Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 is on sale

Comments

• Hi @LFS , many of these problems were already reported in the first round of C3 release (midi output not recording to timeline etc). If you think it‘s useful I could make a new thread collecting all the midi auv3 things that are no longer / not yet working in Cubasis 3. There are many people on this forum who love Cubasis and a lot of us use midi auv3‘s so it would be nice to see this functionality restored.

Thanks! Nick

edit: „nice“ is an understatement. For me it is essential functionality.

Hi @nick,

Thank you for your message.

Thanks to detailed reports, we have been able to reproduce and resolve many user-reported issues in 3.0.1.

By providing us with step descriptions, we‘re able to reproduce issues, exchange with 3rd parties etc.

And, hopefully it us possible to see the problem addressed lastly.

P.S.
    Are you talking about dedicated MIDI AU plug-in issues here? If so, we‘ve addressed several things in the previous 3.0.1 update. Plus, there are several options available via buttons in the effect rack, which determine how AUv3 MIDI effects can be recorded in Cubasis etc. (-> midi output recordings!)). Just to make sure: Do you know about this? If not, please have a short look in the in-app help or let me know if further infos are required!

Best,
    Lars

• edited March 2020

@LFS said:

Hi @LFS , many of these problems were already reported in the first round of C3 release (midi output not recording to timeline etc). If you think it‘s useful I could make a new thread collecting all the midi auv3 things that are no longer / not yet working in Cubasis 3. There are many people on this forum who love Cubasis and a lot of us use midi auv3‘s so it would be nice to see this functionality restored.

Thanks! Nick

edit: „nice“ is an understatement. For me it is essential functionality.

Hi @nick,

Thank you for your message.

Thanks to detailed reports, we have been able to reproduce and resolve many user-reported issues in 3.0.1.

By providing us with step descriptions, we‘re able to reproduce issues, exchange with 3rd parties etc.

And, hopefully it us possible to see the problem addressed lastly.

P.S.
    Are you talking about dedicated MIDI AU plug-in issues here? If so, we‘ve addressed several things in the previous 3.0.1 update. Plus, there are several options available via buttons in the effect rack, which determine how AUv3 MIDI effects can be recorded in Cubasis etc. (-> midi output recordings!)). Just to make sure: Do you know about this? If not, please have a short look in the in-app help or let me know if further infos are required!

Best,
    Lars

Thanks for the quick reply. Has the behaviour of MIDI au plugins substantially changed from Cubasis 2? If so, please give some infos on how MIDI plugins are now working.
    Thanks! (most of what‘s not working as expected is when having more than one MIDI plugin on a track — I’m getting a lot of silence in these cases)

• Thanks for the quick reply. Has the behaviour of MIDI au plugins substantially changed from Cubasis 2? If so, please give some infos on how MIDI plugins are now working.
    Thanks!

Should be the same!
    And, more important: we‘re not aware of issues here

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Has the behaviour of MIDI au plugins substantially changed from Cubasis 2? If so, please give some infos on how MIDI plugins are now working.
    Thanks!

Should be the same!

Best,
    Lars

OK good to know. I‘ll make a separate thread with a few examples. Have you tried using more than one MIDI plugin on a track? It seems most problems are associated with situations where more than one plugin is involved. This often results in sound being muted, for example.

• @Samflash3 the Waves plugins give you the L1 Ultra maximiser (which is their limiter) a channel strip and an EQ. I don’t use the EQ much, the channel strip occasionally and I find that I use the L1 a bit more especially for getting a bit more level out of tracks and to tame serious transients. It has some good dithering options so potentially a nice master insert. They are good quality as you would expect from the Waves brand. You can’t use them outside of Cubasis obviously, so if you have AU plug ins that you feel do the job you might not miss them much, but for extra options inside Cubasis they do come in handy. Feel free to ask me more if you need to know more detail about them as this was a very brief summary.

• @tja said:
    @LFS I noticed, that Cubasis 3 still does not offer to save / export / mixdown as 32 bit floating point format, as all / most other DAWs offer (AUM, nanostudio 2, BeatMaker 3, Auria Pro,...)

Is there any chance that this will be changed?

If I work on some audio between Apps, I try to truncate to lower bitrates of 24 or 16 bits only as last step, together with dithering.

But until that moment, I prefer to stay at 32 bit floating point to prevent truncating noise at all.

Any chance in the roadmap, @LFS ?

• @arktek said:
    @Samflash3 the Waves plugins give you the L1 Ultra maximiser (which is their limiter) a channel strip and an EQ. I don’t use the EQ much, the channel strip occasionally and I find that I use the L1 a bit more especially for getting a bit more level out of tracks and to tame serious transients. It has some good dithering options so potentially a nice master insert. They are good quality as you would expect from the Waves brand. You can’t use them outside of Cubasis obviously, so if you have AU plug ins that you feel do the job you might not miss them much, but for extra options inside Cubasis they do come in handy. Feel free to ask me more if you need to know more detail about them as this was a very brief summary.

