Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 is on sale

Comments

• @pete12000 said:

@YourJunk said:

Not entirely, no. You can work around it with other apps. The big key here is the audio track piece. Cubasis seems like the most complete DAW out there on iOS. I don’t know if we will ever get a full feature, stable DAW on iOS.

But I can take Xequence 2 and AUM to do what I can’t reliably do in Cubasis and throw that into Cubasis to do the things I can’t do in Xequence 2 and AUM.

Everything I do is AU or audio. So to me, what's the value of a crippled DAW / audio tracker that doesn't integrate with the X2/AUM/AB workflow it should be replacing?

If I have to stop creative flow and export to a DAW, then I'm moving into a real DAW like Logic (or Cubase, if I owned it).

Also, unrelated, but Steinberg's high-price beta program approach is seriously uncool. For better examples, I like what Coda did with their Audiokit looper, or the epic Beepstreet closed beta.

It integrates just fine. You can record AUM straight into Cubasis. I don’t like to personally as I find it’s useful to have the audio in a separate folder. But you can definitely integrate it all together.

But also if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. I just wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s unusable.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Also, do projects from Cubasis 2 open in 3? And , vice versa?

Hi @Samflash3,

Cubasis 2 projects can be imported with Cubasis 3.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• FPCFPC
    edited March 2020

@LFS said:

@Samflash3 said:
    Also, do projects from Cubasis 2 open in 3? And , vice versa?

Hi @Samflash3,

Cubasis 2 projects can be imported with Cubasis 3.

Best wishes,
    Lars

Just bought C3 and tried this. 1st attempt was just horrible, glitchy meltdown followed by a freeze and crash.

Booted up C3 again and the project (AU heavy) played just fine. And fine on subsequent attempts. Wierd but not a biggy.

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

@FPC said:
    Just bought C3 and tried this. 1st attempt was just horrible, glitchy meltdown followed by a freeze and crash.
    Booted up C3 again and the project (AU heavy) played just fine. And fine on subsequent attempts. Wierd but not a biggy.

Hi @FPC,

Glad to read that Cubasis 3 works as expected once booting up again.

Did you do something special before, which could lead to the freeze/crash?
    Or did this happen after importing a Cubasis 2 project?

Best wishes,
    Lars

• Only 'thing' I can think of is that when exporting from Cubasis 2 -> Cubasis 3 both apps are open taking up resources...
    That could explain why it crashes on import but works after restarting the app.

• @LFS said:

@FPC said:

Hi @FPC,

Best wishes,
    Lars

No it was just my first go at importing a C2 project into C3 literally only a few minutes after buying C3.

The first play resulted in a really horrible loud noise with all controls frozen. Really strangely it carried on for some time after swiping away the app. All fine when a booted up C3 again.

As I said it was an AU heavy track but I'm not overly concerned as it's all good now 😄

Cheers and good luck with future updates.

• Can anyone tell me if AU parameters are exposed and properly named for automation drawing?

• @Philippe said:
    Can anyone tell me if AU parameters are exposed and properly named for automation drawing?

You still need to use W and tweak a parameter to add the automation lane for a parameter...

I do wish @LFS and his team would allow us browse for an AUv3 parameter, add the lane and draw the automation using lines/curves in addition to be forced to use W and tweak the knobs to add the automation lane which also disappears when the last point is removed, NO NO JUST NO!
    (I draw automation in Logic Pro X all the time and it's so nice to just pick a plug-in parameter and draw the curves).

Maybe Cubasis needs an 'advanced' or something for users who need a bit more control...

• Thank @Lars - it's still $52.99 here in AUS. I'll wait until it goes on sale again later down the line.

@LFS said:

@Thelast27 said:
    @LFS Is the sale price in Australia $52.99?

Hi @Thelast27,

In App Store Connect I see this price information Australia (AUD) $46.99.
    But being located in Germany I can't give you a guarantee here.

Best,
    Lars

• @YourJunk said:

It integrates just fine. You can record AUM straight into Cubasis. I don’t like to personally as I find it’s useful to have the audio in a separate folder. But you can definitely integrate it all together.

So how do you use it exactly... jam along in X2/AUM, record stems, and import to Cubasis for mixing, arranging, and recording other audio tracks on top?

• @LFS, CB3 seems to have a new save feature... “undo with history list”. Please explain.

• @Samflash3 said:
    I'm thinking of getting Cubasis 2. Worth?

(Never thought I'd be saying this lol)

Get 3 bro. It’s worth it in every way. The bussing alone makes it so

• At this price point I am giving this purchase some serious thought. Three quick questions:

1. How does Cubasis compare to Auria Pro? I have the latter and it is okay, my biggest complaint is that it doesn’t play well with my Akia MPK 261 as a controller. The Nanokontrol 2 works but not well. I’d rather buy a $40 DAW that I can use my Akia with than spend 5x plus for a decent controller for Auria.

