Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

While we're all cooped up inside, here're some Loopy Pro updates

Comments

• edited April 2021

@Michael a little less transparency or a toggle would be better. The bloom obscures some of the detail see: Dynamics window graticule.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Michael a little less transparency or a toggle would be better. The bloom obscures some of the detail see: Dynamics window graticule.

Maybe it will respect the ‘Reduce Transparency’ setting under Accessibility’s Text & Display settings?

• edited April 2021

@sloJordan said:
    😱 holy shit, floating windows!! that is huge!!!

How would one switch tracks for that bottom bar effects list? As in to the different fx chains of each color group (i think color group was conceptually a "track" if i am remembering correctly?). Is it possible to have windows floating from multiple fx chains at once?

Two ways: in the project set up screen you can select the input channel and colour targets for each effect. And on the play screen, you can drag upwards from the effect bar to a colour to immediately apply that effect to that colour (and repeat the process to undo it).

Yeah you can have as many windows as you like 🤷

• @Samu said:

@audiblevideo said:

Maybe it will respect the ‘Reduce Transparency’ setting under Accessibility’s Text & Display settings?

Oh that’s a good idea! I’m planning on adding a setting somewhere that will disable all of the effects for those who don’t want them, but that’s a much better way to do it.

• edited April 2021

@Michael said:
    Two ways: in the project set up screen you can select the input channel and colour targets for each effect. And on the play screen, you can drag upwards from the effect bar to a colour to immediately apply that effect to that colour (and repeat the process to undo it).

Oh interesting, am I understanding you correctly then that every effect you instantiate will show up in that bottom bar, and those little color dashes on the bottom of each item in the list, show which color targets it is currently applying to?

• @sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

Oh interesting, am I understanding you correctly then that every effect you instantiate will show up in that bottom bar, and those little color dashes on the bottom of each item in the list, show which color targets it is currently applying to?

Yup that’s right. You can hide effects too; some you won’t want to touch after setting them up.

• @Michael said:

@sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

Yup that’s right. You can hide effects too; some you won’t want to touch after setting them up.

Wow, that is super interesting. I may remember you mentioning this earlier in the thread, but if you then assign the same auv3 instance to multiple colour targets, are those targets then mixed together?

• edited April 2021

@sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

@sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

Wow, that is super interesting. I may remember you mentioning this earlier in the thread, but if you then assign the same auv3 instance to multiple colour targets, are those targets then mixed together?

Basically it depends - Loopy constructs a render plan behind the scenes. It may mix groups together to run them all through the same effect, or it might create multiple instances (which happens invisibly, and state is kept synced between the instances).

If, for instance, all the groups have the same effects and output applied, then they’ll be mixed together and run through the same chain. But if for example groups have different output channels selected, it will duplicate the effects to keep the chains separate.

• This sounds amazing!

• @Michael said:

@sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

@sloJordan said:

@Michael said:

Basically it depends - Loopy constructs a render plan behind the scenes. It may mix groups together to run them all through the same effect, or it might create multiple instances (which happens invisibly, and state is kept synced between the instances).

If, for instance, all the groups have the same effects and output applied, then they’ll be mixed together and run through the same chain. But if for example groups have different output channels selected, it will duplicate the effects to keep the chains separate.

Hell ya, that is exactly what I was wondering, thanks! That is actually such a big deal. First of all, love the concept that you just have this pool of effects that you can drag and drop around to different colors without thinking about it. I think that is very in the spirit of loopy, which is like the audio pool equivalent of that. I.e. you don't really have to think about the discrete tracks until you want to.

Second, for live jamming, that would allow you to have master fx that apply to all channels(colour targets), while still being able to record each channel separately on different outputs for later mixing. very cool!

• Yeah that’s the idea!

• edited April 2021

I just sit around thinking.

Thought a good looper might have the best effects. Sort of like a turnado/yellofier. Lets say you are busy making a track. You launch a sample. Sample is on looper. Looper knows threshold. Looper also calculates sample length in relation to a grid of maths. Effects would sound perfect. Stutters etc. Auto pitches. Can be triggered manually or by AI but also with probabilty. Overdubs with also AI effects/probabilty.

• @sigma79 said:

Thought a good looper might have the best effects. Sort of like a turnado/yellofier. Lets say you are busy making a track. You launch a sample. Sample is on looper. Looper knows threshold. Looper also calculates sample length in relation to a grid of maths. Effects would sound perfect. Stutters etc. Auto pitches. Can be triggered manually or by AI but also with probabilty. Overdubs with also AI effects/probabilty.

Some of that's certainly on the cards; loopers/samplers can definitely do things that effects that operate on a stream of audio can't, like playing in reverse.

