Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Somewhat OT — Initial Program?

edited March 2020 in Other

I picked up an OP-Z over the holidays and absolutely love it. I spent some time getting to know the synth engines and finally took the time to create my “empty project” template today. It didn’t take that long but it WAS a bit of a project and it got me thinking.

My Init patches are always the same — synths get “organ envelope,” all modulation and effects bypassed, and oscillators set to their most basic (usually saw wave, 16’, secondary oscillators bypassed). For sample and drum tracks I keep my favourite sample set loaded but remove as much complexity as possible — effects sends, modulation, multi-timbrality etc. For DAWs I’ll set up a basic 8-track template with a master compressor and delay/reverb sends on each track but my audio sources are always always initialized.

The upsides are that a) it forces you to learn your gear and b) it’s usually easier to add something you DO want to hear than it is to track down some rogue element you DON’T want to hear. But the downside is that you can easily get locked in routines, many of which can become habits. And habits usually result in you missing out on happy accidents or exploring new possibilities. I’m not sure why I do this so inflexibly, I just always have.

(Also, I don’t have OCD but I did get tested last year)
(EDIT: this sort of thing wasn’t a factor in my getting tested, it was due to some other long-term issues. Being particular about your hobbies and personal space is barely even a red flag on the test)

Anyhow, what’s your method?

Comments

• Routines indeed 😆 but I like to use a different methods of beginning every project...
    Sometimes I write in Notion, sometimes I start in AUM or Audiobus, and eventually everything gets ported to Cubasis.

Just a sideline: We with OCD have been prepared for the corona pandemic for years 😂 🧼 🚿