2. How essential are the IAP’s for Cubasis to work well? I have a very adequate stable of effects and an okay collection of synths already.

3. How well does Cubasis play with AB3, AUM, and Xequence 2?

Thank you!

• @McD said:
    I was with a company that sold hardware and the operating system had hit it's limits based upon an limited design. Customers complained about features that competitors had. Management asks the development team why they were following behind on new features to compete?

**"To add most of these we would need to re-build the OS from scratch."

Eventually, management sees the problem and orders the re-write. It's a save the product mission: a death march project since they had a cash cow in the hardware.

When it came out it took 2 years to achieve the stability of the older OS but it did get stable and it did allow the new features and enhancements that couldn't be implemented in the old product. It did generate a movement to fork the older Berkeley code base as Open Source and that variant Unix flavor has it's devoted following but every Commercial Unix went with AT&T's license and core features.

The this guy Linux Torvold's started his Linux "clone" project without licensed code from either.

Where's the open source iPad clone? Android most likely will compete at least on cost with Apple.

There are so many examples of this pattern in the world of tech:

• Apples OS 9 to OS-X
    • Apples drooping the Motorola Chip and using Intel
    • Sun OS 1.x (Berkeley Unix) to Solaris 2.x (AT&T System V Unix)
    • Windows DOS-based to NT

Cubasis 2 to 3 was required and we're going to see stability and features to compete.
    It will take time but Steinberg is a small piece of Yamaha so they will stay the course and regain the confidence of users. It's up to you when to invest. A sale time is a good time to
    get that license recorded with Apple iTunes and transfer the IAPs.

I'm sure they need the revenue to report to upper management that they have the right team managing the transition.

@Samu's endorsement speaks volumes to me... it's time to own Cubasis 3 for me. It will only get better. Besides I buy apps for the time they consume and engage my mind. If they delight me I let people know. If not I tend to set it aside and watch for updates and revisit.

Fair and I agree. I'm in.

• @fattigman said:
    @LFS I really admire how you can keep cool when reading all sort of crazy conspiracy theories, complaints about the price and on and on.
    Some people obviously have no idea how complex it is to build software especially a DAW. As long as Steinberg keeps fixing bugs in reasonable time I’ll be happy 😊

+1 Every company wish they had a person like that to represent them. 😎👍

• @LFS > @fattigman said:

@LFS I really admire how you can keep cool when reading all sort of crazy conspiracy theories, complaints about the price and on and on.
    Some people obviously have no idea how complex it is to build software especially a DAW. As long as Steinberg keeps fixing bugs in reasonable time I’ll be happy 😊

+1 I also appreciate how personally you don't take things Lars. A lesson to us all..... :)

• @pete12000 said:

@YourJunk said:

So how do you use it exactly... jam along in X2/AUM, record stems, and import to Cubasis for mixing, arranging, and recording other audio tracks on top?

You can record directly into Cubasis from AUM, so no need to export/import. I just do because it’s my personal preference. But you don’t need to.

But yes, I use Cubasis for arrangement and mixing. I also use the internal instruments a bit, especially now with the drum machine pack being on sale. I also use it with midi for AU’s that seem to be stable. So far EG Pulse seems to be pretty stable. Shockwave isn’t too bad either. A couple of FX have been tested too and seem to be okay.

• edited March 2020

CB3 cpu meter must be opened under systems tab and is no longer on the upper left. Somewhere on the bottom, I think.

Cubasis2 is 1.1gb. CB3 is 1.2gb. Does that mean anything?

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

@YourJunk said:

@pete12000 said:

@YourJunk said:

You can record directly into Cubasis from AUM, so no need to export/import. I just do because it’s my personal preference. But you don’t need to.

But yes, I use Cubasis for arrangement and mixing. I also use the internal instruments a bit, especially now with the drum machine pack being on sale. I also use it with midi for AU’s that seem to be stable. So far EG Pulse seems to be pretty stable. Shockwave isn’t too bad either. A couple of FX have been tested too and seem to be okay.

Hi @YourJunk, Hi @pete12000,

Jakob (haQ attaQ) has been very kind to produce a tutorial which explains how to use AUM and Cubasis:

Record from AUM into Cubasis 2 & 3 | IAA Output Routing | haQ attaQ

If this information is helpful for you, it would be great to let Jakob know about it in the forum topic, and/or giving him a comment and like on YouTube!

