Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mazetools Mutant by Ectoplastic

Comments

• edited March 2020

Fell into the $3 trap...it got me again! Enough to buy them a gas station coffee, but not enough to spend a refund on. Eh

Oh and it clicks like crazy, much like the more expensive one did for a good while upon release. Lesson learned!

• so what's the list of other apps that are similar to this one?

• @oat_phipps said:
    Fell into the $3 trap...it got me again! Enough to buy them a gas station coffee, but not enough to spend a refund on. Eh

Oh and it clicks like crazy, much like the more expensive one did for a good while upon release. Lesson learned!

gaaaa! that’s terrible man

• The app is working fine for me on an iPad Air 3, iPadOS 13.4. Seems very good for ambient music.

• easy to export audio? what format if so

• I’ve notified the dev of this discussion and suggested he pops his head in.

• @reasOne said:
    easy to export audio? what format if so

You can record your performance and then it will let you save it to a Files app location of your choice. My recorded file was a 16bit 44.1k wav file on an iPad Air 3. You could used an app like AudioShare to convert it to a format of your choice.

• Hi guys!
    Thank you @White for making this thread! Like many had said right, Mutant is a child project of Soniface, but in the back-end did happen a lot...With Mutant we tried to make a step forward in many way. But, still connectivity issues, because of Unity, we're still looking for support in this way...same with the iOS specific things, like mute bug ( @Carnbot has described it) We still got to handle the ram better, and tune up the sound processing, to eliminate any crackle (big problem for older diveces)... Stephan (the developer and designer of all) is working with great passion from update to update, from app to app. So, thanks for every purchase @oat_phipps Stay tuned ;) So, if you have any further questions, I ll be around! Best, Jakob

• Thanks @ectoplastic yeah, I'm getting a lot of click issues from the audio engine too, when attached to audio interface..so maybe it's a sample rate issue or something? Not sure.

Really like the experience, but other than connectivity (+ for Soniface too) would love to see a mixer for the different elements and options to adjust the synth sounds. :)

• Worth noting that these clicks aren’t appearing on the internal recordings for me.

• I love this community. Thank you @ectoplastic for being a part of this conversation, and to every developer that is present here in discussion of their passion 😁

• edited March 2020

I realize that Mutant doesn't fall into the traditional ios music app paradigm, and for that reason it may not be for everyone.

However, if you give it some time and explore everything it CAN do... it's really a hellava lot of fun! You can get a good deal of variance playing the the automated filters, spinning the cube around, hitting that little cube in the bottom left to go to a screen that gives you more info on what changes will take place as you turn the cube in different directions. That "weird mode" button only records the effect while it's on, but where you applied the "weird" effect remains after you turn it off. Then new instrument plays without the weird mode won't have the effect, unless you turn it back on while you're playing with them.. if that makes any sense.

You can turn off the background soundscape and the background rhythm in the cell edit section. It'd be cool if you could import your own soundscape though.

Record the whole thing then export an audio file to further play with in AB3/NS2/AUM/apeMatrix, etc.

For the fun you get and the unique sound possible... it seems like a no brainer to me. But, I'm a fan of their Soniface app too, so there ya go. I seems more like a cross between an interesting sound tool and a fun puzzle game. :)

• can you change the sound scape like in soniface?

• @reasOne said:
    can you change the sound scape like in soniface?

The various themes you pick have different soundscapes, and when you spin the cube around it changes the soundscapes too... but you can't use your own yet.

• @skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

The various themes you pick have different soundscapes, and when you spin the cube around it changes the soundscapes too... but you can't use your own yet.

cool! and good points above... it’s def a great sounding app and lots of fun! exporting audio works , but would still love some iaa! just realized it is universal too , bonus

• @reasOne said:

@skiphunt said:

@reasOne said:

cool! and good points above... it’s def a great sounding app and lots of fun! exporting audio works , but would still love some iaa! just realized it is universal too , bonus

The way I've been using it when not "testing" the beta... is I just open it up when I just want to play around for a few minutes. Sometimes what I come up with gets too chaotic... but other times it starts sounding really interesting. I hit the record to grab a nice sample length, then export to AudioShare.

Later, when I'm screwing around in apeMatrix, etc. I pull that recording in as source and then add more to it.

For me, it's a keeper for it's fun factor alone. :)

• Thanks @skiphunt again for beta testing and explaining your experiences! The development is still in progress, thats why we choose the soft launch method. The biggest issue was to reduce the latency while implementing a new real time generated synth... @reasOne we still keep up looking for ways to improve connectivity in general!

