Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which iOS Synth is somewhat similar to Serum?

Again and again, I watch some YouTube video that uses "Serum".

I seem to like how this Synth works, what it can do and how it is designed.

Is there anything remotely similar to it on iOS?

I mostly dabble around with presets, but I think, with a Synth similar to Serum, I may dive deeper and try out more things.

Thanks for any hint :)

Comments

• The PPG quartet will go much further than Serum if you are willing to dig deep. The more PPG you own the more you can do. They have plenty of free sound banks to download if you don’t want to go down the rabbit hole!

Nave is outstanding as well.

Those more than cover my wavetable needs.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    The PPG quartet will go much further than Serum if you are willing to dig deep. The more PPG you own the more you can do. They have plenty of free sound banks to download if you don’t want to go down the rabbit hole!

PPG?

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    The PPG quartet will go much further than Serum if you are willing to dig deep. The more PPG you own the more you can do. They have plenty of free sound banks to download if you don’t want to go down the rabbit hole!

I own PPG Infinite, but this is WaveTable only, or?

Serum seems to be able to use simple standard Sinewave, Sawtooth, and so on, like on regular subtractive synthesis.
    Did I missunderstand Serum?

If not, can PGP do this as well?

• Synthmaster One can do both.. you can even import the original Serum wave files... and it s free today :D

• tjatja
    edited March 2020

@tobi77 said:
    Synthmaster One can do both.. you can even import the original Serum wave files... and it s free today :D

Many thanks, I own this as well and will check it deeper now.
    It had some issues earlier, but those seem to be fixed now - but I did not yet have a look at it again.

• edited March 2020

But the filters and FX in Serum sound much better.

• WTKWTK
    edited March 2020

SynthMaster One is similar because it has algorithms like sync and bend (like warp modes in serum) for each oscillator section and comes with a heap of waveforms, wave tables, samples etc.

Btw I don’t own Serum. I only know about it from YouTube videos and their manual. But it looks pretty similar.

And SynthMaster one has awesome zdf filters which sound all very juicy to my ears especially modulated.

And iirc PPG Infinite is not a pure wave table synth. It loads and analyses wavetables but transforms them somehow into sinusoids which then can be modulated like a wave table. Maybe something like an advanced wave table Synthesizer.

• I don't own PPG, but I thought it loaded and analyzed soundfiles and converts them into wavetables.

• Wavegenerator and Wavemapper allow you to create your own wavetables while Infinite is likely the most user-friendly synth, better for people who don't want to invest the time to create custom wavetables.

Another WT synth that is very easy to use yet fairly capable and 16-part multitimbral:
    Groove Rider. It will also load your Serum-format wavetables.

• edited March 2020

Synthmaster One and Obsidian... don't think there is other synth which with at least approximate amount of modulation posibilities like Serum (which is best part of Serum for me - not huge amount of wavetables but it's engine and modulation posibilities) ..

both which i mentioned are of course lacking some Serum features... but it is most close you can get to Serum on iOS ...

it would be my fullfiled dream to have Serum ported on iOS :-) Unfortunately it will never happen, Steve Duda mentioned in some i terview that some parts of code are very old and a it hard to port to different OS, so there is no chance..

• @dendy said:
    Synthmaster One and Obsidian... don't think there is other synth which with at least approximate amount of modulation posibilities like Serum .. both which i mentioned are lacking some features of Serum of course... but it is most close you can get to Serum on iOS ...

it would be my fullfiled dream to have Serum ported on iOS :-)

Hi @dendy, what's the file format for Obsidian wavetables?

• internal matt's format... atm you cannot import own wavetables... maybe one day importing external wavetables will be possible, but considering huge todo list, i'm not too much optimistic in short term..

• PPG quartet = Wavegenerator + Wavemapper + Phonem + Infinite

You can transfer many different file types between those.

The developer invented Wavetable synthesis in the late 70s and is still pushing the envelope.

Highly underrated synths, they do take a good bit of time to get your head around but it’s well worth the investment.

• @tobi77 said:
    But the filters and FX in Serum sound much better.

The filters are o.k. but the FX are weak (for me st least).
    I always wonder whats the fuss is about Serum.
    After using the demo i find it cold and thin.
    Great for digital sounds, nice GUI and the modulation system is indeed great.
    It would not be in my Top 10 list.
    The default presets belongs to the worst of any synth. So i liked it a bit better when i did my own but still, just o.K.

