Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Unable to open Cubasis 2 project in Cubasis 3

So I just bought CB3 in the sale. Love the new UI, especially the tablet XL view.
However, I’ve had no luck opening CB2 projects.
I’ve done what was suggested previously (select project in CB2, go to share, more, then copy to CB3) but when I switch to CB3 and open it up nothing happens.
If I close down CB3 then re-open the project is there but it’s file size has gone from around 200mb to 200kb.
Any ideas?

Comments

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

Hi @TimRussell,

If possible, please share the Cubasis 2 project via Cubasis 2 with us (upload via Dropbox, download link via PM), so we can have a look at it. Did you check the project to open and play fine in Cubasis 2?

Thanks
    Lars

• @TimRussell said:
    So I just bought CB3 in the sale. Love the new UI, especially the tablet XL view.
    I’ve done what was suggested previously (select project in CB2, go to share, more, then copy to CB3) but when I switch to CB3 and open it up nothing happens.
    If I close down CB3 then re-open the project is there but it’s file size has gone from around 200mb to 200kb.
    Any ideas?

Hi Lars,

after selecting a C2 project I go to share, select more ...
    But C3 is not in the list to select as target. What to do?

• @Iskander said:

@TimRussell said:
    Any ideas?

Hi Lars,

My workaround:

• select project in C2
    • select ‚Share‘
    • select ‚More‘
    • select AudioShare as target
    • zipped project is imported in AudioShare
    • start C3
    • select ‚Media‘
    • select ‚Import‘
    • select ‚AudioShare‘
    • select zipped project file in AudioShare
    • select ‚Import into App‘
    • project is imported in C3

It‘a long way...

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

Hi @TimRussell, Hi @Iskander,

These are the steps:

• Go to Media/Projects and select a project
    • Tap "Share" button and "More"
    • In the next pop-up choose "More" again
    • Tap "Copy to Cubasis 3"

Should work easy and quick!

Best,
    Lars

• Sorry Lars, C3 is NOT SHOWN IN THE LIST.

• @Iskander said:
    Sorry Lars, C3 is NOT SHOWN IN THE LIST.

Hi @lskander,

The list comes from iOS, unfortunately there is nothing we can do.

But haven‘t seen any case, where Cubasis 3 does not appear.

Are you on the latest available iOS?

Best,
    Lars

• @Iskander said:
    Sorry Lars, C3 is NOT SHOWN IN THE LIST.

In the sharing dialog, have you checked the last "More..." icon and made sure C3 is enabled?

• Have a look here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37571/audioshare-beta-testers-wanted/p5

It was the same with AudioShare. Jonatan has found out a workaround - it works now.

By the way:
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOs 13.4

In the sharing dialog, I checked the last "More..." icon. C3 is definitely NOT in the list. It was the same with AudioShare. This is solved by Jonatan!

• @Iskander said:
    Have a look here:

It was the same with AudioShare. Jonatan has found out a workaround - it works now.

By the way:
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOs 13.4

In the sharing dialog, I checked the last "More..." icon. C3 is definitely NOT in the list. It was the same with AudioShare. This is solved by Jonatan!

Hi @Iskander,

Unfortunately we're unable to reproduce it:
    https://we.tl/t-f3LMb1KgsC

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@Iskander said:
    Have a look here:

By the way:
    iPad 10.5“
    iPadOs 13.4

Hi @Iskander,

Unfortunately we're unable to reproduce it:
    https://we.tl/t-f3LMb1KgsC

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

I did a screenrecording. Where can I send to?

I‘ve had the same problem with AudioShare.
    Jonatan Liljedahl (Kymatica AB) did a workaround, which works fine now.
    He suspects:
    Note that this is a workaround, probably some other app on your system has messed up the registry for "public.audio", which is the main common type for any audio file.

• Wow.....just wow. All I will say about this thread.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

Thanks @RUST( i )K , that was super-helpful. ;)

Just to be clear, this appears not to be a Cubasis specific problem, nor even a general iOS problem, but rather a problem affecting certain people’s devices.

There is a mechanism in iOS for associating file types with relevant apps. On some devices the registry entry that tracks these associations apparently can become corrupted. The normal way to associate an app with audio files is with a general “audio files” identifier.

When someone’s registry has become corrupted, then they can only see some of the apps that are associated with the general audio file type. This explains why it’s not reproducible on Steinberg’s end ... because they don’t have a device with a corrupted registry. Most people don’t.

