Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

While we're all cooped up inside, here're some Loopy Pro updates

Comments

• edited May 2020

@Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:
    To be honest I’m not sure if understood the concept of the video , but it reminded me to post a FR:

• when recording a loop (non predefined number of measures) ,sometimes mistakenly, I don’t stop the recording in time so loopy continues recording until the next beat . So I’d really love the Pro version to start the loop immediately and few msec ahead from start to keep in sync.
      Hope it makes :)

That's what it does. You don't have to stop recording in time, you just stop playing and Loopy Pro will find the correct stop time for you.

Cool :) But there is a big gap in the video , that’s why I got confused. Shouldn’t the sound start immediately?

It needs to wait for your silence to know transients then when to loop. This is user friendly and a must have for loops production, but for real-time live performance oldschool pedalboard for «  tap in tap out » is still the best way to go.

• @Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:
    To be honest I’m not sure if understood the concept of the video , but it reminded me to post a FR:

• when recording a loop (non predefined number of measures) ,sometimes mistakenly, I don’t stop the recording in time so loopy continues recording until the next beat . So I’d really love the Pro version to start the loop immediately and few msec ahead from start to keep in sync.

That's what it does. You don't have to stop recording in time, you just stop playing and Loopy Pro will find the correct stop time for you.

Cool :) But there is a big gap in the video , that’s why I got confused. Shouldn’t the sound start immediately?

No because you can't preview the future 100% until it has arrived 😁

• @Janosax said:

@Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

It needs to wait for your silence to know transients then when to loop. This is user friendly and a must have for loops production, but for real-time live performance oldschool pedalboard for «  tap in tap out » is still the best way to go.

So it’s different thing than mistakenly-delayed-tap-out -> instant loop (instead of waiting next bar) ?

• @Korakios said:

@Janosax said:

@Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

So it’s different thing than mistakenly-delayed-tap-out -> instant loop (instead of waiting next bar) ?

I can't read Michael's mind but I guess what he wants is to give you the chance to play as many bars as you like and only if you stop, the app will calculate the (presumably) correct number of bars and start playing the properly cut loop.

• @rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

@Janosax said:

@Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

I can't read Michael's mind but I guess what he wants is to give you the chance to play as many bars as you like and only if you stop, the app will calculate the (presumably) correct number of bars and start playing the properly cut loop.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, ok! Thanks :)

• @Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

@Janosax said:

@Korakios said:

@rs2000 said:

@Korakios said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, ok! Thanks :)

Yep, that’s why the pause – just to make sure you don’t get cut off by mistake. I might reduce it a bit, though.

But when I’m finished tweaking it, you’ll be able to set a length in bars in advance and Loopy will just recognise the tempo live and then stop immediately after that many bars so you will have no delay at all; it would be as if you punched in and out at exactly the right moment.

It’ll also be there to tighten up loops even if you do punch in and out at the right time, although you’ll be able to turn that feature off if you don’t like it.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael that is magic! Say I play something in 3/4--will it only play back in 3/4 if I set the time signature before hand?

@0tolerance4silence said:
    I think the point is that you don't have to set even time signature ahead... at least I hope so... once your loop is done it'll calculate everything.

Haven’t done much experimentation with recognising different time signatures yet – depending on the audio that might be a very difficult task, but I intend to try. Worst case scenario, you’ll just have to set the time signature in advance and it will figure the rest out

• Well in endless, like I said you can take the metronome off but there is still a bpm in the back that you need to set with metronome on or off. Usually with real loopers, you know the 1st loop usually sets the tempo and the rest follow the 1st. That's my preferred way of doing it. I don't think endless allows you to do that. Everything is somehow bpm based.

I've been using Mobius looper (free soft) for a long time and the way I set it up for percussion is I use threshold based recording. I would hit a pad to put it in record mode and it would start recording when sound comes in and it would loop when I hit another pad on the downbeat. There's another pad for overdub also. That way you can do anything at any tempo or time sig. If you mess up well it shows. I guess I'm old school too on that.

@supadom said:

@paradiddle said:
    Not sure what u mean about endless having some voodoo but by default everything is quantized to the tempo. If u take the quantize off there won’t be any voodoo magic there and if your rhythm is off u’ll hear it.

@Michael Hi, Will there be > @ecamburn said:

This seems like a productive direction @Michael. Endless has some similar voodo magic (the good kind) baked into its looper that makes looping a very smooth flowing and enjoyable experience.

Also when it comes to being extra sloppy while recording with quantise on some notes might get put on the wrong grid line.

I still believe folks attempting at playing live should try to improve their timing before relying on software. I’m probably too old school though.

• Ah okay, yeah this isn’t like that. No need to set a tempo first, it figures it out from analysing the audio. Big usability improvement I think.

• @Michael said:
    Ah okay, yeah this isn’t like that. No need to set a tempo first, it figures it out from analysing the audio. Big usability improvement I think.

If I understand correctly you set a number of bars and Loopy Pro automatically calculate the tempo from transient analysis while recording first loop and will punch out automatically? Is there also an adjustable threasold for punch in detection?

• @Janosax said:

@Michael said:
    Ah okay, yeah this isn’t like that. No need to set a tempo first, it figures it out from analysing the audio. Big usability improvement I think.

