Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apogee Symphony Desktop...Finally a Pro iOS interface?

123457»

Comments

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios it really is a great device. The on board ECS channel strip plugin works directly on the SD with iPad (and it’s pretty nice too) and several more plugins including an LA3A 🤯 are coming directly to the Apogee SD eventually, AND will be free on the device ( FYI-not free for the native plugins on desktop) These are DSP based and thus hosted directly on the SD, no computer interaction required!

The preamps aren’t quite symphony rack level (some of the best preamps I’ve ever used in an interface) and the 3 emulations aren’t quite as sonically convincing (in difference) as truly using different external preamps, but it’s close, and beyond convincing to the untrained ear. Add plugins or dial in the onboard compression/eq/saturation, and you’d never know. What really matters is the convenience of all this in ONE little unit and that fact that each preamp has its own tone and vibe it imparts, ones lush, ones present, and one is extreme (to me).

Good buy’ totally depends on your needs Etc but since I’m tracking vocals mostly and working ITB it’s perfect, although I wouldn’t mind an extra couple of channels.

It’s nearly perfect for an iPad user since you will sooner or later be able to use the rest of the Apogee FX rack DSP plugins, if you don’t need a bunch of channels etc.

If it was me, I’d grab it at that price and at least demo it. First interface I’ve used on iOS that leaves me wanting nothing (except battery power and apogee to finish the plugins for it)

My Motu M4 is still great, I still love it, don’t have to baby it, and traveling with it is easy. The SD doesn’t sound 5-10x better than the Motu of course, but the SD is more than an interface IMO. It’s an entire wall rack of equipment in one.

Just to recap: 2 preamps with 3 emulations each. And they don’t count against the DSP! A built Eq, compression, saturation ECS plugin stamped by Clearmountain, and about 5 (I think) more eq and compressions coming soon, including pultec and LA3A! So far I’ve managed to host 14 instances of ECS plugins on the device (7% each), so the DSP is pretty nice, way better than I expected. Also with the dsp I believe you can choose to monitor thru it only, or monitor thru it and print it to the track when recording.

It really is a great piece, after I wrapped my head around the 2 built in mixers and all the routing and monitoring features I loved it more so and the last firmware update delivered on some things I thought were there when I bought but they weren’t. Hopefully the next 2 updates won’t take too long. I do t use it with my IPad a ton, I’ll probably use it more when Apogee adds midi over usb so we can use midi controllers without a usb hub. Would be nice if it charged the IPad also like my Duet does.
    I bought mine in April and the Apogee plugin bundle came with it, apparently they changed their minds 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Awesome! Thanks for the update. I really should have bought it back when it was down to $1165. I love the idea of onboard plugins like that and the hybrid workflow as a result. You made a good point about not being able to save presets, which would really help complete a true hybrid scenario, but at the same time I can imagine approaching those onboards as if they’re pieces of hardware from traditional studios of the past, so one preset at a time. Sometimes people want workflow “authenticity” for psychological reasons.

Question: aside from the plugins that are included onboard, is it possible to buy more apogee plugins and put them onto the device as well, considering that on iPad we can’t use what we’d purchase on Mac/pc. And can that be done if one isn’t using an iPad, purchasing more plugins but have them on board? Thanks!

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I really should have bought it back when it was down to $1165. I love the idea of onboard plugins like that and the hybrid workflow as a result. You made a good point about not being able to save presets, which would really help complete a true hybrid scenario, but at the same time I can imagine approaching those onboards as if they’re pieces of hardware from traditional studios of the past, so one preset at a time. Sometimes people want workflow “authenticity” for psychological reasons.

Apogee has seen the video and said they’ll look into the feedback/suggestions and see what they can do, which is hopefully a step in the right direction for the next update. The desktop plugins, which are basically identical, have the preset selector so I’m hoping the symphony can join them.

Question: aside from the plugins that are included onboard, is it possible to buy more apogee plugins and put them onto the device as well, considering that on iPad we can’t use what we’d purchase on Mac/pc. And can that be done if one isn’t using an iPad, purchasing more plugins but have them on board? Thanks!