• @Michael said:

@sigma79 said:

Some of that's certainly on the cards; loopers/samplers can definitely do things that effects that operate on a stream of audio can't, like playing in reverse.

Cool Mike

• Hey Michael, hope you’re doing great! Any sneak peek of the mixer by any chance :D? I’m particularly curious about volume control at track level. It would be great if one could access volume controls and output destination from the main looping view so that we could mix/remix and monitor our loops prior to sending them to the main out. Thanks!

• edited May 2021

+1 for flexible stutter, glitch and rhythmical (patternlike cutting and ordering to rhythmical snippets of the loops) & reverse Effects
    These are the ones which have to be integrated in a looper, because they need access not only resltime-data but access to the whole files and tempo information, to transform them.

• @mccy said:
    +1 for flexible stutter, glitch and rhythmical (patternlike cutting and ordering to rhythmical snippets of the loops) & reverse Effects
    These are the ones which have to be integrated in a looper, because they need access not only resltime-data but access to the whole files and tempo information, to transform them.

I am planning to implement this sort of thing, but if you can be a bit more specific, I can make sure it meets your expectations 😊

• edited May 2021

@wawelt said:
    Hey Michael, hope you’re doing great! Any sneak peek of the mixer by any chance :D? I’m particularly curious about volume control at track level.

Here's the simplified mixer on the main screen:

And the one in the setup screen with master outs and ins:

It would be great if one could access volume controls and output destination from the main looping view so that we could mix/remix and monitor our loops prior to sending them to the main out.

Output destination controls on the main screen can be added, by adding a button to the main screen that assigns particular tracks (either pre-set or via a prompt following button press) to a color that has the channel outputs you want. So, you could have tracks assigned to a color that has no outputs initially, set the levels how you like, then tap that button to assign tracks to a color with outputs configured.

• Just been catching up on this thread. The UI looks lovely.

• @nickneek said:
    Just been catching up on this thread. The UI looks lovely.

Thank you!

• This app could put you on the IOS map as a developer to watch! The developer has created apps for Jimmy Fallon in his youth and has returned to IOS to drop another great product in his middle years.

You'll probably be in your middle years when this one ships.

• Thanks for the answers, pure quality work!

• Is the second quarter still the latest estimate of a release date?

• edited May 2021

@robosardine said:
    Is the second quarter still the latest estimate of a release date?

It is, although it may slip a month or so. That's a pretty informal estimate.

• @McD said:
    This app could put you on the IOS map as a developer to watch! The developer has created apps for Jimmy Fallon in his youth and has returned to IOS to drop another great product in his middle years.

@McD said:
    This app could put you on the IOS map as a developer to watch! The developer has created apps for Jimmy Fallon in his youth and has returned to IOS to drop another great product in his middle years.

😂 I think this guy’s been on that list for at least a decade!

• edited May 2021

@Michael said:

@mccy said:

I am planning to implement this sort of thing, but if you can be a bit more specific, I can make sure it meets your expectations 😊

Oh, wow, I have to think about it. I like the stutters in boss rc 505 and of course the "Beat Repeat" Effect in Ableton. These are things you cannot achieve with a 'normal' effect, because it chops the loop into quarternote/eights/16ths... and then lets you mess around with the rhythmical structure... Maybe even randomize the snippets position in a stepsequencer... This in combinatiin with filtering maybe even Pitch and reverse lets you do whole EDM tracks in two seconds ;-)

• edited May 2021

@Michael said:

@mccy said:

You're planning to host AUv3s, don't you? 😉

Edit: Did I spot thor-like value controls? 😃

• @supadom said:

@McD said:

@McD said:

😂 I think this guy’s been on that list for at least a decade!

@michael created that list by inventing the AudioBus as a hack on MIDI Sysex data passing.
    He's the father of IOS Music "hacking".

I hope he ships his final product soon before his kid has to go away to college.

This thread is just pain full to follow. We're going to defeat Covid-19 and move on to the Covid-22's before we get to enjoy the benefits of state of the art looping. Meanwhile I'm getting one of those damn Boss Pedals to get this monkey off my back. The one with all the buttons and USB audio out or Thunderbolt if it's possible for my new iPad. I need to spent money NOW.

• edited May 2021

Lots of bug fixes and tweaking over the last month with my star beta tester, as Loopy gets ever closer to being ready for wider beta test, then actual release.

A little update on the loop detection thing, just because I was tweaking it today, and lots of you guys helped me out developing it.

Here's Loopy Pro's handsfree looping. Set the approx tempo and duration in advance, and Loopy will automatically punch out, on time. In the video below, I didn't tap to stop recording, that was all Loopy.

Still unclear how robust it'll be in the real world, of course, and I'm sure it won't work for every single use case, but it's fun in the confines of my office.

This discussion has been closed.