Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MONITORS: Affordable meets quality?

I know this has been done, but there is new gear at a good rate lately.

What do you use?

What do you want to use?

Need to invest..I mean charge....some monitors......

Thanks y'all.

Comments

• edited February 2020

I’m still rocking my 20+ year old Tannoy PBM 6.5’s powered by an adcom gfa 535ii amp for actual/
    critical mixing. But, last year I purchased the iLoud monitors for the bedroom set-up...and they sound, and preform, surprisingly well for their size.

• Still amazed at how good Tannoy Reveals sound for the price.

Would advise going shopping somewhere that will let you demo before deciding.

• @thatguysmitty said:
    I’m still rocking my 20+ year old Tannoy PBM 6.5’s powered by an adcom gfa 535ii amp for actual/
    critical mixing. But, last ear I purchased the iLoud monitors for the bedroom set-up...and they sound, and preform, surprisingly well for their size.

Wow!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Still amazed at how good Tannoy Reveals sound for the price.

Would advise going shopping somewhere that will let you demo before deciding.

Fair enough ! Thanks

• What's your price range?

• edited February 2020

That's weird: Posted in the MIDI Wind thread and my comment popped up here. Moved.

• edited February 2020

iLoud arrived today. It is a flat model that is not a “Micro Monitor”.

I have been using KRK VXT4, Fostex NF-01A, etc., but I wasn’t satisfied.
    If I’m rich, I’ll buy Musik. But I couldn't do that, so I looked at other options.

I go to a sunny place in my room and connect iLoud to iPAD or MBP via Bluetooth and start production. It doesn’t need even power connection. A rechargeable stereo powered speaker that can be moved quickly with one hand. Great.

Once the song is solid, mix it with SONY MDR-7506 and check the sound in the client's studio. And when I come home, adjust again with SONY MDR-7506. For now I like this method :)

• I use monoprice active monitors that are cheap, clear, and have never given me a problem. If you’re not in a room with acoustic treatment (I’m not) then I really don’t see the benefit of higher quality speakers. Flat(ish) response and volume without distortion are all I need. Apparently these came off the same factory line as the maudio bxa series.

• I have Adam Audio T7V Monitors.. The small one are cheaper.. (T5V but maybe need sub with them).. Compared with price with IKMultimedia it’s only about 45 euros more for Adam Audio which are respected in the music industry.. I Mix & Master with these babies.. But if you have not much space, that’s where it could be a disadvantage?... But it’s high quality & Good quality... The Adam are better than Yamaha & KRK hands down.. Just look at reviews.. Thomann is where I got mine... In the Bundle.. I haven’t seen such a great deal.. But the choice is yours mate..

https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_t7v_desktop_stand_bundle.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ik_multimedia_iloud_mtm.htm

• @Tarekith said:
    What's your price range?

Yep. All depends on what you want to spend and if you need amplification as well

• Presonus Eris E8 are amazing for their price... They play as good as other with price tag of E8 pair for single one.

• JBL 305 main
    PreSonus Eris 3.5 2nd

Great little combo :-)

• JBL 305s. Love em.

• Presonus Eris E5 and happy.

• @Tarekith said:
    What's your price range?

Hey buddy!

Thanks for actually responding

I don’t know

I had a pair of old hand me downs...in addition to building my studio gear needs while attempting to sharpen my craft as I begin new projects.

First time I have a need for my own home studio monitors.

I guess I can go $400-$900

• I needed to get something better than the iloud I was using so I went for the kali audio lp6’s (in white) as I needed front ported monitors & I am really happy with them.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Tarekith said:
    What's your price range?

Hey buddy!

I don’t know

I had a pair of old hand me downs...in addition to building my studio gear needs while attempting to sharpen my craft as I begin new projects.

A pair of Yamaha HS8’s will go for 700 US$. Happy with mine.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Tarekith said:
    What's your price range?

Hey buddy!

I don’t know

Then go for a Monitor & Sub combo.. Sub will take care of Low frequency, while monitors take care of the mids & highs.. It will be much better.. IKmultimedia are toys..

