Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stay At Home Cause Everything is Canceled Sales

Comments

• One thing I like about Zenbeats is the workflow for transferring audio recorded in AUM/Audioshare into Zenbeats, then arranging the audio along a timeline - it's easy to learn and quick.

I had a harder time trying the same workflow with Cubasis 2. I have not tried Cubasis 3 yet.

• @dobbs said:
    Sooo, since cubasis is on sale, what would you say is better about cubasis vs zenbeats?

(There's just something about the overall "haptics" of zenbeats that make it feel so "heavy" and cumbersome to use... it's not that it lacks any features I need but compared to other apps like aum, using AUM just... feels better. And, I guess, music's all about feeling :D so I thought maybe I should also give another daw a try...)

I absolutely feel you when you say Zenbeats feels heavy and cumbersome. I’ve given it few tries and cannot seem to get used to the feeling of it. So between Cubasis and Zenbeats, I definitely think Cubasis is a little better. I can’t zouch for C2 but C3 is nice. I do all my mixing and arranging in C3.

• edited December 2020

I'll try and see what the CB3 LE feels like :D

Yeah this just feels smoother overall

• Ok I found the official tweet about Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro add-ons being 50% off

• OK the thing I'm missing with CB3 is a nice drum sequencer... is there just the piano roll with the keyboard notes?

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Ok I found the official tweet about Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro add-ons being 50% off

Yes Grab’ em now cause they never go on sale.
    I think these IAPS open the whole potential of the app. Really good if you’re into exploring Jazz standards

• @dobbs said:
    Sooo, since cubasis is on sale, what would you say is better about cubasis vs zenbeats?

You can pipe AUM channels into Cubasis. I don’t think Zenbeats has IAA?

• edited December 2020

I think I'm sold on cubasis, thanks guys ;) good thing that they have the free LE trial period. now it just needs to get midi learn.... :D

Somehow the feel of zenbeats just kept me from finishing projects. I never finished a single song in zenbeats. All the songs that I actually completed since I bought zenbeats... were the ones I had done in garageband...

You can pipe AUM channels into Cubasis. I don’t think Zenbeats has IAA?

So you could also pipe tracks from cubasis into AUM and back into cubasis? idk, maybe to do sidechain compression and whatnot?

• @Johnba said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Ok I found the official tweet about Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro add-ons being 50% off

I think these IAPS open the whole potential of the app. Really good if you’re into exploring Jazz standards

I went to check this out. Not really getting it I searched a youtube video. After realising I don't know what a cadence is I watched for about 10 minutes before admitting to myself I had not idea what was happening. I mean what's up with those flying arrow. This app might as well be in swahili and covering the topic of quantum physics applied to the field of fake flower arranging.

• @dobbs said:
    OK the thing I'm missing with CB3 is a nice drum sequencer... is there just the piano roll with the keyboard notes?

I think so, unfortunately. Certainly the case in CB2. I’ve just pre-emptively bought CB3 on my phone, watched a video on improvements, had a quick fiddle and not aware of any change.

• @MadGav said:

@dobbs said:
    OK the thing I'm missing with CB3 is a nice drum sequencer... is there just the piano roll with the keyboard notes?

I think so, unfortunately. Certainly the case in CB2. I’ve just pre-emptively bought CB3 on my phone, watched a video on improvements, had a quick fiddle and not aware of any change.

I've just found another missing feature in CB3 that was available in CB2: MIDI clock sync timing correction.

• @Ailerom said:

@Johnba said:

@GovernorSilver said:

I went to check this out. Not really getting it I searched a youtube video. After realising I don't know what a cadence is I watched for about 10 minutes before admitting to myself I had not idea what was happening. I mean what's up with those flying arrow. This app might as well be in swahili and covering the topic of quantum physics applied to the field of fake flower arranging.

Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro 8 is supposed to be easier to use than earlier versions. I have yet to start digging into all the videos explaining how to use this new version

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @GovernorSilver said:

@Ailerom said:

@Johnba said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro 8 is supposed to be easier to use than earlier versions. I have yet to start digging into all the videos explaining how to use this new version

This app is great if you’re into Jazz chord changes and practicing. It’s a great tool to explore the structures of standards but it won’t teach you what harmony is though.
    I don’t think an app can really teach all that to your ears -

• I just tried to click the top bar by mouse cursor in FireFox on Windows to scroll the page up (like on iPad). I think it's time to take a break from the computer for today ;)

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Ailerom said: blah blah blah

@Johnba said:

@Johnba said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Johnba said:

This app is great if you’re into Jazz chord changes and practicing. It’s a great tool to explore the structures of standards but it won’t teach you what harmony is though.