Yeah, I caved and got them all. Liked the flexibility of the user interface.

• edited March 2020

@richardyot said:

@GavrielProductions said:
    im still trying to figure out how to utilise simple channel (stereo out) with a send to a BUS with multiple fx, you can't, your channels in AP have to have their outputs assigned to an aux-like group, all channels have up to 6 aux sends (you flip in twos on the master volume channel to browse) once you have that channel output to an aux you use fx on this channel but its not a real send, then you actually can use the aux sends on the aux-group channel, but when you go to add aux your limited to one single fx insert! that is pathetic!

I don’t think you’ve got that right, you can have 4 effects on any AUX send in Auria, but this isn’t the right thread to discuss this. Start another thread and I would be happy to help.

that is correct, I see up to 6 sends and 4 fx inserts on the aux, maybe I worded it wrong.
    I don't see why this is an in appropriate topic to compare Cubasis 3 and other iOS DAWS.

• Shout out to @Lars for being active on the forum and on social media. It's great that Cubasis is a big company, but investing time in the forums and on the app store is a blessing. Thanks.

• godgod
    edited March 2020

I really don't understand why automations are applied to the tracks and not following events/patterns. It is so ridiculous. :s

• @Samflash3 said:
    Shout out to @Lars for being active on the forum and on social media. It's great that Cubasis is a big company, but investing time in the forums and on the app store is a blessing. Thanks.

+1

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

It's great that Cubasis is a big company...

Hi @JohnnyGoodyear,

While Steinberg has some employees, be assured the Cubasis team is super small, but luckily packed with great skilled and enthusiastic lovely people. I am unable to speak for others. But building apps will not work and not pay off for huge teams. Other app vendors might agree, that running apps is heavy business...

Thanks!

Lars

• @LFS
    @LFS
    @LFS

Lars, can you answer this question?

If you don't know the answer, please reply with "I don't know" instead of ignoring the question.

Thanks.

@tja said:
    @LFS I noticed, that Cubasis 3 still does not offer to save / export / mixdown as 32 bit floating point format, as all / most other DAWs offer (AUM, nanostudio 2, BeatMaker 3, Auria Pro,...)

If I work on some audio between Apps, I try to truncate to lower bitrates of 24 or 16 bits only as last step, together with dithering.

But until that moment, I prefer to stay at 32 bit floating point to prevent truncating noise at all.

• godgod
    edited March 2020

Hi,

Is there a way to direct midi from one track (no instrument) into another track (instrument)?

• @tja said:
    @LFS
    @LFS
    @LFS

If you don't know the answer, please reply with "I don't know" instead of ignoring the question.

Thanks.

@tja said:

You asked on March 26 and then you claim he’s ignoring your question later in the day on March 26? I don’t think we can demand same day response from developers!

• @god said:
    Hi,

Is there a way to direct midi from one track (no instrument) into another track (instrument)?

No, not without 3rd party Midi AUv3's and even then it's not trivial to get it to work.

This is why I'd love to see more flexible audio & midi routing in Cubasis, something on par or exceeding AUM and ApeMatrix.

We don't know what @LFS and his team has planned for future updates...

• @Samu said:

@god said:
    Hi,

No, not without 3rd party Midi AUv3's and even then it's not trivial to get it to work.

This is why I'd love to see more flexible audio & midi routing in Cubasis, something on par or exceeding AUM and ApeMatrix.

We don't know what @LFS and his team has planned for future updates...

wow. such bummer.
    Thanks for the reply @Samu

• @tja said:

Hi @tja,

32-bit support will be added to the list, however I'm unable to give you any information when/if this will be changed at this moment.

Best,
    Lars

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

Many thanks for the information, @LFS

@gusgranite said:

@tja said:
    @LFS
    @LFS
    @LFS

Thanks.

@tja said:

You asked on March 26 and then you claim he’s ignoring your question later in the day on March 26? I don’t think we can demand same day response from developers!

Not sure why you think it was needed to comment on this.

Yes, i asked on 26th March.
    And Lars replied after that time to other members.

Then i re-asked the question with quoting myself.
    And Lars replied again to others, but not to me.

So finally, i tried to increase the level of attention, which was successful.

So are you happy with this now and understood what happened, @gusgranite ?

• @LFS said:

Thanks!

Should be the same!

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars @LFS ,

I made an extra post with some description of the problem I and others are experiencing relative to midi auv3s. Please take a look.

