Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

While we're all cooped up inside, here're some Loopy Pro updates

Comments

• @wim said:

@Michael said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@fprintf said:

@fattigman said:
    @Michael Novation will sell a lot of those controllers

Between what Michael has just shown and the Atom 2 capabilities I'm really thinking of buying one soon.

Indeed. @Michael We know Loopy Pro is an AU host but can it host AU MIDI?

Oh, yes I think it will, and they’ll serve as just another midi controller for driving instruments or the midi control system (and later the midi will be recordable).

Do you think AU MIDI hosting will be in at initial release? Or not until midi looping is added later on?

Yeah, I plan to make it available from initial release. It won't be in the first beta or two, but I at least plan to add it between then and release.

• Will there be a way to interconnect these nodes/v.ports - daisy chain midiAU?

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Will there be a way to interconnect these nodes/v.ports - daisy chain midiAU?

Convince me =)

• @Michael said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

Convince me =)

I can’t... :smiley:
    I know I would use it, but there are enough hosts for that...
    I guess it’d be useful mostly for generative. On practical side my only concern is midi control over midiAUs - physical port ‘above’ virtual ones, but maybe I’m reading too much into ‘just another midi controller’.
    I’m just too excited to see your concept. 😊

@Michael said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

Convince me =)

I can’t... :smiley:
    I know I would use it, but there are enough hosts for that...
    I guess it’d be useful mostly for generative. On practical side my only concern is midi control over midiAUs - physical port ‘above’ virtual ones, but maybe I’m reading too much into ‘just another midi controller’.
    I’m just too excited to see your concept. 😊

Hehe - okay, fair enough. Yeah, I think that might be a bit too much complication - you can always use another host to handle it and then send the result over Virtual MIDI.

• It’s looking better an better!! Will be a “open” beta? If not I’d like to beta test this jewel, will fit perfectly in my upcoming live set!

• edited February 2021

@Michael said:
    I'll just leave this here... :)

Niiiice!!

“There’s an app for that! It’s really good. I wrote it myself.” - snarky michael

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Michael said:
    I'll just leave this here... :)

Niiiice!!

Woa! Nice indeed! Totally missed this post.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Mos def will buy this!

Now if we can just get Mos Def to use it with Fallon on the Tonight Show...

• I think Fallon should fly Michael out so he can demo it himself😎

• @RJB said:
    I think Fallon should fly Michael out so he can demo it himself😎

Beatboxing for Mos Def... I like it.

• @Artvarg said:
    So what will arrive first Loopy Pro or Atom 2? 😬 All these teasers are making me itchy.

Looks like it’s going to be Atom 2! Hope Loopy Pro will follow shortly :)

• @wawelt said:

@Artvarg said:
    So what will arrive first Loopy Pro or Atom 2? 😬 All these teasers are making me itchy.

That would be really awesome. Haven’t really followed this thread closely, but from the bits I gathered it seems like this will be the app that finally provides a feasible way for AUv3 audio clip launching. Yeah. 🎉

@Michael I know talking about ETA is a minefield, but maybe you could give us a little hint. 😬 Are we talking about the first half of 2021 or the second half or even 2022 🤭

• @Artvarg said:

@wawelt said:

@Artvarg said:

That would be really awesome. Haven’t really followed this thread closely, but from the bits I gathered it seems like this will be the app that finally provides a feasible way for AUv3 audio clip launching. Yeah. 🎉

@Michael I know talking about ETA is a minefield, but maybe you could give us a little hint. 😬 Are we talking about the first half of 2021 or the second half or even 2022 🤭

Read the thread. It has been addressed at least once.

• @Michael I was recently thinking last night about the plethora of iOS devices I have piled up around the house and how it would be cool to more explicitly and seamlessly get them working together. I can imagine handing someone an old iPhone i don’t use while busking or something and capturing a loop from their attempt at beatboxing or something they say. Or using a second iPad to offload some CPU heavy app or workflow.

My first experiment with air dropping files between devices went fine—the transfer was snappy enough. But the overhead of finding the file on one device, exporting to the other, finding it on the other, etc just killed the flow. It’s just not worth it to use the second device. I don’t know if this is possible but it would be cool if Loopy could handle the transaction behind the scenes so the audio file just appeared on a track on the other device. Obviously that can’t happen in real time but that’s ok with me. As long as there was a visual representation that the track arrived in the version of Loopy that I’m working in that’d be great. Anyway, just a thought.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael I was recently thinking last night about the plethora of iOS devices I have piled up around the house and how it would be cool to more explicitly and seamlessly get them working together. I can imagine handing someone an old iPhone i don’t use while busking or something and capturing a loop from their attempt at beatboxing or something they say. Or using a second iPad to offload some CPU heavy app or workflow.