Best,
    Lars

• Hi all,

Please find the details about the sale, and update pre-announcement right here:
    Cubasis Sale available & Update Pre-Announcement

Best wishes,
    Lars

• edited March 2020

@ugurb said:
    $33.99 in AppStore

I paid for it with pleasure, I just wish it had real sends and buses like aria pro so I can control the level of the sends and built custom bus channels, in fact Cubasis 3 does not allow you to save custom channel strips so you can recall them for singers, guitarists etc

but Cubasis 3 is fun, the best for musicians compared to aura pros complex appearance and confusing sub to bus and aux sends set up.,

im still trying to figure out how to utilise simple channel (stereo out) with a send to a BUS with multiple fx, you can't, your channels in AP have to have their outputs assigned to an aux-like group, all channels have up to 6 aux sends (you flip in twos on the master volume channel to browse) once you have that channel output to an aux you use fx on this channel but its not a real send, then you actually can use the aux sends on the aux-group channel, but when you go to add aux your limited to one single fx insert! that is pathetic!

To explain the normal route (which will allow you to side chain if necessary)
    -You want a channel (anything) to have sends with levels to aux or aux with the desired fx.
    -If the channel is assigned to a aux-bus group you want that aux-bus group to have the sends with levels.
    -you want your destination channel (aux-Bus etc) to have at least 3 inserts not just one.
    you basically need your channels or grouped channels to have their own stereo outs, sends with their own stereo outs and your set.

Auria Pro is on sale today for less then Cubasis 3, how ever I would never recommend it with cubasis v3 out with multiple fx sends like inserts..(although it would be nice to have channel strips too)

• godgod
    edited March 2020

bought! + All IAPs. Hope it'll be worth it.. :)

btw what's the current status of auv3 automation? Steinberg online user's manual page on the subject is 404 :neutral:

• @LinearLineman said:
    CB3 cpu meter must be opened under systems tab and is no longer on the upper left. Somewhere on the bottom, I think.

Cubasis2 is 1.1gb. CB3 is 1.2gb. Does that mean anything?

Hi @LinearLineman,

Hope you're well!
    Would think this is related to the MicroSonic Instrument Refill content additions in Cubasis 3.0.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @god said:
    btw what's the current status of auv3 automation? Steinberg online user's manual

Hi,

Audio Unit automation is supported, and there should be no issues.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @FPC said:

@LFS said:

@FPC said:

Hi @FPC,

Best wishes,
    Lars

No it was just my first go at importing a C2 project into C3 literally only a few minutes after buying C3.

The first play resulted in a really horrible loud noise with all controls frozen. Really strangely it carried on for some time after swiping away the app. All fine when a booted up C3 again.

As I said it was an AU heavy track but I'm not overly concerned as it's all good now 😄

Cheers and good luck with future updates.

Hi @FPC,

Again, glad to read that Cubasis 3 works as expected for you now!

Nevertheless, it might be helpful for our engineers, trying to reproduce the initial Cubasis 2 project import issue.
    If you agree to this, please share the Cubasis 2 project with us (e.g. upload via Dropbox, download link via private message).

Thanks again
    & stay safe!
    Lars

• edited March 2020

@LFS said:

@god said:
    btw what's the current status of auv3 automation? Steinberg online user's manual

Hi,

Best wishes,
    Lars

what's the future look like for real sends with levels ( automate able) to real bus channels with inserts?

Channels with Aux or Buses,
    Subs to group channels, with sends to real bus channels, all with their own outputs.

will you guys add this?

• @LFS said:

@god said:

Hi,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Yep, just tested it now and things seem to be working pretty well.
    Thank you! :)

• @god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Yep, just tested it now and things seem to be working pretty well.
    Thank you! :)

Perfect... :) Thanks for the update!

• @LFS said:

@god said:

Hi,

Best wishes,
    Lars

hi Lars, actually there are issues with automation , when recording automating parameters on a midi sequenced track the beginning of new blocks of midi resets the automation , there are other issues caused by splits in midi track also, fx playing cuts off even when automation isn’t being used..
    this is with latest beta, sorry haven!t had to time to put in my list of bugs, things are hectic here same as everywhere else.
    but yes automation works .. though it will probably prove to be easier to draw what you want in afterwards due to the very kranky nature of it currently

• @RockySmalls said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi,

Best wishes,
    Lars

hi Lars, actually there are issues with automation , when recording automating parameters on a midi sequenced track the beginning of new blocks of midi resets the automation , there are other issues caused by splits in midi track also, fx playing cuts off even when automation isn’t being used..
    this is with latest beta, sorry haven!t had to time to put in my list of bugs, things are hectic here same as everywhere else.
    but yes automation works .. though it will probably prove to be easier to draw what you want in afterwards due to the very kranky nature of it currently

And that is where my 'nagging' kicks in, you can't draw any automation without first recording knob-movements, this since there is no way to manually add an 'automation lane' for a selected parameter.

Why is it so hard to add a 'parameter browser/list' to the automation editor and tick a box for each parameter that needs an automation lane, then we could use a line/curve tool to draw the automation?!

Maybe something to add for Cubasis 3.1...