Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Positive advice for dealing with Covid-19 (no politics or complaints about governance please)

Comments

• I now understand why exists so much people that believes in Gods and other fallacies.

Amazing how much ignorant are the medium people

• edited March 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2020

@Max23 said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    My advice would be to go straight to information sources and bypass news media. Here's the best website I've found so far for being purely fact based:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    has tons of links and particularly a link to the WHO official feed.

numbers rising daily
    now its 6% dead ! :o

a day or two ago it was 2%

Your reading of the statistics is incorrect. That 6% mortality rate is for closed cases and ignores the percentage adjustment for the many thousands of open cases with mild symptoms who presumably will recover.

• edited March 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I found the U.K. press conference regarding the virus to be as honest as it could be without going towards worrying people overtly.

Yeah no doubt people will do the usual party politics thing, but the two medical people made a great deal of sense to me. It’s how it is - there is no actions that will make everyone perfectly safe and that will not be criticised by some. Some are going to die. I am only fifty but have poor health at the moment, so assess myself with some risk. At least more than most younger fitter people. Yet, I’m still more healthy than many much older folks - I worked in a care home a few years back and then the home merged with another home - many of the residents died during the process of moving. Stuff in life is like this - people die at times in seemingly pointless and meaningless ways. This we cannot stop, only reduce the risks as much as possible.

So the advice I will give is the advice I will live to myself:

Read and consume as much information as you can, but be aware that much of it will have little value. Discard what you can and try to keep aware of how bias affects ours and others judgements. Most of the well regarded information has usually been repeated by now and is common sense - such as hand washing.

Weigh up the risks carefully of every action. Things like reaction segregation of the elderly is proven to do more harm often than just continuing with usual safe practices. So reacting now or before we need to may save a few, or it may make the situation worse.

Playing the blame game doesn’t work. Some choices will be later shown to be the wrong ones, but the vast majority of people want the best results possible. Where these sorts of incidents are concerned, even people who truly care will make mistakes and some will have to make calls that will haunt them forever. I say this not to be political, but so that we remember one thing - things will be tense and the calmer we can all keep, the more chance we have of maximising the lives we save.

I would just sum these up as:

Be informed.
    Be responsible.
    Be respectful.
    Be thoughtful.
    Be careful.
    Be positive.
    But continue to live the best you can. One thing that always comes out of the bad that life can throw at humans, is that some rise up and do wonderful selfless acts. In the worst of times, we often show ourselves to be the best we can :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I found the U.K. press conference regarding the virus to be as honest as it could be without going towards worrying people overtly.

Yeah no doubt people will do the usual party politics thing, but the two medical people made a great deal of sense to me. It’s how it is - there is no actions that will make everyone perfectly safe and that will not be criticised by some. Some are going to die. I am only fifty but have poor health at the moment, so assess myself with some risk. At least more than most younger fitter people. Yet, I’m still more healthy than many much older folks - I worked in a care home a few years back and then the home merged with another home - many of the residents died during the process of moving. Stuff in life is like this - people die at times in seemingly pointless and meaningless ways. This we cannot stop, only reduce the risks as much as possible.

Read and consume as much information as you can, but be aware that much of it will have little value. Discard what you can and try to keep aware of how bias affects ours and others judgements. Most of the well regarded information has usually been repeated by now and is common sense - such as hand washing.

Weigh up the risks carefully of every action. Things like reaction segregation of the elderly is proven to do more harm often than just continuing with usual safe practices. So reacting now or before we need to may save a few, or it may make the situation worse.

Playing the blame game doesn’t work. Some choices will be later shown to be the wrong ones, but the vast majority of people want the best results possible. Where these sorts of incidents are concerned, even people who truly care will make mistakes and some will have to make calls that will haunt them forever. I say this not to be political, but so that we remember one thing - things will be tense and the calmer we can all keep, the more chance we have of maximising the lives we save.

Be informed.
    Be responsible.
    Be respectful.
    Be thoughtful.
    Be careful.
    Be positive.
    But continue to live the best you can. One thing that always comes out of the bad that life can throw at humans, is that some rise up and do wonderful selfless acts. In the worst of times, we often show ourselves to be the best we can :)

The BBC coverage made me feel slightly less anxious about it.

Probably the intention, and probably putting a glossier face on things than is actually true, but I’ll take that for now.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I found the U.K. press conference regarding the virus to be as honest as it could be without going towards worrying people overtly.

Be informed.
    Be responsible.
    Be respectful.
    Be thoughtful.
    Be careful.
    Be positive.

The BBC coverage made me feel slightly less anxious about it.

Probably the intention, and probably putting a glossier face on things than is actually true, but I’ll take that for now.

It’s like the long time conundrum of breaking bad news to people - there is no correct way that has the best result for all. Even non verbal emphatically motivated posturing can mean different things in different countries. God, the worlds complex. So glad some of the pleasures we have in life can still be simple.... back to making noisy music me thinks :)

• @pauly said:
    It looks like kids are often not very affected by the virus, but can catch it without symptoms. I'm kind of glad now we didn't plan Easter holidays with either of my rather old parents (who live several hours flight away). It'd be nasty going for a family visit and ending up giving to them.