My first experiment with air dropping files between devices went fine—the transfer was snappy enough. But the overhead of finding the file on one device, exporting to the other, finding it on the other, etc just killed the flow. It’s just not worth it to use the second device. I don’t know if this is possible but it would be cool if Loopy could handle the transaction behind the scenes so the audio file just appeared on a track on the other device. Obviously that can’t happen in real time but that’s ok with me. As long as there was a visual representation that the track arrived in the version of Loopy that I’m working in that’d be great. Anyway, just a thought.

It’s a nice thought but considering this is months away from being released and the feature set as stated would be a miracle, especially for iOS, if it works properly—and considering all the tweaks and features that people will be requesting during testing, all focused on what it’s already designed to do…well…

I’m just saying this guy has been working on this feature set for years and years and your request is kind of a whole diff category of feature we wish iOS could do. With lots of apps, not just an unreleased Loopy Pro.

• @SealTeamSick said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael I was recently thinking last night about the plethora of iOS devices I have piled up around the house and how it would be cool to more explicitly and seamlessly get them working together. I can imagine handing someone an old iPhone i don’t use while busking or something and capturing a loop from their attempt at beatboxing or something they say. Or using a second iPad to offload some CPU heavy app or workflow.

It’s a nice thought but considering this is months away from being released and the feature set as stated would be a miracle, especially for iOS, if it works properly—and considering all the tweaks and features that people will be requesting during testing, all focused on what it’s already designed to do…well…

I’m just saying this guy has been working on this feature set for years and years and your request is kind of a whole diff category of feature we wish iOS could do. With lots of apps, not just an unreleased Loopy Pro.

Def not expecting something like this anytime soon. I was more interested in how feasible it is at a high level.

• I’ve just re-read the entire thread trying to find more info on routing capabilities of Loopy Pro. Michael confirmed that it will handle multiple inputs, however I’m wondering how it’s going to work on the output side. Will we be able to route each track independently where we want? A dream would be if each track could be routed into a bus like in AUM allowing placing FX on an entire stack of tracks. Also, when it comes to future MIDI looping, is Loopy going to be able to host Auv3 instruments directly in standalone mode?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

I've been thinking about possibly adding collaboration features in the future, like a shared workspace, both over local and over internet. One day!

• @Michael said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I've been thinking about possibly adding collaboration features in the future, like a shared workspace, both over local and over internet. One day!

Awesome, glad to hear it.

• @wawelt said:
    I’ve just re-read the entire thread trying to find more info on routing capabilities of Loopy Pro. Michael confirmed that it will handle multiple inputs, however I’m wondering how it’s going to work on the output side. Will we be able to route each track independently where we want? A dream would be if each track could be routed into a bus like in AUM allowing placing FX on an entire stack of tracks. Also, when it comes to future MIDI looping, is Loopy going to be able to host Auv3 instruments directly in standalone mode?

Yep to all - audio output is setup per-group (represented by track color), and you can have as many groups as you like. You also target groups with effects, and can target multiple groups with the same effect. Loopy automatically handles allocation of resources, so if you put an effect on several groups, it'll stack them first, then apply the effect, but only when it makes sense; if, for example, you have an effect applied to two groups with different audio outputs, it will actually create two effect modules under the hood (including AUv3 audio units, with automatic state mirroring), and apply them to each.

Loopy can already have AUv3 instruments, and supports a range of MIDI inputs including hardware (with channel filtering, sub-range selection and transpose built-in), virtual MIDI, and AUv3 MIDI audio units.

• This is pure gold, Michael, I can now see why one would use Loopy Pro in standalone mode rather than auv3. Functionality, stability and low latency. I already feel how awesome that will be to host Drambo in Loopy. Can’t wait!

• edited March 2021

:+1: :+1:

• So excited. Is there any way to enter beta testing?

• edited March 2021

@mccy said:
    So excited. Is there any way to enter beta testing?

Soon – I’ll post out an invitation when I’m ready (Including here). Just doing some smaller scale things first.

• @wawelt said:
    Functionality, stability and low latency. I already feel how awesome that will be to host Drambo in Loopy.

Exactly!

• It’s so encouraging that this is built ground up to be a host. For the longest time (and since I supported zenaud.io from the beginning and saw it fail) it just never made sense to me that a live looping workflow would work on that level in iOS because it would require so much to get everything with a host to work together reliably. Genius to have the one guy who can see the hurdles and knows how to make it a robust standalone app that hosts. The hype is palpable!

• edited March 2021

I’m about to jump on a Maschine+ the only thing keeping me on this side of the cliff is the prospect of Loopy Pro.

This discussion has been closed.