Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 is on sale

Comments

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

@YourJunk said:
    The big problem I still have is trying to load multiple AUv3’s. Three instances of Noir (which is pretty light from my understanding), two instances of Shockwave (probably fairly resource heavy granted), and some Dubstation 2 has a project completely unusable. All I get is random noise.

That being said, nothing beats the layout and overall flow. And I have yet to have a project break using the native plugins.

Hi @YourJunk,

Please note that using 3rd party plug-ins can lead to issues unrelated to Cubasis (same for other DAWs).

In addition, running several applications at once (this is what happens, when loading Cubasis alongside several Audio Units), can lead to CPU issues.

What happens, if you decrease the hardware latency in the setup?
    If the problem persists, please let us have a detailed step description.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

@Samu said:
    I'm happy with the Cubasis 3 purchase. It's a LOT smoother than Cubasis 2 ever was on the iPad Air 2...

Glad to read this, Samu!
    The new update will - expected to be released at the end of this month - bring back the MiniSampler, Apple Pencil support and further improvements.

Best,
    Lars

• @YourJunk said:

@god said:

@YourJunk said:
    The big problem I still have is trying to load multiple AUv3’s. Three instances of Noir (which is pretty light from my understanding), two instances of Shockwave (probably fairly resource heavy granted), and some Dubstation 2 has a project completely unusable. All I get is random noise.

That being said, nothing beats the layout and overall flow. And I have yet to have a project break using the native plugins.

This sounds pretty bad. What device are you using?

Happens on my iPhone 11 and iPad 7th gen. Granted not the most processing power but I can rock similar setups with Xequence 2 and AUM without any issues.

I feel 11 should be powerful enough. I'm on 8+ :'(

• @LFS said:

@Samu said:
    I'm happy with the Cubasis 3 purchase. It's a LOT smoother than Cubasis 2 ever was on the iPad Air 2...

Glad to read this, Samu!
    The new update will - expected to be released at the end of this month - bring back the MiniSampler, Apple Pencil support and further improvements.

You're welcome :)

More advanced midi & audio-routing is something I would love to see in Cubasis!
    Both AUM and apeMatix are pretty darn flexible when it comes to this.

For example being able to use any track as an input to another track (or the MiniSampler) could be handy.
    This would allow easy recording of an AUv3 plug-ins output to an audio track without using track-freeze.

It could also allow one track to control multiple AUv3's on different tracks without having to duplicate the sequenced midi data making it easier to create layered sounds. (Or for example take sustained chord notes from one track and turn it into an arpeggio for another track by feeding the data thru Rozeta Arpeggio on the destination track).

And well, Cubase Sampler Track as IAP and I'd be all over it ;)

Cheers!

• @hellquist said:

@hellquist said:

@Thelast27 said:
    @LFS Is the sale price in Australia $52.99?

In Sweden the sale price isn't displayed just yet, so could be the same in Australia I guess.
    Either that, or Apple is going bonkers with their exchange rate brackets, but the current price in Swedish currency is what the "regular" price translates to.

Hmm...now the price has changed in the Swedish store. It now costs the equivalent of $41 USD (compared to the $34 in the US which is the advertised sale price). Apples price "brackets" never cease to amaze me, as this is quite far from the 32% discount, regardless of how one counts.

In Canada it is 46.99$ Is that the sale price ?

• @ecou said:
    In Canada it is 46.99$ Is that the sale price ?

Yes, it’s normally $69. I finally just bit the bullet and picked it up.

• As we consider this sale price, can any users share their current feedback on stability and functionality?

Are people happy with CB3 under a "normal" usage loads?

I'm not asking for details... I realize there are endless pages to read to get the details... I'm more interested in thumbs up or down. Do you recommend it now?

• edited March 2020

@LFS How long is the sale on for please? I’m teetering..........

• @LFS said:
    In a few days, Cubasis 3.0.2 will be released, adding Apple Pencil support

Yay!!! This makes me more happy than it probably should :)
    Makes a mental note to update review...
    If I could review @LFS it would be a solid 5 star for the work he always does around here.

• @pete12000 said:
    As we consider this sale price, can any users share their current feedback on stability and functionality?

Are people happy with CB3 under a "normal" usage loads?

I'm not asking for details... I realize there are endless pages to read to get the details... I'm more interested in thumbs up or down. Do you recommend it now?

I have consistent problems when trying to use AU’s. Really my only issue, granted it’s a big one.

• edited March 2020

It seems odd that the Cubasis team is having a sale to sell a version of Cubasis that may be not as buggy as previous versions of Cubasis 2.

I still cannot fathom how these people have a job after what they did to Cubasis2 and the the horrific launch of Cubasis3

I think it is too little too late, what used to be one of the best IOS daws out and a stellar reputation for Steinberg has been compromised.

Like others I see that sale and ask "Do I take the risk?" That is just sad with a company like this that used to be known for quality.

I will wait for the next complete rewrite that is of the quality that Steinberg used to be known for and is properly tested and vetted before being tossed out to the public.

Do not get me wrong I used to love my Cubasis before they messed it up and then released a sub par version and now.....

It makes me wonder, did they intentionally sabotage Cubasis2 in order to sell Cubasis 3?

• @LFS said:

@Samu said:

Glad to read this, Samu!

Best,
    Lars

Can we have a little more info on this update... Wishing Ableton Link would.....?

• @Samu said:

@LFS said:

@Samu said:

Glad to read this, Samu!

You're welcome :)

More advanced midi & audio-routing is something I would love to see in Cubasis!
    Both AUM and apeMatix are pretty darn flexible when it comes to this.

For example being able to use any track as an input to another track (or the MiniSampler) could be handy.
    This would allow easy recording of an AUv3 plug-ins output to an audio track without using track-freeze.

It could also allow one track to control multiple AUv3's on different tracks without having to duplicate the sequenced midi data making it easier to create layered sounds. (Or for example take sustained chord notes from one track and turn it into an arpeggio for another track by feeding the data thru Rozeta Arpeggio on the destination track).

And well, Cubase Sampler Track as IAP and I'd be all over it ;)

Cheers!

+1 And I'm expecting everyone in this thread to +1 what Samu wrote! ;)

• @ralis said:

Do not get me wrong I used to love my Cubasis before they messed it up and then released a sub par version and now.....

It makes me wonder, did they intentionally sabotage Cubasis2 in order to sell Cubasis 3?

To be honest, I had the same thought.

But that IAP transfer makes things more easy, so I will bite.

• @YourJunk said:
    I have consistent problems when trying to use AU’s. Really my only issue, granted it’s a big one.

So it's unusable. Thanks.

I'll check back in at the next sale.

• Geez @ralis.... conspiracy theory trickle down!😉

• @pete12000 said:

@YourJunk said:

yeah, same here. it all just sounds like the app's in beta stage honestly.

• @RajahP said:
    Can we have a little more info on this update... Wishing Ableton Link would.....?

Hi @RajahP,

As mentioned before, the update brings back the MiniSampler edit functionality and Apple Penci support, alongside several improvements and fixes. Tomorrow morning our time we will come up with the official sales announcement and pre-announcement of the updates (which are aimed to be released at the end of March),

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@RajahP said:

Hi @RajahP,

As mentioned before, the update brings back the MiniSampler edit functionality and Apple Penci support, alongside several improvements and fixes. Tomorrow morning our time we will come up with the official sales announcement and pre-announcement of the updates (which are aimed to be released at the end of March),

Best,
    Lars

Great.. all the best..

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

@ralis said:
    It seems odd that the Cubasis team is having a sale to sell a version of Cubasis that may be not as buggy as previous versions of Cubasis 2.

I still cannot fathom how these people have a job after what they did to Cubasis2 and the the horrific launch of Cubasis3

I think it is too little too late, what used to be one of the best IOS daws out and a stellar reputation for Steinberg has been compromised.

Like others I see that sale and ask "Do I take the risk?" That is just sad with a company like this that used to be known for quality.

I will wait for the next complete rewrite that is of the quality that Steinberg used to be known for and is properly tested and vetted before being tossed out to the public.

Hi @ralis,

Thank you for your message.

Cubasis 3 is a brand-new app which has been coded from scratch. We've addressed 30+ user-reported issues in the previous Cubasis 3.0.1 update. The upcoming 3.0.2 update will bring back Apple Pencil support and the MiniSampler edit functionality, alongside resolving further issues.

We are unaware of Cubasis 2 issues, but willing to evaluate them.

In order to do this, please provide me with bug reports including step descriptions that allow us to reproduce the problems (see our bug reporting form below).

Without this information, we're unable to do anything unfortunately.

Will leave this uncommented. Please check for yourself, how many updates Cubasis 1/2 have seen over the years.

Best wishes
    Lars

Bug Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• I bought C3 now and transferred the IAP, only Roomworks SE did not work.
    It requires a login and i lost my credentials, as it seems.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2020

I was with a company that sold hardware and the operating system had hit it's limits based upon an limited design. Customers complained about features that competitors had. Management asks the development team why they were following behind on new features to compete?

**"To add most of these we would need to re-build the OS from scratch."

Eventually, management sees the problem and orders the re-write. It's a save the product mission: a death march project since they had a cash cow in the hardware.

When it came out it took 2 years to achieve the stability of the older OS but it did get stable and it did allow the new features and enhancements that couldn't be implemented in the old product. It did generate a movement to fork the older Berkeley code base as Open Source and that variant Unix flavor has it's devoted following but every Commercial Unix went with AT&T's license and core features.

The this guy Linux Torvold's started his Linux "clone" project without licensed code from either.

Where's the open source iPad clone? Android most likely will compete at least on cost with Apple.

There are so many examples of this pattern in the world of tech:

• Apples OS 9 to OS-X
    • Apples drooping the Motorola Chip and using Intel
    • Sun OS 1.x (Berkeley Unix) to Solaris 2.x (AT&T System V Unix)
    • Windows DOS-based to NT

Cubasis 2 to 3 was required and we're going to see stability and features to compete.
    It will take time but Steinberg is a small piece of Yamaha so they will stay the course and regain the confidence of users. It's up to you when to invest. A sale time is a good time to
    get that license recorded with Apple iTunes and transfer the IAPs.

I'm sure they need the revenue to report to upper management that they have the right team managing the transition.

@Samu's endorsement speaks volumes to me... it's time to own Cubasis 3 for me. It will only get better. Besides I buy apps for the time they consume and engage my mind. If they delight me I let people know. If not I tend to set it aside and watch for updates and revisit.

• @McD There is no source code for iOS... that's the difference, i think.

• @McD said:

Where's the open source iPad clone? Android most likely will compete at least on cost with Apple.

>

Good question! :smiley:

• @LFS I really admire how you can keep cool when reading all sort of crazy conspiracy theories, complaints about the price and on and on.
    Some people obviously have no idea how complex it is to build software especially a DAW. As long as Steinberg keeps fixing bugs in reasonable time I’ll be happy 😊

• Hey @Lars,
    Here’s a bit of an odd question. Will Cubasis 2 and 3 support mouse API? Or does it seem like it’ll be focused on 3?

Also, do projects from Cubasis 2 open in 3? And , vice versa?

I’m currently designing some scripts for apps, and I’m trying to understand how to incorporate the design. Doing some tests on different DAWs.

• @pete12000 said:

@YourJunk said:

Not entirely, no. You can work around it with other apps. The big key here is the audio track piece. Cubasis seems like the most complete DAW out there on iOS. I don’t know if we will ever get a full feature, stable DAW on iOS.

But I can take Xequence 2 and AUM to do what I can’t reliably do in Cubasis and throw that into Cubasis to do the things I can’t do in Xequence 2 and AUM.

• @tja said:
    @McD There is no source code for iOS... that's the difference, i think.

The IOS "source code" is the huge body of Objective-C (I would assume) code that gets
    compiled down to the IOS binary release files.

I'm guessing you read "source code" and thought of open source code which anyone
    is free to read through, contribute to and even compile into a running binary OS like Linux,
    Open Solaris, Open BSD, Open Sesame (for Magic Carpets) and Open Your Mouth (a free dentistry OS).

Hoping for a Shut Your Mouth variant that works as a targeted virus.

• Wow well said.

@YourJunk said:

@pete12000 said:

@YourJunk said:

Not entirely, no. You can work around it with other apps. The big key here is the audio track piece. Cubasis seems like the most complete DAW out there on iOS. I don’t know if we will ever get a full feature, stable DAW on iOS.

But I can take Xequence 2 and AUM to do what I can’t reliably do in Cubasis and throw that into Cubasis to do the things I can’t do in Xequence 2 and AUM.

• @YourJunk said:

Everything I do is AU or audio. So to me, what's the value of a crippled DAW / audio tracker that doesn't integrate with the X2/AUM/AB workflow it should be replacing?

If I have to stop creative flow and export to a DAW, then I'm moving into a real DAW like Logic (or Cubase, if I owned it).

Also, unrelated, but Steinberg's high-price beta program approach is seriously uncool. For better examples, I like what Coda did with their Audiokit looper, or the epic Beepstreet closed beta.