Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - March 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

  • edited March 10

    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

    A print on the wall
    It's faded and small
    Now I know what it means to me
    Part of our history
    It's part of me
    It's part of you
    It was back in a time that you both knew

    strawberry blonde
    with eyes of blue
    as she turns to look at you
    there’s a beautiful girl in a photograph and her eyes shine as she’s starting to laugh
    it’s a moment in time that will always be
    back in 1970

    the girl is long gone
    but her memory lives on
    I always knew what she meant to me
    more than a memory
    she’s part of me
    she’s part of you
    she’s a beautiful girl that we once knew

    strawberry blonde
    with eyes of blue
    as she turns to look at you
    there’s a beautiful girl in a photograph and her eyes shine as she’s starting to laugh

    it’s a moment in time that will always be
    back in 1970

  • @richardyot Wow what you did with your voice? In German we would say: Sounds like a grater :-D (But that is meant in a positive way!) Your vocal performance and the mix I think gets better every time!
    Really like the beginning ... The groove is directly present with the drums and that bass... The synth then --> Dream Pop ;-) And the change from verse to chorus is the 'typical' richardyot tension move haha... Can I ask what you used for the drums? and the vocals?

  • @richardyot said:

    An excellent Richardyot "cru" as we say here about wine. I'm still surprised how you can produce each month such pop blue songs with constant style and "réussite". A good album per year!

  • I was very busy last month working on this thrilling road movie with the French painter Bruno Clochard. I made all the music with iPad just editing with images on Reaper.
    Sorry for the format (well it is a long piece of music of the month (isn't it @richardyot ?) but hey no Kitusai's ears torture this previous month and not so long for a blockbuster movie :wink:
    And those who don't listen the whole thing will not be punished. They will just miss the incredible outcome :smile:

  • edited March 3

    @Kitusai said:
    I was very busy last month working on this thrilling road movie with the French painter Bruno Clochard. I made all the music with iPad just editing with images on Reaper.
    Sorry for the format (well it is a long piece of music of the month (isn't it @richardyot ?) but hey no Kitusai's ears torture this previous month and not so long for a blockbuster movie :wink:
    And those who don't listen the whole thing will not be punished. They will just miss the incredible outcome :smile:

    20 minutes??? Mon Dieu :-P I am not surprised you didn't post last month haha
    Yeah I started to skip through a bit after 5 minutes... There is soo much going on... It is like reviewing 10 songs ;-)
    But I like it, it is really a good ambient mood you creating there... And towards the end the pieces with the beat are really good... All in all it reminds me a bit on 'The future sound of London' Some of their old works sounded a bit like this. And I used to love them back in the 90ies... The Visuals are very hypnotic... The view out of the side window reminded me on childhood, when starring out of the window when driving with parents to holiday ;-)
    ...If I would still smoke weed, I would probably roll one spliff and enjoy the full 20 minutes, but unfortunately I have not enough patience now to listen through it all...Sorry ;-)

  • Okay so here is my entry. Like last month this was made for the Music Production Course I made in January... I made most in Logic, but used ChordPolyPad to kick the song off and to create the initial chord progression with it (sent MIDI to Logic) and also the 303 BassLine comes from Pure Acid (transcribed it by hand into Pure Acid, because I couldn't figure out how to import MIDI into PA - think there is no way, no?) ... Ah and mastering was also on the iPad... TB Barricade and Bark Filters Secret Magic Thingee ;-P

  • edited March 3

    @uglyskratch said:
    @richardyot Wow what you did with your voice? In German we would say: Sounds like a grater :-D (But that is meant in a positive way!) Your vocal performance and the mix I think gets better every time!
    Really like the beginning ... The groove is directly present with the drums and that bass... The synth then --> Dream Pop ;-) And the change from verse to chorus is the 'typical' richardyot tension move haha... Can I ask what you used for the drums? and the vocals?

    @Kitusai said:

    @richardyot said:

    An excellent Richardyot "cru" as we say here about wine. I'm still surprised how you can produce each month such pop blue songs with constant style and "réussite". A good album per year!

