Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ghost MIDI connection between two devices

I just started noticing that when I open up a MIDI app (e.g. AUM, Gadget), it creates a connection between two of my USB MIDI devices (Korg MicroKEY AIR to Social Entropy Engine) that persists until I reboot my iPad. I'm thinking it was introduced with iOS 13 because I never noticed it before my iPad updated from 12 to 13 without my consent. I only discovered it when trying to add StepPolyArp Unit between the two devices. Unfortunately, adding this MIDI effect doesn't break the implicit connection that was made and the arpeggios sound strange because of this. I can duplicate it easily with just loading AUM (no tracks, no presets, no MIDI mappings at all). Then I can close AUM after opening it, and the connections stays! I've ruled out Bluetooth by removing my Bluetooth MIDI app and verifying that there is no Bluetooth connection in AUM or Gadget. I'm guessing it's these two devices because they're sending/receiving on channel 1, respectively. Anyone else experience a similar issue?

Thanks,
chisel316

Comments

• Wasn’t there a problem with the Korg keyboards not working on iOS 13 for a time, could it be something related to that problem?

• @knewspeak Thanks for the reply. The issue Korg had was with Bluetooth not working. I updated the firmware. I also tried changing the transmit channel. It still occurs whenever I load any app that uses MIDI and persists until I reboot. There must be a hook that the OS has that the MicroKEY is registered with to automatically send MIDI data without any explicit routing in the app.

• @chisel316 said:
    @knewspeak Thanks for the reply. The issue Korg had was with Bluetooth not working. I updated the firmware. I also tried changing the transmit channel. It still occurs whenever I load any app that uses MIDI and persists until I reboot. There must be a hook that the OS has that the MicroKEY is registered with to automatically send MIDI data without any explicit routing in the app.

Does the device show up in lists of CoreMidi ports after you power-cycle your iPad?

• I assume they’re connected by to a hub with the uplink going to the iPad. Does the connection break if you unplug and replug one or more of the devices?

• @espiegel123 Yes. In fact, just launching the MIDI Wrench app to show the list of CoreMIDI devices is enough to trigger the connection!

@wim That's correct. If I unplug a device and plug it back in it still retains the connection.

• @chisel316 said:
    @espiegel123 Yes. In fact, just launching the MIDI Wrench app to show the list of CoreMIDI devices is enough to trigger the connection!

@wim That's correct. If I unplug a device and plug it back in it still retains the connection.

Korg Gadget automatically connects and takes input from any CoreMidi hardware it detects (true of some other apps, too). So, you may want to turn Omni off in any such apps and set the device's midi channel to something they don't listen to by default.

• @espiegel123 said:

@chisel316 said:
    @espiegel123 Yes. In fact, just launching the MIDI Wrench app to show the list of CoreMIDI devices is enough to trigger the connection!

Korg Gadget automatically connects and takes input from any CoreMidi hardware it detects (true of some other apps, too). So, you may want to turn Omni off in any such apps and set the device's midi channel to something they don't listen to by default.

This is happening with my hardware. It's routing my MIDI keyboard to my MIDI sequencer (both hardware).