• @studs1966 said:
    IKmultimedia are toys..

Have you tried them?

• @mistercharlie said:

@studs1966 said:
    IKmultimedia are toys..

Have you tried them?

I went to Music shops in Nicosia & Paphos (I live in Cyprus) & listened to them... So I compared... I was curious as I had the option too... I have Adam Audio T7V with Adam T10s sub... Even just T7V Monitors alone, they can’t compare.. The IK Multimedia are good for as a Desktop.. Like upper class PC 2-1 standard speaker system.. The thing is, we make music.. We need the best form what we can afford.. The better the monitors, the more accurate we can get our sound for mixing & Mastering.. I work for various Record Label.. Most of my music is on Traxsource, Beatport, Spotify, ect.. I need the best monitors to do Music in the best possible way as I can.. Like us all really.. You pay for what you get.. What makes the Adam Audio Monitors stand out from the crowd, is the Ribbon Tweeters... But if people are happy with IK Multimedia Monitors.. Then cool.. Whatever floats the boat?..

• Monitors are weird, because rather than wanting the best sounding speakers, you want them to sound bad until you get your mix together. It’s nice to have some big, full monitors, but I’ve gotten a lot of use out of gutless speakers as a B set, to see how it will sound for the rest of the world that doesn’t listen on $700 speakers. I use a Behringer C50, an Auratone knockoff, in mono, and it is helpful next to the big monitors, because nothing sounds impressive on it, no width, no bass, but if you work out the midrange you can get it to sound nice. More recently I’ve been using the built in speakers in the iMac, they also make stuff sound really weird if it isn’t mixed right. Been thinking about getting a miserable little Bluetooth speaker, as the Auratone of modern times.

• Still happy with Adam A7X for a few years now....

• I tried the iLoud MTMs for a couple of weeks, comparing them to my HS8s. I ended up sending them back, but only because I use my speakers for more than just mixing. I also use them for guitar, and for drums etc with a Digitakt. In those cases I prefer the more “natural” room feel of the bigger speakers.

The HS8s also have a slightly fuller bass.

But the MTMs were incredible. When calibrated for the room, they’re extremely detailed. I asked a non-musician’s opinion on them, and they preferred the HS8 because the MTMs made one of the guitars on the mix sound muffled. To me, that makes the MTMs better monitors. The stereo accuracy is also amazing. And the bass is also great. The Yamahas only “won” in back-and-forth A/B testing. On their own, you’d be more than satisfied. If you’re coming from a smaller speaker (HS5-7) they’ll probably be better in bass terms.

In the end though, the HS8s won, but only because they’re better for playing live guitar, because I already own the HS8s (returning a pair of speakers is easier and cheaper than selling a pair), and because the HS8s look cooler (in white — the MTMs are black, although white ones are becoming available).

And before you scoff that looks don’t matter, my “studio” is also our living room :)

• edited February 2020

Room size is important to consider also.

Subwoofers can be do more harm than good unless you’re very very very very careful.

Good speakers, bad speakers, good headphones, bad headphones, built in phone speakers, car speakers and listening from outside the room with the door open etc all help when making final decisions here.

• edited February 2020

@thatguysmitty said:
    critical mixing. But, last year I purchased the iLoud monitors for the bedroom set-up...and they sound, and preform, surprisingly well for their size.

Yep Tannoy PBM 6.5’s here too through a Hafler Pro 2400 power amp .. my favorites. Also have Yamaha HS8’s and HS50’s. I use a Velodyne CT15, KRK 10s, and Yamaha HS8 subwoofers here and there for tracking.

• edited February 2020

Dynaudio BM5 are a good choice. I have the Mark 2 version since about 8 years. Then bought another pair for quadraphonic mixing (and for watching films in 5.1, adding a pair of JBL Micro for the center channel and sub). They are relatively transparent and neutral. Good for small rooms. They are small and therefore don't provide much bass, but I don't need that. There is a Mark 3 out. I think they are quite affordable for the quality.

But there are, meanwhile, a couple of other good monitors in that price range. Neumann, Focal, Genelec, Adam, ...