Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Simple Sampler controlled from Foot Controller

Based on searches, I know this subject has been approached a lot, so I apologize if this is beating a dead horse. But, being a novice in this area of things, I'm hoping I can get some clarification/advice from all of you experienced folk. :)

I currently use Loopy HD and love it using an Ipad2. I'm looking to use a sampler, such as a one-off pre-loaded wave that will be triggered by a foot controller. Loopy HD can do this, but it requires triggering the wave on and off, and Loopy doesn't seem really designed for that. I currently use a Griffin Studio Connect (amazing device) and a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller. It being audiobus compatible would be nice as I can see applications of me running a sample into Loopy.

Thanks in advance for any help! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Most of the midi controllable drum apps should fit the bill. DM1, for instance, will let you load samples and play them from a midi device. You'll need to program the FCB to send the correct notes. Nanostudio and Beatmaker will do it too if you have either of those. DM1 has 9 slots, NS has 16 and BeatMaker 48. NS and BM can of course have more instruments loaded into memory (and on separate midi channels). NS has 15 slots, not sure if BM has a limit.

• Thanks for the suggestions syrupcore.

I'm assuming based on features, that DM1 would be the least taxing on the ipad2? I've read about how much system processes BeatMaker uses. I've searched but I can't find any info on limits for importing audio samples into DM1. Do you know if DM1 does have a limit on how long of a sample you can import? DM1 does look nice though, and I dig the interface of it.

• edited March 2014

I'm not sure. Beatmaker and NanoStudio are pretty efficient, particularly NanoStudio. They're (along with multitrack daw and thumbjam) sort of the old salty dogs of iOS music "We used to sail the sees with nothing but a sheet for a sail, an old door for a boat and strings to catch fish - and we liked it". They're all written initially for the iPhone 3G(s?) and as a consequence have code efficiency baked in - because there was no choice! I'm new to beatmaker but can say with confidence that all of those other apps are really efficient. Speaking of Thumbjam, you could in theory do what you want in there as well by building a mulitsampled instrument and setting the range to the key you want.

All that said, I have no idea about DM1s efficiency. Seems fine. I'm just saying I woudn't write off the others. I run NS with other apps all the time without a hiccup on my iPad 3 (which is hiccup prone). And the process of setting up your sound banks will be much more pleasant in NS than it is in DM1, from my experience. You can copy all of your samples to your iPad with NanoSync keeping folders intact and then import away. Beatmaker has a crap file system but it does offer DropBox integration which is really handy.

I'd get NS if I were you (all that you want + good effects) but I'm a an unabashed fanboy. :)

• Thank you so much for the suggestions. I think NanoStudio sounds like the way to go. Much appreciated!
    -Patrick