Thanks!
    Nick

• Tried to put an sample on the timeline. No drag and drop :(. You have to put it in a folder inside Cubasis first, and from there on the timeline. A bit tedious and a workflow killer. It could end up with a lot of samples that you never use and be forgotten.
    Still no sidechain, or will it be released in the upcoming update?

• edited March 2020

@FPC said:

@LFS said:

@FPC said:
    Just bought C3 and tried this. 1st attempt was just horrible, glitchy meltdown followed by a freeze and crash.
    Booted up C3 again and the project (AU heavy) played just fine. And fine on subsequent attempts. Wierd but not a biggy.

Hi @FPC,

Glad to read that Cubasis 3 works as expected once booting up again.

Did you do something special before, which could lead to the freeze/crash?
    Or did this happen after importing a Cubasis 2 project?

Best wishes,
    Lars

No it was just my first go at importing a C2 project into C3 literally only a few minutes after buying C3.

The first play resulted in a really horrible loud noise with all controls frozen. Really strangely it carried on for some time after swiping away the app. All fine when a booted up C3 again.

As I said it was an AU heavy track but I'm not overly concerned as it's all good now 😄

Cheers and good luck with future updates.

Hey guys. Bought C3 and had no trouble using the C2 IAPs, however I am importing one by one select projects from 2 to 3. Seems to work OK BUT (and it's a big one :)) It seems as though the import does not bring in any wav files/audio loops etc, just placeholders and then one has to go off and re-find the loops/re-import etc. HOWEVER...

I am an idiot and could easily be making an elementary error. Anyone got any clues? I've got a couple of hundred projects overall and the idea of having to find every wave for every track for every tune makes me a little nervous (and tired...)....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@FPC said:

@LFS said:

@FPC said:
    Just bought C3 and tried this. 1st attempt was just horrible, glitchy meltdown followed by a freeze and crash.
    Booted up C3 again and the project (AU heavy) played just fine. And fine on subsequent attempts. Wierd but not a biggy.

Hi @FPC,

Best wishes,
    Lars

No it was just my first go at importing a C2 project into C3 literally only a few minutes after buying C3.

The first play resulted in a really horrible loud noise with all controls frozen. Really strangely it carried on for some time after swiping away the app. All fine when a booted up C3 again.

As I said it was an AU heavy track but I'm not overly concerned as it's all good now 😄

Hey guys. Bought C3 and had no trouble using the C2 IAPs, however I am importing one by one select projects from 2 to 3. Seems to work OK BUT (and it's a big one :)) It seems as though the import does not bring in any wav files/audio loops etc, just placeholders and then one has to go off and re-find the loops/re-import etc. HOWEVER...

I am an idiot and could easily be making an elementary error. Anyone got any clues? I've got a couple of hundred projects overall and the idea of having to find every wave for every track for every tune makes me a little nervous (and tired...)....

did you try using the Zip part of the menu then getting the zips from the ‘shared projects’ folder in Files?

• @RockySmalls said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@FPC said:

@LFS said:

@FPC said:

Hi @FPC,

Best wishes,
    Lars

did you try using the Zip part of the menu then getting the zips from the ‘shared projects’ folder in Files?

All news and new. Will go off and have a poke about. Appreciate the nudge.

• Hi all,

Hope you're well!

Please note that Cubasis 3.0.2 (Apple Pencil support + MiniSampler edit functionality + maintenance fixes) and Cubasis LE 3 have just been released:

Cubasis 3.0.2 + Cubasis LE 3 available

Stay healthy
    & best wishes,
    Lars

• @LFS said:
    Hi all,

Hope you're well!

Please note that Cubasis 3.0.2 (Apple Pencil support + MiniSampler edit functionality + maintenance fixes) and Cubasis LE 3 have just been released:

Cubasis 3.0.2 + Cubasis LE 3 available

Stay healthy
    & best wishes,
    Lars

Downloading now. Thank you!

• @god said:
    I really don't understand why automations are applied to the tracks and not following events/patterns. It is so ridiculous. :s

Hi @god,

The next Cubasis update probably adds an option to do this.

Best Lars

• @LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Best Lars

That’s great to hear!

• @LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Best Lars

Fantastic news! Thanks for this!

• @LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Best Lars

While work is being done on automation, I’m running into some issues with volume and mute automation.

Mute automation seems delayed. If I make the cut at the end of a block of MIDI, the tail finishes before mute kicks on.

With volume automation, it’s very difficult to get the specific dB value I’m trying for. My most common use case is cutting down and back up as a workaround for the mute issue. Some kind of precise slider control for the selected node(s) would be great (like the MIDI drawing movement controls). Or the ability to type in a specific value.