The Device contains all of the EQ and Compressor plugins that Apogee makes. Currently, their onboard DSP doesn’t support reverbs, flangers, phasers, etc but you’ll be getting all their current plugins that work with it (EQ, Comp), onboard, ‘for free’. Theres no way to load additional, or remove any of the 6 plugins from the device AFAIK.

To be clear, the device doesn’t come with the VST/AU/AAX version of their plugins for desktop, thats an additional $500 purchase ($250 with 50% coupon they give u with the device). What you’re getting is 6 plugins that are directly on the device itself and no where else. You can choose to simply monitor thru them, or ‘print’ them to your audio (like hardware) and you can use them in this way with iPhone/iPad, computers, or any other device that accepts class compliant devices.

Computer users who buy the VST/AU/AAX plugins separately get access to a unique feature called dual path which links the apogee plugin in the DAW to the DSP onboard the symphony desktop for low latency monitoring through plugins while recording, with the flexibility of changing the settings after.

• edited February 2022

Absolutely a game changer for me now after the last 2 updates, I was really hoping to have to opto compressor in the Symphony Desktop. Now I can print fat bass sounds straight to “tape” which is a major thing for me as well as just get nice vocals etc from the door. Also you can actually save presets via the Apogee Control 2 software. It would be great to save presets in the unit itself too but I’m using it primarily with my Mac so it’s fine for me.

• edited February 2022

You can save presets via the Apogee Control app, it would be great to save presets on the Symphony Desktop itself too though. You can save either for the whole fx chain or for each plugin

• I would definitely recommend the Symphony Desktop, I hate using words like the “best” interface or Daw etc because people have different options and preferences but I really don’t know of any audio interfaces with this many features and actual onboard fx like this. And there’s more features promised via another update. I’m hoping Apogee keeps coming with more plugins, a reverb/delay/modulation plugin would be great, at least some reverb and delay to monitor thru.![]

(https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/rg/uooqd0s8y8bc.jpeg "")

• @Strizbiz said:
    I would definitely recommend the Symphony Desktop, I hate using words like the “best” interface or Daw etc because people have different options and preferences but I really don’t know of any audio interfaces with this many features and actual onboard fx like this. And there’s more features promised via another update. I’m hoping Apogee keeps coming with more plugins, a reverb/delay/modulation plugin would be great, at least some reverb and delay to monitor thru.![]

(https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/rg/uooqd0s8y8bc.jpeg "")

Thank you for the realistic photos. Unless something “better” comes out in the next couple years, this will be my next major purchase for a portable/home studio. I love my Motu M4, it’s best in class, and clinically pristine. But I’ve had experience with a few Apogee interfaces and I know for sure I want what they got…

• Thank you for the realistic photos. Unless something “better” comes out in the next couple years, this will be my next major purchase for a portable/home studio. I love my Motu M4, it’s best in class, and clinically pristine. But I’ve had experience with a few Apogee interfaces and I know for sure I want what they got…

You’re welcome, Motu makes great products, I used to have the 2408 interface and used Digital Performer years back, I would have bought an M4 but they were out of stock at the time and I just couldn’t find one.
    I will say this about the Symphony Desktop though, I love all the features and built in a fx a lot, but my mixes come out so much better because I’m really hearing what I’m getting. I had an Apogee Duet 2 before I bought the SD. I got some good mixes but had to sometimes go back and make adjustments when playing them on other devices or earbuds etc, I’ve never had to do that so far with the SD. The converters really are top notch.

• @Strizbiz said:
    I will say this about the Symphony Desktop though, I love all the features and built in a fx a lot, but my mixes come out so much better because I’m really hearing what I’m getting.

I hear ya... that‘s why I stick to real time (hardware) DSP fx engines ever since Y2K... though they were declared dead horses about 15 years ago.
    Everything is neatly time aligned and performs reliably with sub-millisecond latency.
    Print to tape delivers exactly what‘s on the monitors... of course in realtime, there‘s no rendering. Some patience (or coffee) applies... o:)