Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Synth Waveforms

I know it’s a bit geeky, but I was checking the waveforms from a couple of different synths and was surprised at the results.

Now keep in mind this is very simplistic and could have a world of differences I’ve not taken into account , but i did try and make sure that all the settings on both of the synths was the same as far as possible.

My non scientific results were as follows:

Bleass Alpha: the waveforms are pretty much as I would expect and are pretty much identical every key press.

Magellan 2: the waveforms are not quite as I would expect for them and there is quite some variation each key press that I can’t account for.

Mood: as the Alpha, waves are as I would expect, and identical each key press.

Kauldron: pretty much the same as Mood and Alpha.

Keep in mind I have pretty much tried to make sure there was no rogue modulations, fx, differences in velocity settings, envelopes identical, filters bypassed etc etc etc.

I know to some this is not very interesting, as it’s non scientific testing and hardly means jack to most, but hey someone might want to look deeper and see if it’s either a false result or something is actually affecting Magellan’s waveforms.

Maybe I was just really really bored :p

Comments

• It depends on if the oscillator phase-reset is enabled or not...
    (Ie. if the oscillators are 'free running' or 'phase-reset' on note-on).

• Some kind of analog oscillator drift coded in maybe?

• After the third set of tests where I redid the whole test from scratch, I’ve got a normal result, so proved my findings to be false :)

• Interesting @Fruitbat1919. What were you using to look at the waveforms?

• @kinkujin said:
    Interesting @Fruitbat1919. What were you using to look at the waveforms?

The Oscilloscope that comes with ApeMatrix

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    After the third set of tests where I redid the whole test from scratch, I’ve got a normal result, so proved my findings to be false :)

😸

• I had a look at the DWGS waveforms of iM1 in this famous episode of WTFKnobs:

• @u0421793 said:
    I had a look at the DWGS waveforms of iM1 in this famous episode of WTFKnobs:

All your bass are......

• Speaking of waveforms, is there an AuV3 where you can draw your own to use as oscillators?
    I really like that feature in Caustic.

• @jolico said:
    Speaking of waveforms, is there an AuV3 where you can draw your own to use as oscillators?

WaveSHAPER and S_nVox (in the Sampler, with the pen tool) can both do it. And PPG WaveGenerator has a slightly quirky implementation of wave drawing/editing, although the AU version is stripped-down - you might have to reach for the standalone for that functionality.

• @jolico said:
    Speaking of waveforms, is there an AuV3 where you can draw your own to use as oscillators?

Shapesynth too

• edited February 2020

@colonel_mustard said:
    S_nVox (in the Sampler, with the pen tool)

You can also use the Generator or Analog Generator, which I find more straightforward (you need to change the waveform to Drawn or Drawn Spline)

• edited March 2020

@jolico said:

In Drambo, you'll be able to do that too (by drawing line segments).

• @jolico said:

If you enjoy making sounds by drawing on the touch screen, get VirSyn Addictive Pro!