Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FRMS - Granular Synthesizer from Imaginando

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:
    I too am interested in how well FRMS runs on an iPad Air 2 (iPadOS13.5.1), ie. how much polyphony and how many AUv3 instances it can handle... (I might get it to support an awesome dev though).

Depending on the outcome of WWDC'20 (ie. if the iPad Air 2 gets iPadOS14 support) I might end up getting a new iPad but I hate the fact that I'll be loosing the headphone jack and face the with the fixed sample-rate insanity that still cause mayhem...

My Air 2 has been playing up over the last month, might update it from 12x and see if that helps.

@sinosoidal - have the recent updates made the app more usable on an Air 2?

DRC is one of my favourites, so I took a leap with FRMS today, since the price is right. After initial testing, my Air 2 really seems to be struggling with it.

Hosted in AUM, running a sequence of eighth notes At 90 bpm from StepBud, there was near constant crackling, with the DSP hovering around 100%. Switching from poly to mono mode helped considerably, and there is a “high quality” setting which, when turned off, helped as well. In mono, with high quality off, a single instance was playing without crackling at 50 DSP.

Glad to have purchased at this price, as it really does seem pretty cool, but will probably wait until Santa brings me a shiny new Air 3 before I really dive into it.

Ah, hmm...thank you.

I was hoping to be able to just run it in standalone, or one instance in AUM and record audio from it as sample fodder, sounds like I’ll have to give it a miss though.

An Air 3 is on the cards for me too at some point, not sure when that will be though.

On my Air 2 polyphony is capped at 3 voices and it plays fine with the most complex patches. Upon release, one voice already was dicey. I don’t think several AU instances, each played polyphonically, is a realistic prospect even for current devices.

Given how complex the patches are and how much is going on, more than a few voices would be overkill, imo.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:
    I too am interested in how well FRMS runs on an iPad Air 2 (iPadOS13.5.1), ie. how much polyphony and how many AUv3 instances it can handle... (I might get it to support an awesome dev though).

Depending on the outcome of WWDC'20 (ie. if the iPad Air 2 gets iPadOS14 support) I might end up getting a new iPad but I hate the fact that I'll be loosing the headphone jack and face the with the fixed sample-rate insanity that still cause mayhem...

My Air 2 has been playing up over the last month, might update it from 12x and see if that helps.

DRC is one of my favourites, so I took a leap with FRMS today, since the price is right. After initial testing, my Air 2 really seems to be struggling with it.

Hosted in AUM, running a sequence of eighth notes At 90 bpm from StepBud, there was near constant crackling, with the DSP hovering around 100%. Switching from poly to mono mode helped considerably, and there is a “high quality” setting which, when turned off, helped as well. In mono, with high quality off, a single instance was playing without crackling at 50 DSP.

Glad to have purchased at this price, as it really does seem pretty cool, but will probably wait until Santa brings me a shiny new Air 3 before I really dive into it.

Ah, hmm...thank you.

I was hoping to be able to just run it in standalone, or one instance in AUM and record audio from it as sample fodder, sounds like I’ll have to give it a miss though.

An Air 3 is on the cards for me too at some point, not sure when that will be though.

On my Air 2 polyphony is capped at 3 voices and it plays fine with the most complex patches. Upon release, one voice already was dicey. I don’t think several AU instances, each played polyphonically, is a realistic prospect even for current devices.

Given how complex the patches are and how much is going on, more than a few voices would be overkill, imo.

Ah ok, so one instance of the app in AUM, you can run three voices out of the four? That doesn’t sound too bad.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

Ah, hmm...thank you.

Ah ok, so one instance of the app in AUM, you can run three voices out of the four? That doesn’t sound too bad.

Yes. In fact, my version is hard capped at three but it’s a beta.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

Ah, hmm...thank you.

Ok cheers - is that the current version, or a new one you’re testing?

• Keyboard and global controls are off screen as AUv3 in AUM and Nanostudio 2.

In Nanostudio 2

Ipad 6th gen - iOS 13.5

@sinosoidal

• @despego said:
    Keyboard and global controls are off screen as AUv3 in AUM and Nanostudio 2.

In Nanostudio 2

Ipad 6th gen - iOS 13.5

@sinosoidal

We need to investigate. Thanks for reporting!

• edited June 2020

Ok, one vote for running alright (though a beta) on an Air 2, two votes for unusable, dev not saying either way.

I’ll sit on the fence for a few days.

• @MonzoPro said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

Ah, hmm...thank you.

Same as production.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

Ah, hmm...thank you.

I have the 2018 ipad, whatever it is called (6th gen?) and frms ran flawlessly. I made a cool patch right away from my fish tank folder noise, but I was in NYC today and recorded the 7pm citywide clapping and cheering, going to see what I can do with that one tonight. I forgot how fun granular synthesis is.

