Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Borderlands Granular rhythmic live jam (w/ Quanta, iPulsaret, SpaceCraft, Spectrum, Dedalus)

Grains on grains on grains….

Borderlands Granular is one of the “purest” touchscreen instrument experiences. Everything is based on moving, scaling, rotating, etc.

Previously it excelled at creating background ambiences and sonic beds, but the recent update with tempo synced grains means things can get a lot more rhythmic!

Using Borderlands to make the rhythmic backing for a track? Strange times indeed….

This is another diversion that’s turned into a full track. To flesh it out I decided to break out all my granular synths and effects (and only granular synths and effects).

Featuring Borderlands Granular for the rhythmic bed running through an instance of Granular (from the Spectrum Synthesizer Bundle); Quanta for the main pad running through another instance of Granular; iPulsaret for the second synth running through Dedalus granular delay. And Spacecraft Granular for additional rhythmic textures. Hosted, as ever, in Audiobus and AUM.

Comments

• Really good. Sounded good even on my bad headphones.

The Grain master.

• @sigma79 said:
    Really good. Sounded good even on my bad headphones.

The Grain master.

Thanks! Initially worked on with built-in speakers, so comparable to "bad headphones"! That said, there should be enough low end thump for a listen on a big system....

• Excellent really loved that!
    Add some Tardigrain for some extra grainy spice!
    :)

• Big time respect for this glorious alchemy.

• this is some good stuff

• I like this a lot.

What are you using for samples?

• @id_23 said:
    Excellent really loved that!
    Add some Tardigrain for some extra grainy spice!
    :)

Thank you!

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I don't have Tardigrain, nor iDensity (being the other major granular synth on iOS). Maybe I'll add those at some point and do a reprise!

• @Scarred_Archimedes said:
    Big time respect for this glorious alchemy.

@reasOne said:
    this is some good stuff

Thank you both! It was fun running with the idea of "all granular and only granular"

• @cian said:
    I like this a lot.

What are you using for samples?

Thanks!

Regarding the samples:
    In Borderlands, on the top left is a sample that's included with the app. It's what I used to start exploring the new tempo-sync feature and then get the idea to make a full granular track. I kept meaning to replace it with my own as I'm usually a stickler for "rolling my own", but I grew to like the sound and decided to just keep it. Also, since I'm just playing two thin slices it's not really apparent what the source is.

Top right is a bass line that I recorded for the purpose of this track; from, I believe, iPulsaret... maybe Quanta? One of those two....

Below are closed hi-hat and open hi-hat samples. I'm quite happy with how using the motion recorder works as a way to play a hi-hat.

The long sample that I record moving and stretching is a reel for the Make Noise Morphagene hosted at Freesound.org, apparently of Autechre's Machinedrum backup. I've pulled individual sounds out of that, but wanted to see how it would sound as ornamental percussion, being sampled from the synchronized grain clouds. Again, happy with the result.

Pro Tip: All of the Morphagene reels at Freesound.org would make great sources for any granular application (assuming you're not a "roll your own" snob ; ) especially the apps where you poke at the waveform (e.g. Borderlands, SpaceCraft, iDensity)

Quanta is using a string synth sample. IPulsaret is granulating it's built-in harmonic oscillator.

And SpaceCraft... I think that's a drum loop from another track I was working on? Can't quite remember.

Honestly, the whole thing came together really quickly. It just took a while to find the time to film it and then more time to edit.

• Thanks!

• Excellent tip regarding those Morphagene reels! They do indeed sound perfect for all the granular apps.

Regarding iDensity, I think I've had the most fun and success with that app when granulating voice recordings. Not quite sure why, maybe the controls simply were a good fit.

• @aplourde said:
    Grains on grains on grains….

Borderlands Granular is one of the “purest” touchscreen instrument experiences. Everything is based on moving, scaling, rotating, etc.

Previously it excelled at creating background ambiences and sonic beds, but the recent update with tempo synced grains means things can get a lot more rhythmic!

Using Borderlands to make the rhythmic backing for a track? Strange times indeed….

This is another diversion that’s turned into a full track. To flesh it out I decided to break out all my granular synths and effects (and only granular synths and effects).

