Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Favourite books related to music production etc

13»

Comments

• @colonel_mustard said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    If I want to learn more and understand the music of Bach, what book should I read?

You should probably find a good book/chapter on counterpoint, but I'm not sure what the best resources are. I believe @Kühl is the resident Bach expert, but he's been very quiet since the world changed. I hope he's ok!

Thomas Benjamin, Counterpoint in the Style of J.S. Bach – out of print, but seems to be still available as an e-book.

• @Masanga said:

@colonel_mustard said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    If I want to learn more and understand the music of Bach, what book should I read?

You should probably find a good book/chapter on counterpoint, but I'm not sure what the best resources are. I believe @Kühl is the resident Bach expert, but he's been very quiet since the world changed. I hope he's ok!

Thomas Benjamin, Counterpoint in the Style of J.S. Bach – out of print, but seems to be still available as an e-book.

The paperback version is available on Amazon Canada: 209$.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

>

Nothing particularly musical right now, unless you count the babbling stream that is 'Finnegan's Wake' - and I'm not really flowing with it just yet (an unbroken 3-page run feels like an achievement). I've taken to reading Joyce as a zen exercise. Finding the rhythm in the text and staying with it, even if it makes little immediate sense. There's something creatively valuable in this I think, but it's work, and I need practice.

You gotta read it out loud to get the full effect.

Oh, I do! Still getting blocked, though. There's no peace in my flat, and I feel like a ranting lunatic if I'm muttering in the park. Taking a break to (silently) re-read Canadian filmmaker Guy Maddin's 'From the Atelier Tovar', which is probably not for everybody, but it is for me.

Pop fact: Throughout human history, almost all reading has been out loud (at least up until monks took the vow of silence). Supposedly, it was a mind-bending development, to read without speaking.

@Masanga said:

@colonel_mustard said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Thanks @Masanga :)

• @mrufino1 said:
    The Bruce Swedien recording method book is really good.

tis indeed.

• This one’s about max/msp, it’s been a long while since I first read it, but it has such great explanations about common electronic music concepts it was a delight to read https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Music-Sound-Design-Practice/dp/8890548401

• My advise with the Cycling’74 Max book that @pedro just listed is to purchase them via Apples Books as not only are they cheaper but they’re more up to date (there are multiple volumes). For learning Cycling’74 Max no book or book series is better.

• BTW there’s a volume 3 of Electronic Music and Sound Design out which covers the MIDI side of Cycling’74 Max. It’s unfortunately only available in Italian right now but the English translation is being worked on and should be out within a few months.

• edited October 2021

@rottencat said:
    Also, my favorite 20th century composer, Morton Feldman, wrote a very entertaining book called Give My Regards to Eighth St.
    https://www.amazon.com/Regards-Eighth-Street-Exact-Change/dp/1878972316/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ZXVFDYIRRG25&dchild=1&keywords=morton+feldman&qid=1620950777&s=books&sprefix=Morton+,aps,170&sr=1-1

Morton Feldman was making ambient music when Brian Eno was still in kneepants.

Has anyone seen an electronic version of this? I need a non fiction fix after a prolonged fiction binge 😁

• Confession time, I didn’t buy them 🤦‍♂️🙏

• Any book that's not related to music production could be good for music production.
    Sometimes you need a break, and a good book could set your fantasy in motion, to load up your battery and get back on track.

• I find YouTube to be (hands down) the best source of information for nearly any subject a person might be interested in these days. And this forum ain't bad too.

• edited November 2022

@NeuM said:
    I find YouTube to be (hands down) the best source of information for nearly any subject a person might be interested in these days. And this forum ain't bad too.

So true… I’m an autodidact (I’m sure there’s plenty in here) and you can teach your self anything from videos. I still use books, magazines, whatever, but videos on the tube are by far the best way to learn something/anything. Provided you are following reliable tubers, stations, and content creators. That aspect is invaluable.