Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

4th Gen 2020 Ipad Pro 12.9 released

Comments

• @dendy said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Lets see how that chip handles audio

It has A12Z CPU not A13 (which is in latest iPhone models) ... they increased number of GFX chips (obviously AR performance is they primary goal)... based on fact it is same serie as A12 chip i guess performance for audio apps will be +/- same like 2018 PRO / 2019 MINI/Air models ...

All the X-model chips of Apple do have more bandwith for memory.

• @bert said:

@dendy said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Lets see how that chip handles audio

It has A12Z CPU not A13 (which is in latest iPhone models) ... they increased number of GFX chips (obviously AR performance is they primary goal)... based on fact it is same serie as A12 chip i guess performance for audio apps will be +/- same like 2018 PRO / 2019 MINI/Air models ...

All the X-model chips of Apple do have more bandwith for memory.

In theory yes .. real-work tests with number of instances clearly proven that real performance difference between A12x and A12 for audio apps is very close to nothing .. just very small ..

• edited March 2020

So since first geekbench measures are in it seems indeed its quite the same in cpu. Even the graphic performance seems not that much bigger. But not sure how accurate the geekbench thing is.
    That means if you use it mainly for audio it might not worth a upgrade until you not use a much older one.
    So does that mean they might really make another upgrade by end of this year or will the next generation now takes another 1 1/2 years from now.
    I cannot imagine the iPhone get a A14 or something and iPads stay at a 12Z for the next 1-2 years.
    Maybe they also now reached the limit in such a thin device and cpu upgrades now really slows down like we see with X86 chips.
    But if anyway just the single core is important for iOS music apps it might stay a bottle neck and we have to wait for multi-core support for big jumps now.
    Also if we trust geekbench the iPhone 11 seems the fastest iOS device for music then and even faster single core as the latest macbook pro. So i don´t know if these numbers tell anything for real performance holding longer than a few seconds.
    Strange. Now i might wait and see if they do not really release at least a A13X or A14X within a year which might bring a bigger jump.

• That’s a shame. I think it might be good idea to start an AUM iPad benchmark thread sometime with shareable test projects which people with different Pro and non pro iPads can compare performance. It would be good to see that instead of those geekbench numbers.

• @Clueless : instead of 1 processor with 8 cores and multithreading Apple should put 8 processors with one core and in some way combine their strength as 1 super core :) and then release the product under the name "iPad music scene edition" for musicians, we can only dream about it :)

@Carnbot : this is a very good idea, we can do the project in AUM and share it. To play some arpegio in a loop on some AUv3 sound (ex. Audiokit Synth One) and increase the amount of tracks until it starts to choke. The last track without choke will be the results in our music benchmark :) I can do test on iPad Pro 9,7" with A9X and 2 GB RAM, but someone with more experience than me should preapere and describe test. I can collect the data and prepare table and chart :)

• edited April 2020

@dakti said:
    @Clueless : instead of 1 processor with 8 cores and multithreading Apple should put 8 processors with one core and in some way combine their strength as 1 super core :) and then release the product under the name "iPad music scene edition" for musicians, we can only dream about it :)

@Carnbot : this is a very good idea, we can do the project in AUM and share it. To play some arpegio in a loop on some AUv3 sound (ex. Audiokit Synth One) and increase the amount of tracks until it starts to choke. The last track without choke will be the results in our music benchmark :) I can do test on iPad Pro 9,7" with A9X and 2 GB RAM, but someone with more experience than me should preapere and describe test. I can collect the data and prepare table and chart :)

Yes a synth like Synth One which is free could be a good choice to do it with. But I think it probably should be an AUv3 compatible synth and plugins? so that the whole project can be saved. Moog Model D could be a good one as it's currently free and CPU heavy, so everyone should have this? even if you can't have layers you can have instances.

I suggest it should be done on every latency setting (6 in AUM) and also every sample rate (4)
    Perhaps a 30 second midi file. Photon AU could be a good one to use because it can load midi files so could have a variation of different patterns in the file to test the hardware.

although of course the point is anyone can do it and add results so no one has to do every possible combination, as it will take a long time to test every sample rate etc :)

• Went to the Swedish retail company Webhallen this weekend for buying some protection to my new iPhone 11 Pro, but, left that place with a new iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 generation...

Damn Apple for brainwashing us fanboys... Now then, sitting here with five different iPads, but, still waiting for the mood to begin musicmaking again...

Perhaps I should at least buy Drambo and test out the new iPad Pro 2020...

• One big thing on my new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9” (compair to the old 12.9” 2nd generation) is that I can use external USB harddrives WITHOUT external powersupply... Great!

Wonderful to put in a 2TB disk and copy files direct over to the iPad or on the iCloud Drive...

• The 6gb ram is tempting for sure... I’ll probably hold off for now because I just bought so many different lightning dongles, but that 6gb ram thoooo

• Don’t kill me. I’ve bought a new iPad pro 12.9 1 tb, previously I had the pro 2018, 12.9 256 Gbr.
    I’m using them one next to the other. They are exactly the same. Same speed, same cpu consumption in AUM😂😂😂if some one will tell me to guess which one in the 2020 by only using it, it will be impossible to guess. But if You want to make the switch because you are a compulsive buyer like me it is a great piece of hardware for sure.

• edited May 2020

There are leaks that a new iPad Pro is coming this Fall :neutral: If this is true, people who bought iPad Pro 2020 (4th gen.) will want to kill Tim Cook for sure. I also consider buying the current Pro 2020, but the news about a new Pro in the same year - that kind of situation had place with iPad 3th and 4th generation on March/November 2012 - stop me from buying.

