Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria vs Cubasis 3

2»

Comments

• edited March 2020

@cian said:
    Remember why I never bought MTS. It doesn't have a track arrange view like every DAW under the sun. Well that and the cost. $50 is a lot to spend on something that might not work the way you want it to.

Shame - it looks very powerful in most regards, but really unable to work track by track. Unless there's some clever work around I'm missing.

You may have seen these already?

Two kinds of track arrange view: multi midi in which all tracks midi presented in overlay, editable in this view track by track

The other is song view which shows you all tracks (including midi tracks) as waveform info...

The song view allows cuts, moves etc across all tracks (the dev Bremmers approach for his DAW is based on a multitrack tape editing paradigm, hence the way the GUI works...)

The midi overlay of all tracks is something Ive not seen as a track arrange view anywhere else on iOS. It also lets you choose which tracks you want to see in overlay, all or just the drums etc...

• @wim said:

@u0421793 said:

@wim said:

@u0421793 said:
    Incidentally, how would one lash together an assemblage of apps using Audiobus to essentially emulate (or even exceed) the capabilities and usability of Cubasis or Auria?

I’d personally have no idea, I’ve not really ventured into the world of using more than one app at the same time (because I did everything in Gadget, then exported full separate audio tracks into Auria).

There are many ways ... none completely satisfactory. The best I've found for my uses is using Xequence 2 for sequencing, Audiobus and AUM for hosting. But, there is a huge gaping hole: The ability to easily freeze/unfreeze tracks when CPU gets overloaded, and the ability to arrange audio clips along a timeline and have them play back in sync with the rest of the timeline.

By the time I work all that out, I realize how much easier it is in a DAW. Still, I like the flexibility and the non-intimidation of starting out with just a "jam" and building from there vs. starting out with a "project" ... if that makes any sense.

It does – the stages of commitment, starting with low-overhead noodling, and then sometimes before you know it you want to formalise what you’ve got and have a system.

If there were a sort of ‘best practice’ intro or quick-start to the above mentioned Xequence 2 / Audiobus / AUM and whatever else is needed for nearly everyone, it’d be great (wasn’t there one some while ago, by someone?).

There are more than a few threads that touch on this, but no comprehensive "cookbook". The discussions and questions of various workflows get unfocused. Even semantics such as "DAW-less Workflow" have become contentious.

A focused "Alternative to DAW Cookbooks" thread might be a neat idea.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38001/the-dawless-flow-a-guide#latest

• Does Auria really not access anything other than its own folder and dropbox?

• @Ailerom said:
    Does Auria really not access anything other than its own folder and dropbox?

You can drag drop from files app in slide over mode directly onto your tracks.