Featuring Borderlands Granular for the rhythmic bed running through an instance of Granular (from the Spectrum Synthesizer Bundle); Quanta for the main pad running through another instance of Granular; iPulsaret for the second synth running through Dedalus granular delay. And Spacecraft Granular for additional rhythmic textures. Hosted, as ever, in Audiobus and AUM.

Excellent!

• @bleep said:
    Excellent tip regarding those Morphagene reels! They do indeed sound perfect for all the granular apps.

Regarding iDensity, I think I've had the most fun and success with that app when granulating voice recordings. Not quite sure why, maybe the controls simply were a good fit.

Yeah, I should take another look at iDensity. The thing is, I try to limit app-overlap and focus on learning what I have. At the time Borderlands seemed to do a lot of what iDensity did but with, IMO, a really cool and fun interface. The update to Borderlands has added some tremendous possibilities, but it's still focused on "playing". I'm sure that iDensity would allow for more, uh, granular control....

• @mrcanister @Gavinski @espiegel123

Thank you all!

I remember a while ago someone asking if it was possible to use Borderlands for rhythmic stuff and not just washes of sound. This started as experiments with the new features to see what was possible and grew from there.

Definitely excited by all the new features and where this could lead... granular based DnB...? Pairing this with GlitchCore?

• @aplourde said:
    @mrcanister @Gavinski @espiegel123

Thank you all!

I remember a while ago someone asking if it was possible to use Borderlands for rhythmic stuff and not just washes of sound. This started as experiments with the new features to see what was possible and grew from there.

Definitely excited by all the new features and where this could lead... granular based DnB...? Pairing this with GlitchCore?

How many cameras did you have set up? I am curious how people video their sessions.

• @espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

Thank you all!

How many cameras did you have set up? I am curious how people video their sessions.

Three for this and that's the usual number. I've done four, but I don't think it really added all that much.

Ultimately I'm capturing a live performance of me jabbing at a piece of glass, so I want it to have a little more visual interest than just a single camera shot! But I'm not aiming for Perplex On-style visual art; this is documentation, but, hopefully, documentation that looks nice.

1- One camera directly above to clearly see the screen and what's going on. Except, of course, when I’m trying to hit a bunch of things at the same time and my hands are blocking the view.

2- So a second view from the top edge of the iPad looking back towards me to see things when my hands are above the iPad.

Both of these are just iOS devices (current and old iPhones).

3- Finally there’s a "real" camera with a macro lens for either a macro or shallow DOF “beauty shot”.

When I used four cameras the forth was just my old iPad propped up against the leg of the main tripod. It was nice to have another view, but not essential, so I don't think I'll keep doing that.

Also, I started an Instagram account to force me to release stuff on a more frequent cadence (but without the pressure / effort of a full YouTube track). For those I’ll use one, maybe two cameras to keep things quick and easy. Usually the “real” camera for the shallow DOF.

• @aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

Thank you all!

Three for this and that's the usual number. I've done four, but I don't think it really added all that much.

Ultimately I'm capturing a live performance of me jabbing at a piece of glass, so I want it to have a little more visual interest than just a single camera shot! But I'm not aiming for Perplex On-style visual art; this is documentation, but, hopefully, documentation that looks nice.

1- One camera directly above to clearly see the screen and what's going on. Except, of course, when I’m trying to hit a bunch of things at the same time and my hands are blocking the view.

2- So a second view from the top edge of the iPad looking back towards me to see things when my hands are above the iPad.

Both of these are just iOS devices (current and old iPhones).

3- Finally there’s a "real" camera with a macro lens for either a macro or shallow DOF “beauty shot”.

When I used four cameras the forth was just my old iPad propped up against the leg of the main tripod. It was nice to have another view, but not essential, so I don't think I'll keep doing that.

Also, I started an Instagram account to force me to release stuff on a more frequent cadence (but without the pressure / effort of a full YouTube track). For those I’ll use one, maybe two cameras to keep things quick and easy. Usually the “real” camera for the shallow DOF.

You did a really nice job with both the music and the video.