If I understand correctly you set a number of bars and Loopy Pro automatically calculate the tempo from transient analysis while recording first loop and will punch out automatically? Is there also an adjustable threasold for punch in detection?

Yep that’s right. No, it’s not a threshold but a series of tuned heuristics - but it works independently of level so there’s no need to adjust.

• @Michael said:

@Janosax said:

@Michael said:

Yep that’s right. No, it’s not a threshold but a series of tuned heuristics - but it works independently of level so there’s no need to adjust.

@Michael: I wonder if the issue that someone was raising about cases where the starting transient might not be captured right could be dealt with by keeping a hidden buffer for the loops audio that includes audio from before recording starts and continues a letter after -- with the possibility of adjusting the start and/or end point with some of your brilliantly friendly gestures.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:

@Janosax said:

@Michael said:

@Michael: I wonder if the issue that someone was raising about cases where the starting transient might not be captured right could be dealt with by keeping a hidden buffer for the loops audio that includes audio from before recording starts and continues a letter after -- with the possibility of adjusting the start and/or end point with some of your brilliantly friendly gestures.

Actually capturing transients correctly is an important integral part of this algorithm so it won’t be an issue.

• I hope that the ability to manually trim the beginning and end of loops is still intended. This could be enormously useful. For instance, being able to play past the end of what you want to loop, then being able to dial back the ending manually. Or, to record a long clip, then select a portion from the middle to loop.

This got mentioned some time back. I hope it's still in the plans.

• I’d have been happy with threshold recording and a reskin but that tech and video demo is really impressive !

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@wim said:
    I hope that the ability to manually trim the beginning and end of loops is still intended. This could be enormously useful. For instance, being able to play past the end of what you want to loop, then being able to dial back the ending manually. Or, to record a long clip, then select a portion from the middle to loop.

It would be even better if this was completely flexible, for instance, if you played roughly 8 bars, being able to select and create a new loop of a four bar section starting at bar 7 and ending after bar 3.

[edit] I guess this could be accomplished with the familiar "twist" motion to set the start, and then a simple trim of the loop length. So, maybe all that's needed is the existing "twist" with the ability to trim the loop to any length.

• @wim said:

@wim said:
    I hope that the ability to manually trim the beginning and end of loops is still intended. This could be enormously useful. For instance, being able to play past the end of what you want to loop, then being able to dial back the ending manually. Or, to record a long clip, then select a portion from the middle to loop.

It would be even better if this was completely flexible, for instance, if you played roughly 8 bars, being able to select and create a new loop of a four bar section starting at bar 7 and ending after bar 3.

[edit] I guess this could be accomplished with the familiar "twist" motion to set the start, and then a simple trim of the loop length. So, maybe all that's needed is the existing "twist" with the ability to trim the loop to any length.

Yeah I’m still planning on doing this

• I don’t think I’ve mentioned this publicly yet, but I’m also planning for a feature that allows intro and outro components for every loop. It’ll work via UI which has beginning and end handles which you can drag forward/backward, and the area before and after you can select to either not play, or play as an intro/outro section

• edited May 2020

@Michael That would be fantastic, especially if there's some kind of "Time Machine Recording" that will always capture incoming audio and make the 2..4 seconds audio before actually hitting REC available. Think about two people, one playing an instrument and a friend operating Loopy Pro to pick the best phrases. You don't know it's a good improvised idea until you hear it 😊

It's a great feature in Ableton Live or Logic Pro.

• edited May 2020

@Michael said:
    I don’t think I’ve mentioned this publicly yet, but I’m also planning for a feature that allows intro and outro components for every loop. It’ll work via UI which has beginning and end handles which you can drag forward/backward, and the area before and after you can select to either not play, or play as an intro/outro section

Fantastic!!!

@wim said:

@wim said:

Great idea!!

• @rs2000 said:
    @Michael That would be fantastic, especially if there's some kind of "Time Machine Recording" that will always capture incoming audio and make the 2..4 seconds audio before actually hitting REC available. Think about two people, one playing an instrument and a friend operating Loopy Pro to pick the best phrases. You don't know it's a good improvised idea until you hear it 😊

It's a great feature in Ableton Live or Logic Pro.

That’s called lookahead recording, and yes, it’s already in there

• 😮😃

• this is going to be so great

• @reasOne said:
    this is going to be so great

🤘

• @Michael said:
    ......It’ll also be there to tighten up loops even if you do punch in and out at the right time, although you’ll be able to turn that feature off if you don’t like it.

This sounds great! And will definitely be the way I will be using this feature.

• This is great. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Just kidding, I'm eager to hear about all updates on Loopy Pro. Loopy HD is one of my oldest and most favorite apps, I can only imagine the thought and creativity that is going into making Pro just the next few levels better.

• @Michael So the blue balls will do audio enso style and the red balls will do midi note + CC fugue/ photon style?
    In my dreams at least😎

• Loopy Pro will be a separate app or an update of the classical Loopy?

• @Michael said:
    Check it out, here's a very early first-cut - next is to refine the mode that lets you pre-set the length and have it start seamlessly as soon as it records the set number of bars.

So cool.

• I've posted on a new thread (just to get some more eyeballs, I hope) a request for some help assembling a training data set for this, if anyone's up for it:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38961/loopy-pro-and-automatic-loop-finding-can-you-help-me-with-training-data

This discussion has been closed.