The workaround, found only a few days ago, and only incorporated into the AUM beta so far, is to add associations for every specific audio file type.

Whether or not that workaround would work for Cubasis, whether that’s actually the cause in this specific instance, and whether its appropriate to be added to Cubasis to make up for corruption in only certain devices, is up to the developer to decide.

• @wim said:
    Thanks @RUST( i )K , that was super-helpful. ;)

Just to be clear, this appears not to be a Cubasis specific problem, nor even a general iOS problem, but rather a problem affecting certain people’s devices.

There is a mechanism in iOS for associating file types with relevant apps. On some devices the registry entry that tracks these associations apparently can become corrupted. The normal way to associate an app with audio files is with a general “audio files” identifier.

When someone’s registry has become corrupted, then they can only see some of the apps that are associated with the general audio file type. This explains why it’s not reproducible on Steinberg’s end ... because they don’t have a device with a corrupted registry.

The workaround, found only a few days ago, and only incorporated into the AUM beta so far, is to add associations for every specific audio file type.

Whether or not that workaround would work for Cubasis, whether that’s actually the cause in this specific instance, and whether its appropriate to be added to Cubasis to make up for corruption in an individual device, is up to the developer to decide.

@LFS : it might be worth checking in with Jonatan Liljedahl (AUM author) as he has found that he was to workaround some iOS 13 issue that sometimes results in the file-type associations that are catch-alls to be broken. He has had to put in specific audio file types because on some people's devices the all audio files association wasn't working. Possibly some as-yet-unknown app is accidentally high-jacking things.

• Hi @wim,

Great, thanks for your comment and explanation.
    Will share the thread with our engineers, so they can have a look.

We will not be able to address this in 3.0.2 which is planned to be released next Monday.
    So it might be a topic for the one after.

@RUST( i )K
    Why?

Thanks again,
    Lars

• @espiegel123 said:
    @LFS : it might be worth checking in with Jonatan Liljedahl (AUM author) as he has found that he was to workaround some iOS 13 issue that sometimes results in the file-type associations that are catch-alls to be broken. He has had to put in specific audio file types because on some people's devices the all audio files association wasn't working. Possibly some as-yet-unknown app is accidentally high-jacking things.

Thank you for the tip @espiegel123!
    Shared the thread with our engineering, and will get in touch with Lijedahl if required!

Thanks again,
    Lars

• Hi all,

Our engineering exchanged with Jonatan (thanks again, Jonatan!) and will have included a possible fix in the next Cubasis update.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:
    Hi all,

Our engineering exchanged with Jonatan (thanks again, Jonatan!) and will have included a possible fix in the next Cubasis update.

Best,
    Lars

Good news. Many thanks, Lars!

• @Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

@TimRussell said:
    Any ideas?

Hi Lars,

My workaround:

• select project in C2
    • select ‚Share‘
    • select ‚More‘
    • start C3
    • select ‚Media‘
    • select ‚Import‘
    • select ‚AudioShare‘

It‘a long way...

I have tried to import a 215 MB song this way and C3 crashed.
    But I can import a 36 MB song without problems.

Is there a sizelimit for the C3 import function?

• LFSLFS
    edited April 2020

@Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

@TimRussell said:
    Any ideas?

Hi Lars,

My workaround:

• select project in C2
    • select ‚Share‘
    • select ‚More‘
    • start C3
    • select ‚Media‘
    • select ‚Import‘
    • select ‚AudioShare‘

It‘a long way...

I have tried to import a 215 MB song this way and C3 crashed.
    But I can import a 36 MB song without problems.

Is there a sizelimit for the C3 import function?

Hi @Iskander,

There is no size limit for importing Cubasis 2 projects.
    Would you be able to share the project via Cubasis 2 with me, so we can give it a check (e.g. Dropbox link via PM)?

Thanks,
    Lars

• @LFS Is there even a remote chance that latency compensation will be added to Cubasis 3?

I ask this because when doing 'mix down between locators' using the Waves L1 Ultra Maximizer there is always some empty space in the beginning of the mixed down file / frozen section caused by the latency of the L1 Ultra Maximizer...

The latency compensation would also become handy for the FabFilter plug-ins especially when using their oversampling and look-ahead features...

• The single file export from Cubasis 2 to 3 is really .... not 2020. And when I imported some of my songs to Cubasis 3 on my new iPad it said something like „MIGHT SOUND DIFFERENT because one effect is missing“. Why doesn‘t it tell me WHICH effect was missing or tell me which lane it was on si I can re-check / re-think? Really not professional.