Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM2 IAA circus.

Today I finally decided to take bm2 for an IAA spin. I plug in imini and try to control it from a blank midi patch on a sequencer, nothing. I plug isem and try the same as with imini but this time assign the respective midi channel. Press play nothing, after a while it starts playing but then closes. This happened a couple of times. Tabletops iaa experience was quality, I don't quite understand why it isn't JUST working. Anybody with a similar story?

Comments

• Yep, IAA in Beatmaker 2 hasn't been a very great experience for me. Very similar issues to what you're talking about (the Arturia stuff, PPG, etc)

Actually, a bit OT, isem is one of the most bug-laden apps I've tried. Loads very slowly, and crashes almost every time.

• I know the iMini thing actually has some issues as far as midi, but I agree. I've tried it with Alchemy and it screws me over everytime. It worked great with Nave though. It's still pretty primitive and will hopefully only get better.

Who knows.

• Such a pity. Just tried it again and it actually synced the tempo of the arp for a minute which was lush but then, crash! I don't have nlog on my ipad because don't like it that much but sunrizer doesn't even show on the list. I'll give magellan a go but with super low expectations.

All this is a bit strange coz while Intua isn't greatest at customer support/feedback at least bm2 has performed real well for me midi wise but this just feels like they haven't even tested it. Good thing there's audiobus.

• I was just going to suggest trying with Magellan. It runs well in the background with MIDI... so it might work with IAA

• edited March 2014

Just tried isem via audiobus with the same configuration and it crashed too but didn't with sunrizer so maybe it isn't bm2's fault after all.

• @Hmtx said:

I was just going to suggest trying with Magellan. It runs well in the background with MIDI... so it might work with IAA

Yeah I know, with midi I had the whole bunch slaved to bm2, I was so chuffed I even made a video

• @CalCutta said:

Actually, a bit OT, isem is one of the most bug-laden apps I've tried. Loads very slowly, and crashes almost every time.

Huh. I use it all the time and never have a problem with it. It does take a while to load, but I don't consider an extra few seconds an issue. I've never had it actually crash though. Ipad2, iOS 7.0.4

• @Zymos said:

@CalCutta said:

Huh. I use it all the time and never have a problem with it. It does take a while to load, but I don't consider an extra few seconds an issue. I've never had it actually crash though. Ipad2, iOS 7.0.4

Via a straight midi connection it has also been stable for me but with IAA it just doesn't work in my experience. With audiobus a little better though...until tonight.

• edited March 2014

Haven't had IAA issues with BM2, except with iMini and z3ta, both of which have been issues with all my IAA hosts. ISEM is fine in BM2 unless I push the polyphony too far. Also no issues with alchemy once background audio and "any source" settings were selected. I'm pleased that BM2, since it's update, works with CMP Grande, which had been iffy with most hosts. This is on iPad 4, in a workflow that lays down one IAA track at a time...

• @Littlewoodg said:

Haven't had IAA issues with BM2, except with iMini, which has been an issue with all my IAA hosts. ISEM is fine in BM2 unless I push the polyphony too far. Also no issues with alchemy once background audio and "any source" settings were selected. I'm pleased that BM2, since it's update, works with CMP Grande, which had been iffy with most hosts.
    iPad 4, and a workflow that lays down one IAA track at a time...

This possibly confirms that 64bit version of isem is fooked.

• edited March 2014

Forgive me for asking a stupid question;
    How do you freeze a IAA track in BM2?

If I have a midi track in BM2 triggering a IAA synth, how do I turn that track into a audio track? BM2 in Audiobus, Audioshare in the output and then record it in Audioshare and copy/paste it back in to BM2...that's how I did it. But there must a easier way isn't it? I can't find nothing in the manual either.

• One way would be to create an audio track with that synth as an input and record it in real time. I'm not aware of a quicker way

• edited March 2014

I think this gives a basic explanation of doing the process all within BM2 and Audiobus, without all the copy/paste rigamarole.

edit: yep, what supadom said

• Awesome, thanks supadom and Hmtx, that's a lot faster then how I did it!

• edited March 2014

Just downgraded to Isem version 1.0 (fortunately had it backed up to iTunes) and it is working with bm2 again without crashing! lol

• edited March 2014

no worries, Greg. I've just recently purchased BM2 and have a lot to learn myself. No need to be ashamed of stupid questions. unless they really are. but your's wasn't.

dom, sad to hear the issue with iSem is 64bit related. Also, I loved the multi-synth youtube you posted! animoog, magellan, sunrizer, iSem???? gah! I have a sudden desire to upgrade my iPad 2 immediately

• There is a specific problem between BM2 and iMini with MIDI that makes them not play together directly. You want to make the connection in one of the following ways, but none of them seem to work:

1: in BM2, select iMini as detination
    2: in iMini, select BM2 as source
    3: use MidiBridge

The reason is simple but frustrating: all the above require either iMini's VirtualMIDI In port to work, or BM2's VrtualMIDI Out port to work. Neither of them do. FreEWI seems to be a solution for this. Select it as source in iMini AND destination in BM2.

• Good news for me, I deleted/reinstalled iSEM and it's seemed to work well since.

• @Hmtx said:

no worries, Greg. I've just recently purchased BM2 and have a lot to learn myself. No need to be ashamed of stupid questions. unless they really are. but your's wasn't.

dom, sad to hear the issue with iSem is 64bit related. Also, I loved the multi-synth youtube you posted! animoog, magellan, sunrizer, iSem???? gah! I have a sudden desire to upgrade my iPad 2 immediately

Makes no huge difference to me whether it is 64bit or whatever as long as it works and now it is working fine. I think there you have every reason to upgrade. I am a buy and sell kind of guy, always have been, trying new hardware out and selling it on after a bit so I don't get attached to it much anymore. In fact I'm more attached to software these days, I'd be pretty pissed off if my bm2, loopy or impaktor stopped working. iPads look almost the same anyway. I wouldn't be so upgrade crazy but it isn't such a big deal especially if you can find a good used deal from a reputable seller. Also your eyes will thank you for upgrading to retina. The screen difference is not huge but it is there, especially when viewing text. I had a slight shock when I started using air because it feels so flimsy compared to gen 4 but I just bought one of those knock off military rubber padded cases and a good screen protector and it doesn't feel so flimsy anymore.

• By the way if anyone has probs with latest version of isem and doesn't have the version 1.0 I'm happy to Dropbox it to you. This only applies to ipad air users who backup too often of course lol