    Thank you both for the very kind words!

    @uglyskratch the drums are a custom kit of mine played/sequenced by hand in NS2, and the vocals just have my usual FX chain: DDMF MagicDeathEye, FabFilter Pro-R and a little bit of Toneboosters Reelbus.

    I will take a listen to both your entries tomorrow!

  • @Kitusai said:
    I was very busy last month working on this thrilling road movie with the French painter Bruno Clochard. I made all the music with iPad just editing with images on Reaper.
    Sorry for the format (well it is a long piece of music of the month (isn't it @richardyot ?) but hey no Kitusai's ears torture this previous month and not so long for a blockbuster movie :wink:
    And those who don't listen the whole thing will not be punished. They will just miss the incredible outcome :smile:

    I think this is definitely the strangest thing I've seen and heard on here :)

    To begin with I was a little bit perplexed, like "WTF is this?", but after a couple of minutes I settled in and started enjoying it more, once the camera was flipped upside down the whole experience felt a bit more psychedelic and I felt more of a vibe going on between the music and the visuals. Although it has to be said the music seems to change without any cue from the video, especially at the beginning, which sometimes is a bit jarring.

    It is very long, and I doubt many people will have the patience to watch it all, and it's also very difficult to understand the artistic intention behind it, so I personally just let it roll without judging. However the section at the end in the roadside café did make me wonder if I was being trolled a little 🐱‍👤 but then again you could say signing a urinal R. Mutt is top-level trolling, so who am I to judge?

  • edited March 5

    @uglyskratch said:
    Okay so here is my entry. Like last month this was made for the Music Production Course I made in January... I made most in Logic, but used ChordPolyPad to kick the song off and to create the initial chord progression with it (sent MIDI to Logic) and also the 303 BassLine comes from Pure Acid (transcribed it by hand into Pure Acid, because I couldn't figure out how to import MIDI into PA - think there is no way, no?) ... Ah and mastering was also on the iPad... TB Barricade and Bark Filters Secret Magic Thingee ;-P

    This is brimming with energy and excitement, and I love the way is suddenly segues from one thing to the next. The bassline is very good, and the beats are also excellent. The way the samples are spliced in, and the synth lines that run alongside all work very well.

    This is fun and energising music to listen to. Have you ever heard the Dirtchamber Sessions? Your track reminded me quite strongly of that album, the way it veers between one thing and another, but always keeping the music fun and exciting.

  • @richardyot I really love your feedbacks and judgements Richard! :-) Do you know the NPR Tiny Desk Concert Series? The descriptions about the music and performance there are so on point... Your descriptions about what you hear are as good as theirs!

    Thanks so much for the feedback! And thanks for introducing me to the 'Dirtchamber Sessions' Didn't know this and yeah I like it very much!!! Also checked out your vocal chain apps... Oooh a bit expensive... And I am eyeing on Korg Gagdet for the next sale ;-P

  • @uglyskratch said:
    @richardyot I really love your feedbacks and judgements Richard! :-) Do you know the NPR Tiny Desk Concert Series? The descriptions about the music and performance there are so on point... Your descriptions about what you hear are as good as theirs!

    Thanks so much for the feedback! And thanks for introducing me to the 'Dirtchamber Sessions' Didn't know this and yeah I like it very much!!! Also checked out your vocal chain apps... Oooh a bit expensive... And I am eyeing on Korg Gagdet for the next sale ;-P

    Yeah I love the Tiny Desk concerts :)

    If you like the Dirtchamber Sessions (I had you down as a Prodigy fan) then you might also enjoy "2 Many DJs" by Soulwax - it's better if you can find the original CD because the YouTube version blanks some songs out (including the very best bit of the CD when Destiny's Child segues into Dolly Parton, it's crazy):

  • This is my entry for this month. As always i'm really curious to hear

    https://song.link/s/3Yqlw5g56EpTdEudXQeII0

    I'm going to listen to your music later. I want to sit down for that.