Kids being asymptomatic is good for the virus and bad for those of us in risk groups (especially those of us with kids!). As kids won't be staying home when they have it and thus will be more effective spreading it.

• ‪The Day Today - It's Alright

• @MonzoPro said:

@kobamoto said:
    here's the thing though, I don't want it.

No, it’s bloody horrible. I fear for my sister too, in her 70’s, just getting over lung cancer and living in a highly populated area. Good tips from @pauly though so I’ll pass them on.

Personally I work from home, and Mrs Monzo has that option too for some of the time. Once they close the schools and Monzo Jnr is home full time, we’ll bunker down here until hopefully the first wave passes, assuming we haven’t got it already.

I'm sure your sister will be fine, keeping you and yours in my prayers.

• @LinearLineman said:
    isn’t it just common sense that people err on the side of caution? Sure there will be runs on groceries, and folks like @Zaubrer will miss their pasta for a few days. If there is no problem the stores will fill up in a few days and the spaghetti ala carbonara will flow like rivers again (are the rivers still flowing?).
    My girlfriend and I are both over 65 with respiratory problems. I have overstocked our pantry but there is no food shortage here in Savannah, Georgia. So I am not inconveniencing anyone. Everything I bought is consumable over a long period of time, so no wasted money. So, am I doing wrong here?

What’s so interesting about these prognostications (other than that they are prognostications) is that in six months (or three) we will know who was right and who was wrong. Unfortunately, there is no value in being right or wrong. The only thing that counts is the protection of human lives by people who care about such things. If you think it was gonna be real bad and it doesn’t turn out that way you were a scared goose. If, on the other hand, as my ophthalmologist said to me today, this thing is really bad shit, then those who promoted it as overblown hype may have convinced others of their rectitude and those others may be very sick or dead. So which is better... scared goose or Pollyanna propagandist? Maybe just better for everyone to keep their mouths shut... with the bonus of less spit possibly transmitting disease.

Whatever this is, it will not be the last. The states of preparedness across the globe are there for all to see... for example, almost all respirators in the US currently in service for flu victims (NPR) which means not a lot for those sick ones to come. In the US government resources built up during previous times are no longer in place as they were after the Ebola outbreak. I am not making a political point here. Just talking about the willingness to be prepared for an inevitability.... or not.

I’m taking a similar approach and will try to isolate myself as much as possible and plan on trying to minimize my contact with other people by having enough food and other supplies to be by myself. I live in a small town with one pharmacy. Last fall, 11 of the employees there had the flu and we only have two grocery stores so if it comes to our community where there are a lot of elderly people, it will be terrible as there are so many bottle necks in terms of where everyone has to go. I feel better doing what it is I can do and seek to avoid being someone with the virus but doesn’t know it yet and ends up spreading it.

Many people in my community won’t have this luxury so I feel obligated to take advantage of my ability to minimize my role in the viral transmission cycle.

• Spring is gradually arriving and with it the pollen. People will suspect everyone else just for having a normal sniffy nose and sneezing.

• @u0421793 said:
    Spring is gradually arriving and with it the pollen. People will suspect everyone else just for having a normal sniffy nose and sneezing.

Or avoid them like the plague ;)

• @kobamoto said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kobamoto said:
    here's the thing though, I don't want it.

No, it’s bloody horrible. I fear for my sister too, in her 70’s, just getting over lung cancer and living in a highly populated area. Good tips from @pauly though so I’ll pass them on.

Personally I work from home, and Mrs Monzo has that option too for some of the time. Once they close the schools and Monzo Jnr is home full time, we’ll bunker down here until hopefully the first wave passes, assuming we haven’t got it already.

I'm sure your sister will be fine, keeping you and yours in my prayers.

Thank you Kobi, you too mate.

• edited March 2020

Beware the hype in the newspapers/online/social media.

Right now I'm seeing quite a few newspaper reports and headlines and tweets etc. saying "Seattle is a ghost town" and I saw a picture of a enormous warehouse full of empty shelves which is supposed to be full of food.
    I'm in Seattle - what utter nonesense this is, I've not noticed any difference in the number of people walking around downtown, catching the bus, going to the gym...
    There are some minor noticable differences (a few more people in supermarket queues, pasta and bean shelves selling out but being replenished the next morning, people wiping down gym equipement more diligently).
    But for news or anybody who's not here to report the place is a ghosttown is utterly ridiculous and irresponsible sensationalist nonesense.

Not to say its not going to turn that way everntually though, scientists think its widespread here and been spreading for 6 weeks, just not detected much yet, and Seattle could be set to become the next Wuhan over the next few weeks.

• @mungbeans said:
    Beware the hype in the newspapers/online/social media.

They are going to highlight instances of shortages where they can find them. It's early yet.
    There will be shortages of critical supplies:

hand sanitizers will run out in most retails outlets
    painters can't buy more masks to do the wood sanding to prep a job

Not hyping anything really. If you can choose from 5 stores because you can drive and live in
    middle class suburbs you have more time before you see anything.

