Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiokit Special "App Drop"

Comments

• If anyone genuinely can't save up $2.99 over 8 weeks I will gift them the app.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Apple are fairly strict on refunds, don't think anyone is getting $999 back without good reasons and a good lawyer

Not in the EU.
    It's EU law to offer refund within 14 days, no questions asked.

• @Peblin said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Apple are fairly strict on refunds, don't think anyone is getting $999 back without good reasons and a good lawyer

Not in the EU.

This and you can choose the reason „accidentally“ bought. So...

• This looks brilliant, looking forward to trying it out whilst in self imposed isolation !

• I’m all in.

• This is neat. I don't think it's a bad idea. It's not like trying to register for college classes when you're up at like 12am and scrambling to try to lock in all your classes and whuppppps it's 12:10 and now you're taking fitness walking instead of that rad ass rock climbing elective.

I think most importantly, @analog_matt , if this has re-invigorated your desire to code and work on these kinds of projects, that's what's key. It's a neat idea, 8 weeks is more than enough time to get it together AND you've stated anyone hard up can just reach out. It's a win win win (c) Michael Scott.

• edited March 2020

@Monome said:
    There’s no hate in my statement and I think @analog_matt and the audiokit people have done an excellent job but I just don’t like the idea.
    You want to try something new? It’s ok, go ahead but I have enough GAS already as to cope with yet another marketing strategy.
    Just my opinion.

Agreed. I apologize if my previous comment was a bit callous, just being straight-up about it. Its hard being a small developer shop for sure. I just have enough nagging anxiety in my life, don't need app FOMO ontop of it.

• Just checked which of my apps are AudioKit apps and they’re all in my preferred set, so I’m quite excited about this now.

• My big objection was that only a select few were being invited to purchase the app via an invitation email. That seems not to be true. Which is a relief.

The narrow time frame of availability, that definitely creates a sense of urgency. It's basically a sale window.

• @iammane said:

This is neat. I don't think it's a bad idea. It's not like trying to register for college classes when you're up at like 12am and scrambling to try to lock in all your classes and whuppppps it's 12:10 and now you're taking fitness walking instead of that rad ass rock climbing elective.

American colleges are weird...

• @cian said:
    @iammane said:

This is neat. I don't think it's a bad idea. It's not like trying to register for college classes when you're up at like 12am and scrambling to try to lock in all your classes and whuppppps it's 12:10 and now you're taking fitness walking instead of that rad ass rock climbing elective.

Not to get super political but American everything is weird..

• @iammane said:

@cian said:
    @iammane said:

Not to get super political but American everything is weird..

Yeah, but you like the cheeseburgers, right? And jazz? ;)

• edited March 2020

@analog_matt
    So, I had some time to think it through. It's really cool that you're finding a way to make something cool and exclusive.

Here's some ideas that came to mind:
    1. App unlock when you connect a special device (Similar to how Cubasis 2 LE unlocked when I connected my UD-BT01 bluetooth adapter). The app existed, but it was a fun surprise for someone like me who couldn’t afford it to find a way to get it.
    2. Making a true iOS Synth (Think AKAI MPK Mini size keyboard & drumpad combi + inbuilt iPhone/iPad + Audio in/out interface+ USB Hub). Would have a few exclusive apps, and can be updated, but is overall very stable as a standalone.
    3. Audiokit souvenirs with unique app unlock badges. Wristband, or T-shirt (although could be the same unlock)
    4. Custom skins unique to veteran buyers of the app. Think of Korg Monopoly and how there was the unique Monopoly skin. It's an aesthetic, but it felt really nice to have that exclusive skin - that's the reason why I haven't updated the app yet.

• so i’m confused. when does this app become available?

• @eross said:
    so i’m confused. when does this app become available?

Thursday or Friday according to @analog_matt

• @Peblin said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Not in the EU.

Nope, that is on purchases, you purchase nothing from the app store, you rent, if you purchased then legally you would be able to resell the app as new, this is not the case because it is a rental ;)

• @Turntablist said:

@Peblin said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Not in the EU.

Nope, that is on purchases, you purchase nothing from the app store, you rent, if you purchased then legally you would be able to resell the app as new, this is not the case because it is a rental ;)

Do you have a source for that? Factually you are of course correct but I’d be interested in a write-up.

• Trust me, it is the law, Apple have the best lawyers in the world, the wording in the app store licence is sticking to that law, rental.

• @Samflash3 & everyone - great ideas, thank you!

It looks like the app will be coming out tomorrow (Friday) instead of today. Thanks for your patience. 🙏

• ... "The collabs and this whole experience of building special edition apps has made coding fun for me again." ... this seems most significant for me.

we all want to injoy how we spend our time :)

artificially scarce music apps (in a sea of sooo much beauty) seems very different to something like this .... https://www.politico.eu/article/europes-hidden-milk-price-lake-threatens-fragile-market-eu-commission/

the need most of us have to commodify our time and output can sometimes way heavy

imagine a world where we all just do it for the joy :)

and i feel like this will work out well for Matt and all of us - great apps for great prices - an 8 week purchase window surely wide enough for most who occasionally visit here - and an opportunity for those of us prone to appwholism to consider :)

is it wrong to buy apps for a future ipad ;?)

• I love this idea. I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with.

• @Turntablist said:
    Trust me, it is the law, Apple have the best lawyers in the world, the wording in the app store licence is sticking to that law, rental.

Technically, a license that you acquire from the third party seller. Apple just provides the App Store infrastructure. Terms of the licence are governed by an EULA between the developer and the buyer. So, yes, not sale but not really a rental either.

As to the original question, for the UK the pertinent passage reads:

“ Right of cancellation: If you choose to cancel your order, you may do so within 14 days of when you received your receipt, without giving any reason.”

Not too bad.

• edited March 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Trust me, it is the law, Apple have the best lawyers in the world, the wording in the app store licence is sticking to that law, rental.

”If you bought a product or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and without a justification.”

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not a lawyer so man-guessing here; on rent vs purchase - I suspect that buying the right / licence to use the product (even for a limited time = rent) would fall under ”product” in the EU directive above. So the ”product” is not the app, it’s the licence - hence Apple need to abide by EU law for refunds on digital purchases.

And a bit of history digging;
    https://9to5mac.com/2014/12/29/app-store-itunes-refunds-eu/

Apple introduced the 14-day refund, no questions asked policy for EU countries 6 months after the EU directive was issued. Coincidence?

• @Peblin said:

@Turntablist said:

”If you bought a product or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and without a justification.”

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not a lawyer so man-guessing here; on rent vs purchase - I suspect that buying the right / licence to use the product (even for a limited time = rent) would fall under ”product” in the EU directive above. So the ”product” is not the app, it’s the licence - hence Apple need to abide by EU law for refunds on digital purchases.

And a bit of history digging;
    https://9to5mac.com/2014/12/29/app-store-itunes-refunds-eu/

Apple introduced the 14-day refund, no questions asked policy for EU countries 6 months after the EU directive was issued. Coincidence?

And they kind of withdrew it only a short while after. After you refund one or two apps, you can no longer purchase apps without renouncing your rights to refund it. That has just become part of the purchasing process.

• 14 day no questions asked refund for Europe is only valid if you don’t download the app.

Apple are good at surfing.

Looking forward to Friday, thanks for the update @analog_matt

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    14 day no questions asked refund for Europe is only valid if you don’t download the app.

99% certain this isn’t true. How do you buy an app without downloading it?

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    14 day no questions asked refund for Europe is only valid if you don’t download the app.

Apple are good at surfing.

Looking forward to Friday, thanks for the update @analog_matt

Simply untrue.

• I was mistaken about the policy.

As @nick mentioned, that kicks in once you have refunded an app.

Refunded Z3TA and even free apps gave me that warning popup before install until very recently.

Will be getting all of these to support Audiokit.

• @drcongo said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

99% certain this isn’t true. How do you buy an app without downloading it?

it sounds absurd but that‘s actually how Apple phrases it.