I bought it just because I like torturing myself and maybe even believing that I can still learn something new. There is a lot going on here I don't understand and the video helped. I've been using the fretboard a bit but the best thing to view right now is the sheet music with guitar chords. I'm looking and will hopefully find alternate music symbols. Also the inversions I hear between shown chords are a mystery. Can't seem to figure out if there is a way to show what is happening there. It sounds like if there is a C played for a bar different AI will play a few different inversions (?) or maybe they are inversions with added harmony (?). I really don't know. And that artists rendition at the bottom of the page, with symbols that are alien to me is moving at a speed that makes it pretty useless.

• @dobbs said:

So you could also pipe tracks from cubasis into AUM and back into cubasis? idk, maybe to do sidechain compression and whatnot?

I doubt that’s possible in CB. I think it only takes input.

• edited December 2020

I think you're right. I can load cubasis into audiobus but I guess it would just output the master, I see no option to send individual tracks to aum. lol i just created an aum <-> cubasis feedback loop :D

• @dobbs said:
    I think I'm sold on cubasis, thanks guys ;) good thing that they have the free LE trial period. now it just needs to get midi learn.... :disappointed:

Midi learn is on the roadmap for 6 years already.

• @Ailerom said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Johnba said:

@Johnba said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Johnba said:

I bought it just because I like torturing myself and maybe even believing that I can still learn something new. There is a lot going on here I don't understand and the video helped. I've been using the fretboard a bit but the best thing to view right now is the sheet music with guitar chords. I'm looking and will hopefully find alternate music symbols. Also the inversions I hear between shown chords are a mystery. Can't seem to figure out if there is a way to show what is happening there. It sounds like if there is a C played for a bar different AI will play a few different inversions (?) or maybe they are inversions with added harmony (?). I really don't know. And that artists rendition at the bottom of the page, with symbols that are alien to me is moving at a speed that makes it pretty useless.

I'm not sure exactly what part of the video you are talking about, but what I found helps a lot for understanding any lesson on harmony....

.... is breaking down an excerpt of the chord progression, and figuring out what notes actually changed from chord to chord, and what notes are staying the same.

This guy breaks it down pretty nicely, imo, even though the vid is kind of an advert for stuff he sells.

• I've been searching for apps that generate interesting MIDI. Of course my definition of interesting might not match yours.

I exported the "Bill Evans" style chords from "Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro" to a MIDI file.
    I imported that MIDI file into StaffPad and used it for a viola section.
    I exported the audio from StaffPad and loaded it up in a file player in AUM.
    Then I created a channel to playback the file and used the new MixBox CS FX on my new viola arrangement.

This is the result of this exercise in menu diving and file transfers:

Doing that type of string arrangement by hand would take me all night and the next day or 2. This took about 15 minutes. I also played the MIDI file back in LK and used the Korg Module "String Section" in the Orchestral Dream Section but the MIDI file needs to be split into distinct sections... it has more than one part and one was just a scale that didn't really fit the chords. Anyway... 1 out of 2. The Module Strings sound great too so Staffpad is not required but a pass through Xequence 2 might be needed to clean up the MIDI parts to just the strings.

• @McD said:
    I've been searching for apps that generate interesting MIDI. Of course my definition of interesting might not match yours.

I exported the "Bill Evans" style chords from "Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro" to a MIDI file.
    Then I created a channel to playback the file and used the new MixBox CS FX on my new viola arrangement.

Doing that type of string arrangement by hand would take me all night and the next day or 2. This took about 15 minutes. I also played the MIDI file back in LK and used the Korg Module "String Section" in the Orchestral Dream Section but the MIDI file needs to be split into distinct sections... it has more than one part and one was just a scale that didn't really fit the chords. Anyway... 1 out of 2. The Module Strings sound great too so Staffpad is not required but a pass through Xequence 2 might be needed to clean up the MIDI parts to just the strings.

Nice. It’s like sampling, your own midi. Lol. Sounds like a track to me...

