Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

While we're all cooped up inside, here're some Loopy Pro updates

Comments

• @Michael said:

Try getting to the play button with that!

Offset the play button right or left. What other choice do you have?

• @Michael said:

What are the three dots for?

• @Michael said:

Yikes... is it not counted by the safeAreaLayoutGuide?

• @TonalityApp said:

@Michael said:

Yikes... is it not counted by the safeAreaLayoutGuide?

Nope!

They bring up the split view controls.

• You could make the play button wider, that way it would be easy to click the button on both the left and the right of those 3 dots? And also easier to press play in general

• edited September 2021

@sloJordan said:
    You could make the play button wider, that way it would be easy to click the button on both the left and the right of those 3 dots? And also easier to press play in general

Probably still misleading, and is likely to have the same problem. What I’ll probably do is emulate there being a safe area inset at the top of the screen (which there should be anyway), and extend the entire toolbar downwards.

I’m a little worried about iOS 15 though, given the lack of thought put into that one element. Feels rushed in a big way!

• @Michael said:

Gonna be tight, many apps suffer from the three dots already 😎
    (I just love the added ease of use when it comes to multi-tasking)

• @Michael said:

@sloJordan said:
    You could make the play button wider, that way it would be easy to click the button on both the left and the right of those 3 dots? And also easier to press play in general

Probably still misleading, and is likely to have the same problem. What I’ll probably do is emulate there being a safe area inset at the top of the screen (which there should be anyway), and extend the entire toolbar downwards.

I’m a little worried about iOS 15 though, given the lack of thought put into that one element. Feels rushed in a big way!

thats true, it does look like it implies there is a three dot menu popup for the play button haha.

• @sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

@sloJordan said:

thats true, it does look like it implies there is a three dot menu popup for the play button haha.

I'm surprised though that its not possible to hide it, i feel like if its not hiding in there undocumented, they will add the ability at some point.

• @sloJordan said:

@sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

@sloJordan said:

I'm surprised though that its not possible to hide it, i feel like if its not hiding in there undocumented, they will add the ability at some point

I agree… it’ll probably come.

• Maybe the play button is just bemused...

• So many apps that hide the top status bar seem to also hide the multitasking dots in iPadOS 15 — maybe you’re playing by rules that they ignore, @Michael?

• @jebni said:
    So many apps that hide the top status bar seem to also hide the multitasking dots in iPadOS 15 — maybe you’re playing by rules that they ignore, @Michael?

Ahh, so there is a way to do it! That sounds promising. I couldn’t find any documentation but I’ll just keep looking

• What are those 3 dots for in iOS 15?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    What are those 3 dots for in iOS 15?

It's for summoning split-view, tap on it and select which side you want to add another app to.

• @jebni said:
    So many apps that hide the top status bar seem to also hide the multitasking dots in iPadOS 15 — maybe you’re playing by rules that they ignore, @Michael?

Exactly Cubasis hides the whole top status bar as has no dots. GB doesn’t hide hide the status bar but still no dots.

quick Google suggests to override view controller prefersHomeIndicatorAutoHidden And return yes

• @realdawei said:

@jebni said:

Exactly Cubasis hides the whole top status bar as has no dots. GB doesn’t hide hide the status bar but still no dots.

quick Google suggests to override view controller prefersHomeIndicatorAutoHidden And return yes

Nice one!!

• To be clear, the 'three dots' only appear when an app supports split-new, neither GarageBand or Cubasis do that...

• @Samu said:
    To be clear, the 'three dots' only appear when an app supports split-new, neither GarageBand or Cubasis do that...

Ahhhh, gotcha.

• @Michael said:

@realdawei said:

@jebni said:

Nice one!!

Does this mean no multitasking friendliness? The dots have a utility…

• @realdawei said:

@jebni said:

Ah, yeah, no, it hides it temporarily but tapping still brings it up, which means the play button's constantly being messed with; if you hit play and then want to pause again before the dots hide again, it just brings up the multitasking controls. Just going to have to do an iOS 15 check then move the whole toolbar down 10px. Messy but oh well.

• @Michael said:

@realdawei said:

@jebni said:

Ah, yeah, no, it hides it temporarily but tapping still brings it up, which means the play button's constantly being messed with; if you hit play and then want to pause again before the dots hide again, it just brings up the multitasking controls. Just going to have to do an iOS 15 check then move the whole toolbar down 10px. Messy but oh well.

Ah okay. Thanks

• Silly old Apple. Presumably this is a new easier way to access slideover though and slideover is useful in Loopy?

• Is the beta already available?

• I think Apple painted themselves in a corner with the whole “big iPhone” approach to the iPad, and ten years later we’re really feeling the hurt. Totally understandable, though. They’re trying to invent an intuitive multitasking environment where there are so few affordances. I think we’ll live through this weird period, and @Michael’s conditional logic for moving the toolbar down is a great response.

• @Jeezs said:
    Is the beta already available?

Soon…. :D :p

• @Better_w_headphone said:

@Jeezs said:

Coming.

• Almost > @ashh said:

@Better_w_headphone said:

@Jeezs said:

Coming.

Almost here.

• Wow @Michael the save animation is super sick!

This discussion has been closed.