Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quantizing across apps

edited March 2014 in Feature Wishlists

I don't know if it can be done (but then, I'm no techie), but is there a conceivable way to program future Audiobus updates to quantize input from apps (like Music Studio) into an output app (like GB)? GB has its own internal quantize functionality, but I wonder if the same could be done with input... I imagine latency issues would be one of the first reasons that it wouldn't work, but no more than there is probably no way to do that with merely audio signals. Several apps have an internal Quantize function, but is there a standard way that they do this or do they all have their own proprietary scheme?

Comments

• I'm no expert here, but I would have thought that all the apps that can quantize do so with MIDI rather than audio. That's certainly the case with GB and Cubasis.

Since Audiobus only deals with audio, and never with MIDI, it's probably not feasible at the moment, if at all.

Are there any apps anywhere that can quantize audio?

• @mgmg4871 said:

Meteor Multitrack Recorder

At least it CAN be done... if one has an iPad!

• So pardon my ignorance here, but can Meteor quantize an out-of-time audio part? Seems pretty miraculous if it can, I would buy it for that feature alone.

• @richardyot Yes, I suppose it done with timestretching and pitch correction.

• @mgmg4871 said:

@richardyot Yes, I suppose it done with timestretching and pitch correction.

Any examples, either sound or video, of this in action anywhere?

• I don't know of any, but you could check here.

http://www.4pocketsaudio.com/product.php?p=8

• Part of my thinking here was finding an alternative to Start/Stop/Record sync that has reared its countenance once or twice on this forum. Just me thinking out loud (so-to-speak) at the people who'd obviously know something about it; I can still move the GB audio tracks back & forth to line everything up but hey! This is the 21st century!

• After further testing, I found that what Meteor does, is basically set the starting point on a beat or sub beat. It doesn't actually change the audio.

• Thanks for the clarification - so I guess this isn't any different to just lining up an audio clip manually. It's not really anywhere near as powerful or useful as quantizing MIDI notes, but then again it kinda sounded too good to be true.

• edited March 2014

It's possible on desktop software like Logic, and I'm sure it will be in IOS apps someday. It may be possible in some apps that allow timestretching and pitchshifting of small sections of audio. It would just have to be done manually.