I'm just looking for information I can use and share. That's the most responsible plan.

My nephew was at a Walmart when a recent batch of hand sanitizer was running and it schook him to see how people reacted to get some. It's a feeding frenzy to buy basic products.

Of course he smart move is to route these goods to hospitals and clinics.

The US mishandled the testing kits and haven't been able to ramp up production for they can't even tell you if you have it or not. Not enough kits and regulations around who should get tested as a priority.

Every country will likely hard the kits they can produce for their own citizens. South Korea reportedly is way ahead but their kits may have significant false positives. Time will tell.
    Information is power in an epidemic. Ignorance is a liability. Be powerful.

• I live in a town next to where both of the confirmed cases are in my area. I also work in a city right on the border of where one of them worked as well and it happened to be a children’s school. There were several other potential cases, but these were confirmed. It’s suspected several people already have it in the area and only have mild symptoms.

I’ve noticed a few people coughing but who knows what the cause is. I had a sore throat for a while, but I’m convinced it’s allergies as many trees are starting to flower.

What am I doing? Not worrying too much, but I am young and have no health problems. I am taking off work tomorrow to get my passport application submitted in case things start shutting down and I end up delayed submitting it.

I stocked up on a few things, but really only things I’d be eating anyway and only “just in case”. I just got back from a grocery store. I can confirm they were completely out of stock of parsley, and I’m sure it’s because of the Coronavirus. They had plenty of sanitizer, cleaning supplies, everything else, etc.

• @DMan said:
    ... can confirm they were completely out of stock of parsley ...

Wait what, come again?!

• edited March 2020

@iammane said:

@DMan said:

Wait what, come again?!

AND if you add it into a facial steam or lotion it helps dry skin and minimizes freckles.

• lol awesome, I had no idea!!

• Here in the UK, containment phase is over, we are now into the delay phase, says the chief medical officer, but according to the health minister, we are still in the containment phase.
    As far as I can tell delay phase is washing hands for at least 20 seconds, then putting your hands together, getting down on your knees and praying for warmer weather.

• @knewspeak said:
    Here in the UK, containment phase is over, we are now into the delay phase, says the chief medical officer, but according to the health minister, we are still in the containment phase.
    As far as I can tell delay phase is washing hands for at least 20 seconds, then putting your hands together, getting down on your knees and praying for warmer weather.

I'm pretty sure this is the whole deal (and human nature) encapsulated in a few short seconds of inevitability:

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@knewspeak said:
    Here in the UK, containment phase is over, we are now into the delay phase, says the chief medical officer, but according to the health minister, we are still in the containment phase.

I'm pretty sure this is the whole deal (and human nature) encapsulated in a few short seconds of inevitability:

:# :D

• @iammane said:

@DMan said:

Wait what, come again?!

It was my poor attempt at humor. Sure parsley would have some health benefits, but most people aren’t aware of them or don’t care anyway.

My point was that pretty much everything was in stock and there seems to be no panic here, despite it actually being here at the moment. The parsley really was out of stock though. My food isn’t the same without it.

• I want to advise everyone to go to the sauna with hot steam.
    you go into the steam room and then immediately plunge into the ice pool (if there is no pool, use a bucket for dousing), then a break with herbal tea or mineral water. repeat three times.
    I have been doing this once a week for many years, although more often than not.
    at work, I meet hundreds of people every day, including during the annual flu epidemics, while it helps. This is a good way to boost your immunity.

• Shelves emptying here already, as the farmers fill up their barns with loo roll and tins of baked beans (sensible combination).

Though to be fair the stores run out quickly here anyway as we’re at the end of the supply chain, middle of nowheresville. One year we ended up with a Fray Bentos tinned chicken pie for Christmas dinner, as the town was snowed in.

• edited March 2020

@waterdrop said:
    I want to advise everyone to go to the sauna with hot steam.
    you go into the steam room and then immediately plunge into the ice pool (if there is no pool, use a bucket for dousing), then a break with herbal tea or mineral water. repeat three times.
    I have been doing this once a week for many years, although more often than not.
    at work, I meet hundreds of people every day, including during the annual flu epidemics, while it helps. This is a good way to boost your immunity.

people with any heart conditions might be cautious of this method.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Shelves emptying here already, as the farmers fill up their barns with loo roll and tins of baked beans (sensible combination).

Though to be fair the stores run out quickly here anyway as we’re at the end of the supply chain, middle of nowheresville. One year we ended up with a Fray Bentos tinned chicken pie for Christmas dinner, as the town was snowed in.

Snow and Fray Bentos that may have slowed the spread if it had happened this year.

• edited March 2020

The issue with this one is it’s spreading quickly, is 100 times more lethal than flu, and there’s no cure for at least a year.

So while all this ‘calm down dear’ stuff is welcome, it’s not taking into account the massive disruption it’s going to cause.

So for example - UK hospitals are looking at cancelling other operations to provide resources for the virus stuff. So more people may die, that don’t even have it. Staff shortages with care workers, ambulance drivers off sick etc. And if it becomes endemic, we’ll all have to adapt.