. Personally, this ruins the flow of using loopers, but it may be helpful

Thanks for reading, wishing you all the best! 😺🐬🚀

• With Enso, some have talked about first recording silence for the desired loop duration, then record in overdub mode to avoid the click. Perhaps also fade in the feedback level when overdub starts? Or maybe that only makes sense if you record straight with no silence ... I haven't tried.

• Audioshare has a ‘fade in’ and ‘fade out’ editing feature- it also has a ‘nudge’ feature for moving back and forward slightly.

Try using the ‘slide function’ in Blocs Wave’ to move your samples back and forward slightly before exporting.

• The cardinal rule of looping sustaining sounds is to not do a hard end of recording at the end time of your loop. Instead end a loop by going into overdub mode and let the last note ring through to the beginning of the loop.

Also, you obviously have to get the first note right. If you're coming in too early your first sound could click because you're not getting the natural transient, but cutting into the sound.

• @Timespare said:

@mistercharlie said:
    You need to add a very short fade at the beginning and end of the loop. Some loopers do this automatically.

Yeah I thought about something like that! Do you know any looper that does this? Loopy HD maybe?

GTL does it AFAIR and also has visual indicator for the count in so you can play before the punch in engages and do what others users have pointed. Also noise gate is available on the input chain...

@Ben said:
    Or if the looper has an onboard noise gate turn it off and see if that changes anything.
    Cured my Loopy clicks.
    Also try “playing through” the end of the loop rather than stopping and be playing when the loop starts recording. Hope that makes sense.
    Not doing that can sometimes create gaps that will sound like clicks.

This.

@aplourde said:
    The cardinal rule of looping sustaining sounds is to not do a hard end of recording at the end time of your loop. Instead end a loop by going into overdub mode and let the last note ring through to the beginning of the loop.

Also, you obviously have to get the first note right. If you're coming in too early your first sound could click because you're not getting the natural transient, but cutting into the sound.

And this.

• @Timespare said:
    Hi!

I’ve been working a lot with loopers on my iPad lately. I love this workflow. To be able to freeze tracks that are resourceheavy in AUM.

Although I have one major issue with this workflow and it is the clicks that often occur at the end of a loop.

I’ve tried these loopers:
    Blocks Wave
    Enso Looper
    AudioKit L7

I get the clicks with all of the loopers. It feels a bit random. Sometimes they loops just fine and another time I can’t get it right no matter how many times I re-record it.

So I wonder if you have any tips on how to get around this?

Loopy crossfades loop beginning/end slightly so it tends to be click-resistant.

(@Michael can you confirm?O

• Yes, loopy has auto fade in and out.

• I’ve made dozens of Loopy HD jams in the privacy of my sofa and pajamas. I can confirm none of them have any sort of clicky problems. Smooth as could be. 👍🏼👍🏼

• Thanks for all the tips! I'll try them out! :smile:

• edited March 2020

@aplourde said:
    The cardinal rule of looping sustaining sounds is to not do a hard end of recording at the end time of your loop. Instead end a loop by going into overdub mode and let the last note ring through to the beginning of the loop.

Where can I go to find all the cardinal rules of looping so that I don't commit a cardinal sin?

(I'm serious. Gonna make a video regarding looping so I’d love to learn a bit more.)

• @Samflash3 said:

@aplourde said:

Where can I go to find all the cardinal rules of looping so that I don't commit a cardinal sin?

(I'm serious.)

Sounds like a good page to add to the wiki :)

• AudioShares trim feature is really useful for loops. I take all my loops and use the trim and it adds a 3 ms fade in and fade out automatically and that usually gets rid of clicks once it loops over

• @Samflash3 said:

@aplourde said:

(I'm serious. Gonna make a video regarding looping so I’d love to learn a bit more.)

It's been a long time since I started playing around with loopers (and, to be clear, I'm not an expert). I'm sure there are tons of great resources available that I have no idea about, but back in the day Looper's Delight was the place for looping info. It hasn't been updated with newer tools and the focus is on older, but still unparalleled hardware (e.g. the Echoplex Digital Pro), but the concepts are the same as with newer tools.