• @Poppadocrock said:

@McD said:

Nice. It’s like sampling, your own midi. Lol. Sounds like a track to me...

Now I need to investigate how to get the bass line out of the app. I'd also like to run the
    chords through a Mozaic script that breaks it out to channels... wait. PolyThemus does just that.

Probably "MTH Pro" into Sequence out to PolyThemus for the chord track To Korg Module and the bass in parallel and capture a recording in AUM. Hmm.

Maybe I should get the 1,300 Standards for $20 on sale. I love it when I get this message:

"YOU ALREADY OWN THIS ADD-ON."

I wish it knew before that because I'd have passed on $20 this month because of Black Friday. All's well that gets me free stuff.

• @McD said:
    Now I need to investigate how to get the bass line out of the app. I'd also like to run the
    chords through a Mozaic script that breaks it out to channels... wait. PolyThemus does just that.

Or some manual edit. Remove the top notes from that awesome sequence you posted and remove the upper notes, etc. or some mozaic / streambyter scripts or midi filters.

Other option, if you have iBassist or Step Poly Arp (maybe even others i'm forgetting) is feed that sequence as chords to them and generate a bassline in iBassist or a mono line in SPP following the chord progression from MTH

• @McD said:
    I've been searching for apps that generate interesting MIDI. Of course my definition of interesting might not match yours.

Bill Evans voicings aren't really normal string voicings. It would sound more idiomatic as a woodwind section. Alan Broadbent's arrangements for Marian McPartland with strings do tend to use more pianistic voicings though:

• edited December 2020

@GovernorSilver said:

@Ailerom said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Johnba said:

@Johnba said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Johnba said:

I'm not sure exactly what part of the video you are talking about, but what I found helps a lot for understanding any lesson on harmony....

.... is breaking down an excerpt of the chord progression, and figuring out what notes actually changed from chord to chord, and what notes are staying the same.

This guy breaks it down pretty nicely, imo, even though the vid is kind of an advert for stuff he sells.

Thanks. Not really any particular part of the video. I'm just new to the concept I guess. I'll be watching the v8 tutorial again. Plus they have some other videos that will help. The screen with the circles is a bit of a mystery to me at this stage. I'm not familiar at all with jazz chord symbols.

• @Ailerom said:
    Thanks. Not really any particular part of the video. I'm just new to the concept I guess. I'll be watching the v8 tutorial again. Plus they have some other videos that will help. The screen with the circles is a bit of a mystery to me at this stage. I'm not familiar at all with jazz chord symbols.

You're welcome!

This is the best book I have found so far for introducing jazz harmony to guitarists. It starts off by breaking chords down to 3-note shell voicings. Everything about harmony is so much easier when you only gotta think about 3 notes at at time. Doesn't matter what crazy chords are on a chord chart - all can be broken down into 3-note chords. The book teaches how in great detail.

https://www.shermusic.com/9780997661743.php

• edited December 2020

Bird with strings and harp. Unbeaten combination of two different worlds.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Ailerom said:

You're welcome!

This is the best book I have found so far for introducing jazz harmony to guitarists. It starts off by breaking chords down to 3-note shell voicings. Everything about harmony is so much easier when you only gotta think about 3 notes at at time. Doesn't matter what crazy chords are on a chord chart - all can be broken down into 3-note chords. The book teaches how in great detail.

That book looks good. Shame there is not Google or Kindle version. I understand how to build chords and break them down. I need a better understanding of the symbols used in jazz. Will continue looking for a really good guide.

• edited December 2020

@Ailerom said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Ailerom said:

You're welcome!

That book looks good. Shame there is not Google or Kindle version. I understand how to build chords and break them down. I need a better understanding of the symbols used in jazz. Will continue looking for a really good guide.

Chord construction knowledge will help.

However, "how to construct chords" is not the main focus of the book. Rather, it is a very useful resource for de-mystifying the chord progressions found on lead sheets. so that when you are presented with a lead sheet, you will at least have some simple chord fingerings for accompanying a jazz soloist. You can check out the sample PDFs on the website to get a better idea of what the book is about. Of course the book also has chapters on soloing too.

For example this sample PDF shows why the same, simple 3-note shell voicing works for both Cmin7 and Cmin7b5, and another simple 3-note shell works for both Cmin6 and Cdim7

https://www.shermusic.com/new/sample_pages/9780997661743-5.pdf