  • @DrRinkel Nice relaxing smooth LoFi Beat! The Piano Sample sounded a bit familiar to me, I wonder if I even flipped that one myself once.. mmmh.. The only problem I always got with hiphop beats in general is that it is one loop without a lot of variation and surprises... I know, when you put some rapper over it and add some scratches etc. it doesn't bother, but me always get anxious and wanna skip forward when nothing else is happening than the same loop over and over again... Maybe at least some B Part would already help to freshen things up ;-)

    @richardyot Haha the 2 many DJs Record had for years its space on my MP3 player (Loved to listen to it when I was going crazy doing Freestyle Slalom Skating) together with Krafty Kuts and A Skillz Beattapes... And yeah I really like the first Prodigy Album (also the 2nd and the 3rd also was nice... then I didn't really follow them anymore) But since I started to make music I found that I am strongly influenced by the late 90ies sound (Bristol !!)

  • @richardyot Haha the 2 many DJs Record had for years its space on my MP3 player (Loved to listen to it when I was going crazy doing Freestyle Slalom Skating) together with Krafty Kuts and A Skillz Beattapes... And yeah I really like the first Prodigy Album (also the 2nd and the 3rd also was nice... then I didn't really follow them anymore) But since I started to make music I found that I am strongly influenced by the late 90ies sound (Bristol !!)

    Yeah it's a crazy and fun album, and definitely in the same kind of vibe as what you're doing. The Dirtchamber Sessions is even better though, just one great moment after another.

  • @DrRinkel said:
    This is my entry for this month. As always i'm really curious to hear

    https://song.link/s/3Yqlw5g56EpTdEudXQeII0

    I'm going to listen to your music later. I want to sit down for that.

    Nice piece, in your signature minimal style. The piano hook is what holds the whole thing together, I think this would work really well in the context of an album.

  • @richardyot; its amazing how you manage to keep producing this much high quality tracks. Again very wel produced. Meaby the drums are a bit to repetative (is that a word?). The end is also a bit abrupt for my taste.

    Your spoiler lyrics are missing one sentence btw.

    @Kitusai; OMG almost 20 minutes and, okay im honnest, it doesnt come to me as one coherent track. That said, there are a lot of interesting sounds going on. Aspecially the part around 7:30. To bad it ends very abrupt. But thanks for making this. It broadened my view on music.

    @uglyskratch; very very nice track. I really dig the birds in the beginning. The track sounds very professional bit sometimes a bit to much in your face. I like the pure acid bass. I heard its a AUv3 now :# . Also thanks for your comment on my track. Really appreciate it and it helpt me to grow as a musician.

  • @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

    A print on the wall
    It's faded and small
    Now I know what it means to me
    Part of our history
    It's part of me
    It's part of you
    It was back in a time that you both knew

    strawberry blonde
    with eyes of blue
    as she turns to look at you
    there’s a beautiful girl in a photograph and her eyes shine as she’s starting to laugh
    it’s a moment in time that will always be
    back in 1970

    the girl is long gone
    but her memory lives on
    I always knew what she meant to me
    more than a memory
    she’s part of me
    she’s part of you
    she’s a beautiful girl that we once knew

    strawberry blonde
    with eyes of blue
    as she turns to look at you
    there’s a beautiful girl in a photograph and her eyes shine as she’s starting to laugh

    it’s a moment in time that will always be
    back in 1970

    Lovely melody on this Richard. Great use of space. Only thing I might have done was change the lyric to back in 1973...only cos it sounds like it needs another syllable...(also u get to sound younger!!🤪😂) but that's me digging REAL deep...😁🤷🏼‍♂️ Good stuff though man, I enjoyed my listens.

  • @DrRinkel said:
    This is my entry for this month. As always i'm really curious to hear

    https://song.link/s/3Yqlw5g56EpTdEudXQeII0

    I'm going to listen to your music later. I want to sit down for that.