• edited June 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

Ah, hmm...thank you.

Same as production.

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Cliffy said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

Ah, hmm...thank you.

I have the 2018 ipad, whatever it is called (6th gen?) and frms ran flawlessly. I made a cool patch right away from my fish tank folder noise, but I was in NYC today and recorded the 7pm citywide clapping and cheering, going to see what I can do with that one tonight. I forgot how fun granular synthesis is.

Cheers guys, not sure how the 2018 compares to an Air 2, but sounds promising. (edit, seems the gen 6 is almost twice the speed of the Air 2).

I was mucking about with Quanta yesterday, and this new one seems like Quanta on steroids, so would like to grab it if I can.

• @sinosoidal said:

@despego said:
    Keyboard and global controls are off screen as AUv3 in AUM and Nanostudio 2.

In Nanostudio 2

Ipad 6th gen - iOS 13.5

@sinosoidal

We need to investigate. Thanks for reporting!

off screen in zenbeats as well

• will frms come to iphone!?

• edited June 2020

@MonzoPro ah, I misread, thought you said you had air 3 (I don’t know what that is in comparison to 2018). My 128gb 2018 was $349 if I remember correctly and I’m not in any rush to upgrade, that’s for sure.

• @mrufino1 said:
    @MonzoPro ah, I misread, thought you said you had air 3 (I don’t know what that is in comparison to 2018). My 128gb 2018 was $349 if I remember correctly and I’m not in any rush to upgrade, that’s for sure.

I’ve got me eye on the Air 3, think it’s a bit faster than the 2018 - didn’t realise that was so powerful though, maybe the standard iPad might do me, and save a few quid.

• @MonzoPro said:

@mrufino1 said:

I’ve got me eye on the Air 3, think it’s a bit faster than the 2018 - didn’t realise that was so powerful though, maybe the standard iPad might do me, and save a few quid.

I’ve been happy with it, mainly because it works with Apple Pencil. GoodNotes is a lifesaver for the adhd crowd, no papers to lose, and writing with the Apple Pencil is really good.

• edited June 2020

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@mrufino1 said:

I’ve been happy with it, mainly because it works with Apple Pencil. GoodNotes is a lifesaver for the adhd crowd, no papers to lose, and writing with the Apple Pencil is really good.

Oh wow, I didn’t realise it had pencil support - that was my motivation for thinking about a new Air. All hypothetical at the moment, but think I need to check the specs of the non-Airs too when budget allows.

• Updated and a new pack of sounded inserted as IAP.

I’m enjoying it so much.

• Cool, thanks for the headsup! What sort of patches is that?

• “FRMS v1.1.0 has just been released, and there’s a brand new cinematic soundbank available from German 808 loving producer Supremeja Music.“

• edited August 2020

@SNystrom said:
    “FRMS v1.1.0 has just been released, and there’s a brand new cinematic soundbank available from German 808 loving producer Supremeja Music.“

Anyone knows if the layout issues in the Global tab are fixed? (see my post above)

• More on the pack:

“The new Supremeja Music Preset Pack has 41 huge, expansive presets + 49 original samples - all you need to score your own epic blockbuster film or future Netflix box set! (Load up the ‘Strange Things’ patch and you’ll instantly see what we mean!)

• edited August 2020

Will this be available on iPhone too at some point? That would be incredible. A cool granular for the pocket arsenal....

Edit: bought the pack! Incredible stuff. Alone the Opportunity to reverse engineer these patches are worth the asked price. Maybe they will make some more videos on YouTube to FRMS too. Granular making sounding good is a thing I am At right now

• @despego said:

@SNystrom said:
    “FRMS v1.1.0 has just been released, and there’s a brand new cinematic soundbank available from German 808 loving producer Supremeja Music.“

Anyone knows if the layout issues in the Global tab are fixed? (see my post above)

Nope, just re-downloaded and the output knobs in the Global tab are still out of the screen in AU mode. Is this only me - iPad 6th gen? @sinosoidal ?

• @despego it doesn't happen to me in a maximized AUM window in my 12.9 ipad, but it does if shrink the AU window a bit.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @despego it doesn't happen to me in a maximized AUM window in my 12.9 ipad, but it does if shrink the AU window a bit.

Funny! it happens to me although I max the window. I can stretch the window, letting the left side out of the screen but it is not an optimal solution.

• This is a wonderful new pack. It is very dark and deeeep. Remind me the ambiance in video games like Silent Hill 2. Beautiful and scary

• edited August 2020

The new presets from Supremeja are well worth the money...

• The new IAP presets in FRMS called "Supremeja Music Cinema" are all excellent! And, only $1 right now.

Grabbed them last night. :)

• The new IAP are fantastic.

• pretty decent pack i heard a few sounds i’d play with!