Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

With Great Power, etc…

Lately I’ve started to consider the power consumption of synths. Of the vintage or old synths I have, many have quite a power-hungry hunger for power. The Oberheim Matrix 1000 rack units I have each contain quite a hefty toroidal transformer, and when all three are on, must add up to quite a current demand. Similar with all the other old gear. Some of the old gear was able to run on batteries (202, 303, 606 and many more) but a lot are more demanding.

Now, modern electronic synths can and generally do exhibit a far lower current draw, although this is not a universal, simply a potential indicator. A bunch of Volcas for example might not require too much power even when there’s a whole tableful of them.

Of course, possibly the most power-efficient synths of all are those running on iOS / iPadOS and this is I think something we can be proud of using and should actively promote.