Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video demo of Real Piano from Gismart..honestly this is a little gem, with a cracking guitar sound.

I would have paid more for this just for the guitar. You know that harmony style guitar made famous by Brian May, where to get the effect you have to play each note on its own to build up the chord, well this sounds like that just playing the chord on the keys, I love this.

Comments

• Thanks Doug. It sounds awesome with AUFX Space/Swirl and AUFX Peak.

• That was a good find! Liking that Brian May guitar - worth every penny I didn't have to spend!

• edited March 2014

• Super-interesting to know that that guitar sound is interesting to people :) Is that very different from ThumbJam's default electric guitar sound?

• Honestly, I have never found an app that will do that, its more than just a sound, the only way to get that sound is to multitrack each note seperatly in a DAW, or you can try running single notes through a harmonizing app like Harmony Voice. The only problem with that is you are then locked into a specific key and if you hit a wrong note it sounds awful.

• edited March 2014

The reason why the original Brian May method requires multi-tracking each note separately is that it's basically processing each note separately (via amp, effects etc) and then mixing the processed notes together, rather than the more common guitar fx chain which receives a mix of notes from a guitar and processes them all at once.

Thus, any app that plays wet (i.e. already amp'ed and processed) lead guitar samples should be able to sound like this. This is exactly what ThumbJam does with its default Electric Guitar sound patch. Try it.

• I just tried it, its not the same, not even close. For a start the notes don't hold for more than a few seconds and fade at different times. I love Thumb Jam its an amazing app for many reasons. And I'm not disrespecting your knowledge of guitar FX or recording techniques, I'm just saying that the way the guitar has been sampled in Real Piano sounds like no other app. Down to how the sample has been looped you truly get infinite sustain thats sounds like each note was recorded with an E-Bow. Not everyone is gonna like the sound or the effect, I think it sounds really good. You are limited to how much a sound like that could be used, but if you wanted that harmonised guitar feel in a track thats going to be the easiest way to achieve it without overdubbing single notes.

• Infinite sustain is definitely cool.

I'm just finding this interesting cos the main reason I ended up licensing aufx for guitarism was that without it my distorted guitar sound would end up sounding something like what this app seems to offer and wouldn't give me the power chord sound I was looking for. So it's interesting to know that that would've been interesting to people as well :)

• We like the power chord sound too!

• @Rhism said:

Infinite sustain is definitely cool.

I'm just finding this interesting cos the main reason I ended up licensing aufx for guitarism was that without it my distorted guitar sound would end up sounding something like what this app seems to offer and wouldn't give me the power chord sound I was looking for. So it's interesting to know that that would've been interesting to people as well :)

Maybe thats whats giving it that sound, obviously it a vey fast attack, then the note holds at its initial volume and loops with zero variation in volume. I listened a little closer and found that the higher the note the slight vibrato is faster, the lower the note and its slighty slower, so not every note sampled seperatly, on a note that sustains forever this adds another dimention.
    It would be very very cool if you looked into some sought of E-Bow effect.

As you probably know E Bows are designed to vibrate one string at a time, thus giving infinate sustain. The sustained guitar sound at the beginning of With Or Without You by U2 was done with an E Bow. I'm just waffling now because I dont really know enough about it. Also Big Country used them nearly all the time. And interestly they still make them
    http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/EBow-Plus-Electronic-Bow-for-Guitar/GDP?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+General&utm_content=4qVK9Wnf|dt_pcrid_34547667919_plid__kword__match__

Let me know what you think.

• I've add an e-bow in my Amazon wish list for months now. Sorry for being slightly to, but I'm wondering if anyone owns one and what you think of it.

• Whatever you do, don't get one from Los Angeles. That E-Bow LA virus can be quite nasty...

• @funjunkie27 said:

I've add an e-bow in my Amazon wish list for months now. Sorry for being slightly to, but I'm wondering if anyone owns one and what you think of it.

I dont have one, but tried one along time ago, took a bit if getting use too, and not a bad price. There are some great YT Videos about the e bow and this one is cool because he explain the device and then does not go OTT with the demo.

On the other hand this is an older video from the amazing Phil Keaggy, and shows what can be achieved with it.

And in referance to Paul eventually the blisters and puss oozing boils and flesh eating thing goes away and your good to go :-)

• Yeah...I've seen the Keaggy video before, and that was one of the sources to get me interested. Plus Phil seemed to heal nicely, or his isn't an LA ver. If it takes me longer than two weeks to get better than Phil, I won't have the patience to make it worthwhile. ;-)

• I have two of them from the 80s-90s both black with red led, an older one with the red logo and a slightly newer generation with the white logo. There was a newer gen version after that which a friend of mine has, if it still works, that was grey with a blue led and it had a switch on it which gave you an added octave up note.
    They are pretty cool if a bit of beast to record, very easy to overdrive the signal when the ebow is right over the guitar pickup but that's where it sounds best. When using it I tend to play up and down the strings more than across them.

While I really like my ebows, a little bit can go a long way.

• I've got one that I rarely use. I've thought about digging it out, and trying it through some guitar-to-synth apps, such as Jam Synth or MIDIMorphosis, just to see if I can get something crazy happening.

• Thanks guys. I had heard that it was pretty sensitive. Still toying with the idea.

• I want one now

• Downloading the 99 cent version now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk