Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

For those that upgraded to Cubasis 3 from Cubasis 2. Was it worth it?

Comments

• For actually making tunes: no. I will never use it for that until they improve simply moving clips (events) and tracks on the timeline. C2 was eventually solid. C3 is both buggy on my 2017 ipads (pro and base) and missing basic 'features' or functionality that C2 had. The first update seemed to fix a lot of other things (apparently) but not the things that made it instantly unusable for me.

For mastering: maybe. I can re-arrange AU fx now. But is that worth 80+$ ? It really should have been possible in C2 in the 21st century.

• I dont know. Its fine...but if Auria pro had a better midi editor, or nanostudio had audio tracks, I'd easily forget cubasis 3 for good.

• Main reason it was worth it for me was the whole universal thing. I do most of my stuff on my phone so that was nice.

• @chocobitz825 said:
    I dont know. Its fine...but if Auria pro had a better midi editor, or nanostudio had audio tracks, I'd easily forget cubasis 3 for good.

I’m about here with it. Add The lack of being able to sample in minisampler (currently) is cringeworthy. However, the bussing is good, rearranging is good too. The lack of visible waveforms whilst recording is just weird to me. I’ve done whole takes only to realize the levels are way way off. Overall great idea, love the universal aspect, but it feels stripped down deliberately sometimes with certain things. All that said I hope it advances and it still remains a great top tier DAW on iOS and for me it was worth the upgrade, even tho they took it out of the oven a little early.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@chocobitz825 said:
    I dont know. Its fine...but if Auria pro had a better midi editor, or nanostudio had audio tracks, I'd easily forget cubasis 3 for good.

I’m about here with it. Add The lack of being able to sample in minisampler (currently) is cringeworthy. However, the bussing is good, rearranging is good too. The lack of visible waveforms whilst recording is just weird to me. I’ve done whole takes only to realize the levels are way way off. Overall great idea, love the universal aspect, but it feels stripped down deliberately sometimes with certain things. All that said I hope it advances and it still remains a great top tier DAW on iOS and for me it was worth the upgrade, even tho they took it out of the oven a little early.

Good take, but sums up why a certain number of us stayed on the fence and remain there for now.

• @YourJunk said:
    Main reason it was worth it for me was the whole universal thing. I do most of my stuff on my phone so that was nice.

That's basically the only reason I upgraded as well. Cubasis has always been my go-to for recording vocals. Now that it's universal, it's also what I use (in conjunction with Barkfilter and Toneboosters plugs) to master multiple tracks at once.

In all honesty, if you strictly use an iPad setup or an iPad/Desktop setup and only use your iPhone for sketching out musical ideas, the upgrade to v3 isn't really worth it. It IS worth it if, say, you want to mix down stems from GR-16 or Beathawk or Gadget or Auxy or you record vocals or master multiple tracks on a device that fits in your pocket. :) I love my mini for my music production needs, but sometimes (especially in cold weather) I prefer just to take my iPhone along.

• edited March 2020

@AudioGus said:
    For actually making tunes: no. I will never use it for that until they improve simply moving clips (events) and tracks on the timeline. C2 was eventually solid. C3 is both buggy on my 2017 ipads (pro and base) and missing basic 'features' or functionality that C2 had. The first update seemed to fix a lot of other things (apparently) but not the things that made it instantly unusable for me.

@YourJunk said:
    Main reason it was worth it for me was the whole universal thing. I do most of my stuff on my phone so that was nice.

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    That's basically the only reason I upgraded as well. Cubasis has always been my go-to for recording vocals. Now that it's universal, it's also what I use (in conjunction with Barkfilter and Toneboosters plugs) to master multiple tracks at once.

IMHO, Audio Evolution fills the iPhone DAW gap very nicely and I prefer recording audio tracks with it on the iPhone. Moving clips around, splitting, trimming, non-destructive start/end and fade edits, time stretching, a useful mixer channel for the selected track are fun to work with. The editing concept is somewhat different from Cubasis but worth getting used to. The "Sampler" can import sound fonts and SFZ instruments with proper loop points, filters and velocity layers, another thing unavailable in Cubasis.

• Cubasis 2 is still extremely capable first off. I early adopted Cubasis 3 for a few reasons. First, frankly I am notoriously bad at spending most of my discretionary dough on music apps & gear, although now that we’re at the end times and I gotta save money for water & canned goods for when they’re $10 a smash in a month...I pray that is just a bad joke & not our upcoming reality.

Secondly, I wanted subgroups in Cubasis since many times if I’m recording drums from an app I’ll record each element on a different track for greater control. Dealing with one fader vs. 5 or More bits and pieces of a drum track is just one of a hundred uses for subgroups. The folder system, the graphical touch ups...there’s quite a bit to like. Like for $30 or whatever? Eh...

If you have the budget to upgrade, do it. If not, Cubasis 2 is stil brilliant...certainly more capable than the Tascam 424 cassette PortaStudio I used for years with a big goofy contented grin on my face...

• LFSLFS
    edited March 2020

Hi all,

Of course, I am leaving the general discussion up to you.

Just for info:
    Both Apple Pencil support and bringing back the MiniSampler edit feature is planned to be included in the upcoming 3.0.2 update, which is aimed to be released at the end of this month. Same for the first release of Cubasis LE 3, which comes bundled with several devices.

Best,
    Lars

• edited March 2020

Hey @LFS
    Would be nice to have a Coronavirus sale price for C3. Might push some of us off the fence...😉

• Waiting for a sale.

• @TimRussell said:
    Hey @LFS
    Would be nice to have a Coronavirus sale price for C3. Might push some of us off the fence...😉

+1

• @TimRussell said:
    Hey @LFS

+1

• I would buy it too. Honestly I’m thinking to move to Nanostudio 2 from Cubasis 2, but if Cubasis 3 will go a sale soon, I would instantly buy it

• @cyberheater said:
    Was it worth it?

Pointer ... no upgrade path or bundle was offered (except IAP)... it’s marketed as a brand new design/app
    As a brand new app it does not offer anything substantially new other than an Iphone version and track grouping.

• @ecstaticax said:
    I would buy it too. Honestly I’m thinking to move to Nanostudio 2 from Cubasis 2, but if Cubasis 3 will go a sale soon, I would instantly buy it

I did and I don't regret it at all, NS2 is everything I need except audio tracks.
    Great piano roll, handy macro knobs, great clip handling in the arranger, a great mixer and Obsidian covering most known synthesis methods.
    Obsidian includes a very powerful sampler too, something we'll likely never see in C3.

• @rs2000 said:

Obsidian includes a very powerful sampler too, something we'll likely never see in C3.

Well I hope they do bring the desktop Cubase Sampler Track to Cubasis :)

Of the DAWs out there GarageBand has this nice 'Drag Audio To Sampler Track' to create an instrument and it's tuning is automagically set too based on the recorded audio so no need to fine-tune sampled instrument sounds.

The Cubase Sampler Track is really something I wish to see on iOS/iPadOS as it is highly unlikely that Ableton will drop iLive with Simpler for iOS/iPadOS.

And well Cubasis 3 in general runs smoother on my ancient iPad Air 2, so for me even with the dysfunctional MiniSampler it's a solid upgrade. Also like the extended FX slots that can be freely re-arranged within a track.

Just wish the built-in browser would allow 'browsing' inside existing Cubase projects to re-use recorded audio.
    (Files.app can be used to browse the project folders so why not add the function to the built-in browser as well?).

Mostly looking forward to the 3.0.2 update that should drop before the end of March.

• Actually I am trying cubase 2 vs nanostudio 2. I’m arranging a pop songs full of strings Samples, I’m using different instances of audiolayer and pure synth, some Magellan 2 and Synthmaster one. Both with tb equalizer and adverb2. On c2 I use it’s machine drums iaps, on ns2 internal drum machine. Other effects are based on the internal ones they both have.
    Cubasis 2 is totally unplayable. I need to freeze most of the tracks. Ns2 is playable.
    Ns2 doesn’t open geoshred in full window, c2 does it.
    I am worried about ns2 audio tracks. With audio, if it will be as good as midi, ns2 will kill every other daw.
    I learnt ns2 in one day, very easy but also powerful.

• What device?
    And have you disabled any reverb that might be present in the Pure Synth Platinum patches?

• iPad Pro 12,9 2018, reverb not disabled on both DAWs

• Many of the PSP patches have a very CPU intensive reverb applied to them. Might be worth checking this and disabling them if present.

• Thanks for the hint. I will try it.

• We are aware of this issue. We have tried to reach out to the NS2 developer but have not heard back. We believe that the problem is that NS2 is not sending the correct window bounds in some cases. This issue seems to be a bit better in the latest version of NS2. NS2 folks, if you see this please contact us at [email protected]

@ecstaticax said:
    Actually I am trying cubase 2 vs nanostudio 2. I’m arranging a pop songs full of strings Samples, I’m using different instances of audiolayer and pure synth, some Magellan 2 and Synthmaster one. Both with tb equalizer and adverb2. On c2 I use it’s machine drums iaps, on ns2 internal drum machine. Other effects are based on the internal ones they both have.
    Cubasis 2 is totally unplayable. I need to freeze most of the tracks. Ns2 is playable.
    Ns2 doesn’t open geoshred in full window, c2 does it.
    I am worried about ns2 audio tracks. With audio, if it will be as good as midi, ns2 will kill every other daw.
    I learnt ns2 in one day, very easy but also powerful.

• @lfs still having issues with audio, and track tempo i. cubasis 3 on iphone. Audio quality still is horrible when using bluetooth headphones. even when audio setting are set just for that.
    Also, when I open a track that was previously saved, and try to start working on it again. the tempo drops to what sounds like 20 or 30 bpm, even though it says 120 for my project tempo. please look into theses issues. thanks

• I’ve mentioned this a few times on the forum: I did not buy Cubasis 3 at the introductory sale price because of the reports of so many bugs at launch.

The instant it goes on sale again, I am immediately buying it. I suspect there are many others in my position.

• I'd stick with C2, it's not just bugs, but many deliberate decisions too. I've switched entirely to Nanostudio 2 which I love like it was one of my own children, possibly more. Recently though I've been firing up C3 just to try out the new master strip tools (just dropping the mixdown from NS2 onto a single track in C3), and I can't quite get over how awful it is to work with. The bizarre decision to force users to press, hold until an annoying bouncing box appears, and then drag, just to select anything in the interface is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a touch app. Editing automation points in Nanostudio I can absolutely fly through, drag select -> move, drag select -> move. Doing this in C3 is a Sisyphean task: activate the Select button, press, hold, drag, deselect the Select button, select the Move X button, move, deselect the Move X button, move, select the Move Y button, move, repeat. It literally takes ten times as long, and is so unbelievably fiddly that you WILL get it wrong.

The master strip tools are quite good though.

• Well, I was a complainer and made my views known but time cools the hothead!! I sold a few items on eBay recently so decided to buy Cubasis 3. I’ve only had it a couple of days but the immediate impression is of a more optimised performance. Can’t put my finger on it as yet but it is a definite improvement. Plus I trust Steinberg will be around to support the app until I at least have obtained value for money from it. I am experiencing some latency on monitoring when I’m recording I’m using the same setup as Cubasis 2.8 and didn’t have a problem there. I’ll hopefully sort it out.

• @drcongo said:
    I'd stick with C2, it's not just bugs, but many deliberate decisions too. I've switched entirely to Nanostudio 2 which I love like it was one of my own children, possibly more. Recently though I've been firing up C3 just to try out the new master strip tools (just dropping the mixdown from NS2 onto a single track in C3), and I can't quite get over how awful it is to work with. The bizarre decision to force users to press, hold until an annoying bouncing box appears, and then drag, just to select anything in the interface is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in a touch app. Editing automation points in Nanostudio I can absolutely fly through, drag select -> move, drag select -> move. Doing this in C3 is a Sisyphean task: activate the Select button, press, hold, drag, deselect the Select button, select the Move X button, move, deselect the Move X button, move, select the Move Y button, move, repeat. It literally takes ten times as long, and is so unbelievably fiddly that you WILL get it wrong.

The master strip tools are quite good though.

If it ever gets as smooth as C2 eventually became that would be great but yah my money/hopes are on NS2 for the future.

• IMO definitely yes

• IMO definitely also yes. Smoother, great Mastering effect and nice shooting projects back and forth from iPad to iPhone. Also was nice chance for me to throw some respect ($) towards Lars and the team people.