The integration of own samples will definitely come, for that we will use the module of the recently developed granular sampler...

For further information about the concept of the app, you might have a look on https://www.mazetools.com/mutant/

• @ectoplastic
    Could you give a clue as to what “Weird Mode” does?

Also “Clear” and Clear All”, what is being cleared?
    I think last loop for Clear, and all loops for the selected instrument for Clear All, but I am not sure.

This app is pretty cool. A very unique experience for me. Tons of creative fun.
    Thank you for the effort put into this app.

• @CracklePot the parameters on the right - impuls, envelope, filter, effects - can individually changed for each instrument. The "Weird Mode" enables the use of all parameters at once by 1 - 4 fingers.
    "Clear" deletes the values of the selected parameter,
    "Clear all" deletes all four parameter values of an instrument...

• @ectoplastic said:
    @CracklePot the parameters on the right - impuls, envelope, filter, effects - can individually changed for each instrument. The "Weird Mode" enables the use of all parameters at once by 1 - 4 fingers.

Very cool.
    Thank you for the info.
    🙂

• Hey, for those of you who dig Mutant :) there's a "collab" button for collaborating with others on the same wifi network.

Since I never have anyone on my same wifi network that I'd ever collaborate with ;) I tried out the feature anyway to see how well it's implemented.

Very well!

You just launch Mutant on the devices . Enter a cube. Hit the collab button. Then both device instances are playing in the same Mutant project. No complicated hoops to jump through at all. It just works.

So, I tried the collab feature on my iPad, an iPhone 7 plus, and an iPhone 11 Pro. Laid them out and selected different instruments for each. You can play simultaneously in the same Mutant project and can have different cube perspectives on each device as well.

It's kinda cool and pretty easy to do if you have multiple devices on the same wifi network.

• edited April 2020

Having fun messing around with Mazetools Mutant.

Used the Mutant-derived audio in the video edit, as iOS screen-recorded audio has a very low bit rate (128 kbps). I lined them up in the video editor and then muted out the screen-recorded audio.

• nice imma have to try that today @skiphunt i saw they added it in!

• Yup. It's fun! I think it's a very good value for the fun/ useful ratio. Universal too. Its it still only about $4?

• edited April 2020

@ectoplastic said:
    @CracklePot the parameters on the right - impuls, envelope, filter, effects - can individually changed for each instrument. The "Weird Mode" enables the use of all parameters at once by 1 - 4 fingers.

I kind of like it because I value tactile interactivity, which makes it feel like you're playing an instrument, so I'm not too disappointed that it's standalone. It's working fine on my latest generation iPad Pro and mini.

It does need real documentation, though, and I mean a more methodical reference than Soniface's popups, which always disappear before you can finish reading the info. For example, even with @ectoplastic 's helpful, ad hoc explanation of weird mode, it still isn't enough: I still can't figure out how exactly what my four fingers are doing in weird mode. At some point, the fun of discovery ends, and I just want to know how to use all the features. I mean, I guess I've figured out how the filter graphical thingy works, but the envelope just never does what I expect, and never takes on the shape I expect. The web page is hardly enough. It would also be really helpful to have documentation of which graphical and color elements carry sonic information, and which are purely ornamental.

I would also really like to be able to control the volume mix of the instruments. Sometimes the drums are just too loud for me. If there's some way to control loudness per instrument, it escapes me. Maybe a new mix tool on the right side?

I should add: I can't seem to figure out exactly what "Envelope" does, and also "Effects" seems to never have any effect at all.

• Hi! We're currently working on getting Mutant working on iOS 12. That's an important process because we did the mistake to release it for iOS 12 without proper testing, it was just out of our minds...now it takes, beside all the crisis and childcare during the home office and responding emails, social media requests etc, all resources of our two person team. We're really happy to have testers also from the AB community helping us with this. Thank you! We promise to deliver a proper documentation asap and keep you guys updated!
    Kind regards

• Hey, for what it's worth...

I'm running 13.4 on everything so I can't speak to the iOS12 performance.... but I can say that there have been about a half dozen beta updates since launch. Mutant works great and is very stable on my iPad Pro 10.5 and iPhone 7 Plus. But, it had some problems with the notch on my iPhone 11 Pro. In the last couple of betas, the devs have fixed all of the 11 Pro issues I was having. So, they're definitely on the case. I think they're just mostly focused on getting everything rock solid across devices, supported iOS versions, and 2 other platforms as well. :)

• This app looks very interesting / might have to give this a shot

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    This app looks very interesting / might have to give this a shot

If you do, I'm betting you're gonna think it was $4 well spent. :) Curious what you come up with