Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alchemy Woes with IAA

Since the improved IAA update for Alchemy overnight the app doesn't want to connect to Cubasis, Looptical, Tabletop etc. They made the app unusable now in the IAA environment. come on Camel I've got the hump!

Comments

• I have no problems connecting to Cubasis, but it freezes it after recording for more than a minute or so. New project, single track only.

• edited March 2014

Just a quick note. I can get it working with Yamaha MMS and Looptical if I start it first and go to Alchemy's settings and turn on background audio. It automatically turns the background audio off after I kill it (swipe away on iOS7 from double-tap). I had to do the same thing with the last version as well. I was hoping they would have fixed the background audio switch by now.

• Thanks for the warnings guys. This is why I find the Audiobus forum so very helpful. It saves me from downloading these poor updates until they become stable to use.

• Updated using iPad Air and used with IAA into Cubasis. Worked OK.

• Hi,

I posted the same info + questions in another thread:

We're working on the IAA problem now, but it's not easy to reproduce i.e. we can't, it happens once or twice during testing, but not consistently. Some questions:

• What device are you using?
    • Free or Pro Upgrade version of Alchemy Mobile?
    • Which IAA host application?
    • Is this a new or existing host project?
    • Did some other app occupy the instrument slot before creating Alchemy Mobile? e.g. it's possible to change IAA apps in Cubasis.
    • If using Cubasis are you attempting to record to an audio track or MIDI track?

Answers best sent to our support [at] camelaudio [dot] com address, but I'll try to monitor this thread for answers.

Peace,
    Andy.

• edited March 2014
    • iPhone 5 and iPad 2.
    • I have the Pro version with all packs except newest one.
    • Yamaha MMS or Looptastic.
    • It can be a new or old host project.
    • Doesn't matter about a pre-existing IAA instrument. I had the same problem on my Cubasis, but can get it to work as follows below.

It seems consistent to my apps. I can reproduce my problems every time. If you just open Alchemy and go to setting turn on background audio (accept warning) and then close and exit app (kill from background) and open it up again, it will have background audio turned off. This coincides with not being able to link it as an instrument via IAA. If I open Alchemy, turn on background audio and leave it running in the background it will be seen and open up properly in my other apps via IAA. I think maybe some people who aren't having a problem are not shuting it down in the background.

• Is there any reason you're enabling / disabling background audio? That should not be required for IAA or AudioBus usage (... it's the old way of doing things).

• @ZenPunkHippy just tried a couple of instances of Alchemy with IAA and Cubasis on my 32GB iPad Air.

1) Nothing in background - launch Cubasis and arm IAA on MIDI track - select Alchemy, it starts to load but will not launch. So I launch it manually go back into Cubasis and try again, now Alchemy launches but it needs to be launched first to work. Then it seems to operate normally with IAA and Cubasis.

2) Following on with this, I select Alchemy with IAA on an audio track but Alchemy will no longer respond to virtual MIDI. As the other user, I switch on background audio in Alchemy and try again - success. Now I can control Alchemy using MIDI from Cubasis and record my results with IAA in an audio track in Cubasis compete with knob tweaks etc.,

It works but is just not quite there!

• Oh, I am using the pro upgrade with all sound packs and latest iOS.

• I think I got a different soundpack. I got Cinamatic instead of Iceland, but hey, that works for me.

• Alchemy, timesout in Meteor Multitrack Recorder before connecting.

• Tried with Yamaha MMS again, Alchemy will not launch unless already open but plays OK with MIDI and records audio to mixdown. No need to switch on background audio.

• No problems with AudioShare. Select Alchemy with IAA and it opens and records immediately.

• Moveable IAA transport in Alchemy is first, I think. Nice.

• Same story with Looptical - will not launch from Looptical but records OK once set up. I chose DrumPerfect by mistake and that launched straight away!

• I think it's time for a real & complete Alchemy like a desktop one....I'm so tired to use an Alchemy Player for iOS even though I bought the pro version :(

• Maybe if you have an Air or ipad4- I doubt a ported desktop version would run very well if at all on an older device.

• @Zymos Rim can run on my iPad 4 and before on my iPad 2 an app like Auria....and you think that an app like Alchemy can't run now?

plus the engine of current Alchemy is the same of desktop because the can load the same presets.

• I wiped Alchemy then re downloaded to ages to reload all the packs must be the worse app for updating IAP. It works ok with most other IAA now apart from Cubasis where the IAA sidebar refuses to show on switching. Next thing to try is to re download Cubasis!

• Working great here....so far....finally some motivation to get I to Cubasis again....

Opens first time now also which is great :)

• More testing - similar results so not sure how the current beta testers haven't spotted this...

BM2 - will not launch Alchemy with IAA so have to open it manually then connect. Also, have to switch on background audio in Alchemy to use virtual MIDI.

MTS Studio - connects immediately and launches Alchemy. Quite impressed.

@ZenPunkHippy I hope you're getting this :-)

• Just tried BM2 with Alchemy opens fine.
    Iphone5
    Alchemy pro

• ...and works perfectly with Auria. Ooh this sounds good - I gotta' play.

• Good info in this thread!!

• @Sinapsya said:

@Zymos Rim can run on my iPad 4 and before on my iPad 2 an app like Auria....and you think that an app like Alchemy can't run now?

plus the engine of current Alchemy is the same of desktop because the can load the same presets.

Nope, as ZenPunkHippy replied in the other Alchemy thread:

"For people who want "Alchemy" on iOS - which we do to - when the CPU is capable of generating 1600 unique oscillators in real time, combined with spectral resynthesis, then we can do it. Until then we will have a limited sub-set of capabilities."