• edited May 2020

couldnt wait anymore got fed up with ipad gen6. getting my pro 2020 next week, 11” 128gb

• @dakti said:
    There are leaks that a new iPad Pro is coming this Fall :neutral: If this is true, people who bought iPad Pro 2020 (4th gen.) will want to kill Tim Cook for sure. I also consider buying the current Pro 2020, but the news about a new Pro in the same year - that kind of situation had place with iPad 3th and 4th generation on March/November 2012 - stop me from buying.

Reminds me of when I bought my first iOS device, an iPad 3, and six months later they came out with the iPad 4.

• @MarkR said:

@dakti said:

Reminds me of when I bought my first iOS device, an iPad 3, and six months later they came out with the iPad 4.

Yes got caught by that aswell the 3 was not the best but it lasted me 4 years.

• edited May 2020

@Jumpercollins said:

@MarkR said:

@dakti said:

Yes got caught by that aswell the 3 was not the best but it lasted me 4 years.

Same here but I kept it 5 years with a cracked screen.

The first gen were the worst. The ram was way to low. The ones we had at work were abandoned fast.

• I started with iPad 2 (16 GB) it was a great feeling, the first tablet :) Next was AIR 1 (128 GB) and currently PRO 9.7" (128 GB). But it's time for changes. I am wondering between older PRO 10.5" (512 GB) or PRO 2020 11" (512 GB). I love iPads and can not live without them ;)

• Hello guys!

A little OT to music making on ours iPads, but, is it anybody here owning the newest iPad Pro 2020 12.9” ?

A have problem with my ’Automatic Screen Brightness’ - I must always adjust my brightness manual every time the arounding brightness changed (like dark rooms, outside, etc...).

There should be an switch in the Settings for enabling this functions, but, on my iPad Pro 2020 it’s missing?

I’m on iPadOS 14 beta 8... Can that be the problem? I don’t remember when this Automatic Screen Brightness was lost...

Thanks in advance!

• Just to confirm, it should be here:

Go to Settings > Accessibility.

Tap Display & Text Size, then turn on Auto-Brightness.

It's a mystery why they didn't put this in the "display and brightness" settings though.
    I don't have new ipad 2020, just 2017 but it should be the same. Unless ios 14 beta has a bug.

• @Carnbot said:
    Just to confirm, it should be here:

It's a mystery why they didn't put this in the "display and brightness" settings though.
    I don't have new ipad 2020, just 2017 but it should be the same. Unless ios 14 beta has a bug.

Yeah, probably a bug - it doesn’t show up in the settings...
    Perhaps someone else with my config can confirm this?

• @Carnbot said:

Just for info, I just now installed iPadOS 14 beta 8 on my old iPad Pro 10.5” (2017), and, the setting is there on that device... Strange?

So, probably not a specific bug in betaversions on iPadOS14...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Carnbot said:

Just for info, I just now installed iPadOS 14 beta 8 on my old iPad Pro 10.5” (2017), and, the setting is there on that device... Strange?

So, probably not a specific bug in betaversions on iPadOS14...

Does look like a bug specific to that device, I'd send a report to Apple, it should be there on that device too.

• @dakti said: I am wondering between older PRO 10.5" (512 GB) or PRO 2020 11" (512 GB).

and it hapenned... I decided to wait for the Pro with the A14x and buy it when the price drops a bit. Meanwhile, I bought today in a reasonable price Pro 10.5" 512GB as an upgrade to the current Pro 9.7" 128 GB. I don't know if it was a wise choice at the end of 2020, but at least it have mini jack port ;) I am curious if Apple will present the iPad Air 4 this Tuesday and what it will look like.

For me there is no turning back from 4 speakers to 2 speakers, and when I start using the Pro 10.5" there will probably also be no turning back from the 120 Hz display to 60 Hz. I wish to iPad Air 4 have 4 speakers, 120 Hz, A13 chip, 4 GB RAM, mini jack port, much better price from Pro 2020, however I'm afraid 120 Hz is reserved for Pro only. Can't wait to see iPad Air 4 specification.

What is yours specification prediction for iPad Air 4?

• edited September 2020

for sure ; usb-c, no hp jack ,smart conn for magic keyboard, 60hz lcd.
    wildcard;bionic 14 and 4gb ram, no faceID , fingerprint under the screen or side

• @dakti, congrats, you will love it!

• @LinearLineman said: dakti, congrats, you will love it!

Thanks LinearLineman, it will certainly be so, I am waiting for the delivery

@noob said: for sure ; usb-c, no hp jack, smart conn for magic keyboard, 60hz lcd, wildcard, bionic 14 and 4gb ram, no faceID, fingerprint under the screen or side

Everything correct :) I am after watching the Apple speech. It has 4 speakers too :) I like it. They didn't mention about the RAM, have to wait for confirmation. I just don't know why it has 10.9" instead of 11", they have 11" screen already and can use it. Additionally it is an additional work for the developer who have to adjusting the application to all different resolutions which increases every year.

• the best bang for buck is prolly the new (budget) iPad,, its basically last year’s iPad Air, rebranded and with a price cut to $329

• @noob said:
    the best bang for buck is prolly the new (budget) iPad,, its basically last year’s iPad Air, rebranded and with a price cut to $329

I don’t think it has the laminated screen. If you’re coming from an air that will be an issue. Not so much if not.

• @noob said:
    the best bang for buck is prolly the new (budget) iPad,, its basically last year’s iPad Air, rebranded and with a price cut to $329

I agree with that. But it always depend on what you are doing with your iPad.

• edited September 2020

yaman im shafted already with my 900$ ipad pro 2020... no regrets, love the 120hz butter

• @noob said: love the 120hz butter

yep, AIR 2020 do not have 120Hz, also have only 1 and worse camera, 2 GB less RAM, no Lidar, probably only 2 speakers, and despite A14 can have also worse GPU (4 core vs 8 core in A12z) we will see in benchmarks