    Great chilled vibe on this, I enjoyed listening...no nits from me.😁🎶👊🏻🎶

  • Hi guys, this is my entry into a "write the next Bond song" challenge I'm taking part in. I would love any feedback you can offer. Thanks for your time. 😁🎶👍🏻🎶

    Listen to No Time To Die (My entry for the “write the next Bond song” challenge.🤵🏼👍🏻 by Pebble Wreck on #SoundCloud

  • @LostBoy85 said:
    Hi guys, this is my entry into a "write the next Bond song" challenge I'm taking part in. I would love any feedback you can offer. Thanks for your time. 😁🎶👍🏻🎶

    Listen to No Time To Die (My entry for the “write the next Bond song” challenge.🤵🏼👍🏻 by Pebble Wreck on #SoundCloud

    That's a very cool mashup of the traditional and the modern, with the classic sounding Bond-style intro followed by the more edgy beat. The arrangement overall is really good, with some great ebb and flow going on behind the vocal, and some really engaging and fun sections, I especially like the percussion.

    It's also got the right vibe for a Bond theme, grandiose and orchestral, with lots of dynamics and drama. The vocal is also suitably big.

    The melodies are good, and the song is really enjoyable. I had to put the Billie Eilish version (which I really like) out of my mind to really listen to this, but it's really good and dramatic and catchy.

  • Here’s my song for March. I completed it for @iOSTRAKON’s compilation album for Australia. It’s pretty minimalistic, I know.

  • @richardyot - Such an interesting tune. Could see it in a trippy 70’s/80’s montage of two estranged lovers. Hoping I can do it justice with my mixing.

    @Kitusai - Will admit I didn’t get through the whole thing. Interesting textures, just a bit too abstract for my tastes. I did dig the “Welcome to the Machine” vibe toward the beginning.

    @uglyskratch - Definitely digging the vibes here. A lot going on without it being overwhelming. A pretty sweet rollercoaster, and the samples worked really well. Only thing I’d really want different is for the drums to be brought forward more. They fell a bit flat for me.

    @DrRinkel - Like what you have going here. I find it a little difficult to keep grooving with it with the drum notes that are just off beat but that’s probably a personal thing.

    @LostBoy85 - Definitely a lot of drama in here, great for a movie for sure. I think you captured the theme really well. There are a couple of parts where it seems a little overcompressed and loses some dynamic range but it’s pretty solid overall.

  • @YourJunk said:
    Here’s my song for March. I completed it for @iOSTRAKON’s compilation album for Australia. It’s pretty minimalistic, I know.

    (Sorry it's taken me a few days to get around to reviewing this)

    I like the Celtic flavour from the melodic instruments, it's a pretty unusual sound in this context, and it gives the melodies a cool exotic flavour.

    I also think that the varied melodies are great - it's an interesting piece to listen to because of the interplay between the sounds and the constantly changing melodies. It's really hard to get a good balance between repetition and novelty with melodic content, but this track seems to get it just right because the melodies share a common theme but without being too repetitive.

  • @richardyot said:

    @YourJunk said:
    Here’s my song for March. I completed it for @iOSTRAKON’s compilation album for Australia. It’s pretty minimalistic, I know.

    (Sorry it's taken me a few days to get around to reviewing this)

    I like the Celtic flavour from the melodic instruments, it's a pretty unusual sound in this context, and it gives the melodies a cool exotic flavour.

    I also think that the varied melodies are great - it's an interesting piece to listen to because of the interplay between the sounds and the constantly changing melodies. It's really hard to get a good balance between repetition and novelty with melodic content, but this track seems to get it just right because the melodies share a common theme but without being too repetitive.

    Thank you, I really appreciate it. That’s exactly what I was going for so I’m really happy to hear that it came out in the final product.

  • @uglyskratch very dynamic and joyful music with a lot of breaks and surprises. Full of life. I even understand the French words at around 2’30 » :-)

    @DrRinkel a minimal relaxing beat with a hazy nostalgic piano, it was cool.

    @LostBoy85 I love the guitar lick and the vocal. Very professional and successful with perfect orchestrations (a bit oriental). Excellent work!

    @YourJunk I enjoyed the Celtic melodic travel. I’d have preferred other kind of percussions to fit with the mood of the music (and the spiritual video)

Sign In or Register to comment.