• edited March 2020

The thing I can’t find on iOS is the way the control surface works, as @Clueless points out connecting the various params to each other or the many LFOs and LFO params, click or touch and drag is easy and intuitive, which really encourages sound design
    It’s much more raw and digital than the PPG stuff, though easy to warm up. (buy all PPG anyway)

• @tobi77 said:
    both which i mentioned are of course lacking some Serum features... but it is most close you can get to Serum on iOS ...

it would be my fullfiled dream to have Serum ported on iOS :-) Unfortunately it will never happen, Steve Duda mentioned in some i terview that some parts of code are very old and a it hard to port to different OS, so there is no chance..

Wait for SynthMaster 2 iOS :D

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@tobi77 said:

Wait for SynthMaster 2 iOS :d

Can't wait !!! In case you will be interested in beta testing and possible some factory presets sound design, i'm ready (you can check my work - around 230 patches in Nanostudio Obsidian factory bank is my work, so probably you have good chance if you check random 10-20 patches that lot of them are mine :))

• @dendy said:
    Can't wait !!! In case you will be interested in beta testing and possible some factory presets sound design, i'm ready (you can check my work - around 230 patches in Nanostudio Obsidian factory bank is my work, so probably you have good chance if you check random 10-20 patches that lot of them are mine :))

Do you have any audio demos/videos?

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@tobi77 said:

Wait for SynthMaster 2 iOS :D

Oh.

Any information about this?
    Changes to SM One?
    ETA?
    Beta testers needed?

• @dendy said:
    Synthmaster One and Obsidian... don't think there is other synth which with at least approximate amount of modulation posibilities like Serum (which is best part of Serum for me - not huge amount of wavetables but it's engine and modulation posibilities) ..

I’m not so sure about that....

• Absolutely nothing on iOS is comparable to Serum.

• Synthmaster very similar to Serum. FX are worse, modulation less handy. Instead in Synthmaster you can load watetables as lfo and use that complex waveforms as modulation sources. We’re going to mutable tides territory here. Also Synthmaster has juicy filters. And sub osc which you can use for ring, amp, phase or fm modulation. And MPE

• Also not Continua from Audio Damage?

• Synthmaster is not very similar to Serum at all, Serum has more parameters/control in its wavetable drawing/morphing/editing of shapes than Synthmaster has for its entire plugin, nothing compares to Serum.
    Nobody is saying Synthmaster is bad and it is the closest you might get to Serumnon iOS, but it is not similar or even comparable.

• For me Nave.
    Like it even more than Serum.
    (my favorite wavetable synth i would like to see on iOS would be Icarus 2)

• edited June 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Synthmaster is not very similar to Serum at all, Serum has more parameters/control in its wavetable drawing/morphing/editing of shapes than Synthmaster has for its entire plugin, nothing compares to Serum.
    Nobody is saying Synthmaster is bad and it is the closest you might get to Serumnon iOS, but it is not similar or even comparable.

Biggest advantage of Serum is quality of it's wavetable engine. Steve mentioned in interview that this engine was developed based on some insane math made by some mathematician for him, this makes it sound waaay much better than any other synth. Of course there are also other details - modulation capabilities, decent filters, good FXs - but center is that amazing sounding wavetable engine.

I really don't see much chances to transfer serum to iOS - with all current limitations in terms of UI - limited space, it must be resizable, etc - to me it looks like almost mission impossible...

• @Clueless said:
    For me Nave.

no one has ever touched Nave in wavetable control- they master the technology- and it still sounds the best- not as brittle/dry as most wavetable synths- Nave also has very good effects and one of the best sounding filters ever-

• edited June 2020

Serum on iOS - Yes! - one of de bess!

Bless

King

———-

It would/will be brill.

(Optimistic here!)

• @setAI said:

@Clueless said:
    For me Nave.

no one has ever touched Nave in wavetable control- they master the technology- and it still sounds the best- not as brittle/dry as most wavetable synths- Nave also has very good effects and one of the best sounding filters ever-

I think it’s a gorgeous instrument and I wish it would be updated to keep it current (not the instrument itself but the tech).

I’ve often thought of getting Largo. Anyone have that?

• edited June 2020

I hope Scythe can move us closer to Serum level.

We'll see..

King